Upgrading DNS-323 C1 from 1.5TB to 4TB drives, assistance needed

Charlie Cauchi

Jun 15, 2015, 4:26:10 PM6/15/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I currently have a DNS-323-C1 with 2x WDC WD15EARS also Firmware RC4.1.
I would like to upgrade my drives from 1.5TB to 4TB. The hard drives that I would like to upgrade to are 2x 4TB WD Red NAS EFRX. My question is will these drives work in my box? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Bert Broekhuizen

Jun 16, 2015, 3:45:58 PM6/16/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charilie,

They almost certainly will work (I guess better than 99.9% chance).
I have a DNS-323-B1 with two WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 drives. I successfully updgraded to them from the original Seagate 1.5TB drives.
I believe I was running 0.1RC3 firmware when I did the upgrade. Right now I'm running 0.1RC4.1.

Best regards,
Bert

Charlie Cauchi

Jun 18, 2015, 6:49:06 PM6/18/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Bert, will buy the HDD and post back what happens

notoneofmyseeds

Jun 19, 2015, 2:22:54 AM6/19/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 06/16/2015 09:45 PM, Bert Broekhuizen wrote:
> Hi Charilie,
>
> They almost certainly will work (I guess better than 99.9% chance).
> I have a DNS-323-B1 with two WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 drives. I
> successfully updgraded to them from the original Seagate 1.5TB drives.
> I believe I was running 0.1RC3 firmware when I did the upgrade. Right
> now I'm running 0.1RC4.1.
>
> Best regards,
> Bert
Hi Bert,

Would you mind saying how you went about upgrading the drives. Did you
have SAMBA shares issues when you did and how did you fix them. Or,
better, if you did not, what did you do in advance?

Cheers

Bert Broekhuizen

Jun 20, 2015, 8:47:09 AM6/20/15
to al...@googlegroups.com, notoneo...@gmx.de
Op vrijdag 19 juni 2015 08:22:54 UTC+2 schreef notoneofmyseeds:

I already had my shares set up with the old drives and didn't make changes to that. BTW, nowadays I'm using Linux computers and NFS only, so SAMBA shares aren't relevant for me anymore.
I had my old disks set up in a RAID1 configuration (I used Alt-F, starting from scratch, so not the original Dlink configuration) and mostly followed the info in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt-f/MMDq96UoLgk to migrate the disk setup and all data to the new disks. There were one or two minor deviations that I had to take, but I didn't write them down so I cannot spell them out here. One thing to note is that while the old RAID1 array was called md0, the RAID1 array on the new disks is md1, so I had to update the share info for SAMBA and NFS, replacing md0 with md1. That can easily be done via the Web UI.