Several question as a new user

per...@inbox.lt

May 30, 2017, 5:02:08 AM5/30/17
to Alt-F
Running RC6 from snapshot on two DNS-320-A1 boxes each with 2x wd 3tb drives. Had to format flash and swap partitions on both boxes. I am reporting that RC6 appears to work on the 320 boxes.

I need to know if RC6 fixes the data loss problem by incorporating the script into the firmware or if it is fixed by using an updated kernel?

smb, ftp and nfs are enabled. I am seeing what I think is very slow performance for a rsync transfer between boxes: i.e. rsync -av --delete /mnt/sda2/directory/  ro...@192.168.0.6:/mnt/sda2/directory/   Note: I am not using the rsync server on either of the 320 boxes. The transfer is through ssh.

Could ssh running through inetd be a factor in network speed?

Sorry, but I don't have any hard network stats for you presently as the boxes are at home where there is no internet and I am at work. I can do this if required.

Thanks for your work on this project,

Perazim

João Cardoso

Jun 1, 2017, 10:39:48 AM6/1/17
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 10:02:08 UTC+1, perazim wrote:
Running RC6 from snapshot on two DNS-320-A1 boxes each with 2x wd 3tb drives. Had to format flash and swap partitions on both boxes. I am reporting that RC6 appears to work on the 320 boxes.

I need to know if RC6 fixes the data loss problem by incorporating the script into the firmware or if it is fixed by using an updated kernel?

The new kernel fixes the RC5 issue, so existing fixes should be removed.
Read the RC6 "release" notes, and the announcement topic and users followup reports.

smb, ftp and nfs are enabled. I am seeing what I think is very slow performance for a rsync transfer between boxes: i.e. rsync -av --delete /mnt/sda2/directory/  ro...@192.168.0.6:/mnt/sda2/directory/   Note: I am not using the rsync server on either of the 320 boxes. The transfer is through ssh.

rsync by default uses ssh, which by default uses encryption, which requires a powerful CPU which the box don't have.
Everything that requires encryption or compression will be "slow": ssh, rsync, ftps, sftp...
The exact "slowness" depends on the particular box model, the 323 being the slowest with some 1.5MBps to the 327L with some 6MBps for ssh.

For your particular case, it's better to do a mount using NFS or CIFS and run rsync locally, as that will not involve encryption nor compression -- that's what the native Alt-F backup script does, use Services->System, Backup.

If internet is required, encryption should be used and a faster and less secure crypto algorithm such as arc4 could be used.

Could ssh running through inetd be a factor in network speed?

No, that applies only to the initial session establishment.