Any plans for GUI to OpenVPN?

Rafal B

Apr 4, 2018, 3:16:37 PM4/4/18
to Alt-F
Hi,
I know there is a forum's thread with steps that need to be taken in order to configure OpenVPN: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt-f/iUuH_Sj2Q6o
but do you have a plan to create a GUI for setting up and configure OpenVPN within ALT-F?
I'm just a simple VPN user with subscription purchased from one of the markets VPN providers and only what I have are *.ovpn files available for download from VPN provider's web page for every VPN server located around the world.
It would be perfect if in ALT-F there will be "Configure" button available next to openvpn Service in Network Services section :-)
As an example how GUI for OpenVPN configuration looks like you can find searching Zomboided web pages.

João Cardoso

Apr 5, 2018, 2:09:16 PM4/5/18
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 20:16:37 UTC+1, Rafal B wrote:
Hi,
I know there is a forum's thread with steps that need to be taken in order to configure OpenVPN: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt-f/iUuH_Sj2Q6o
but do you have a plan to create a GUI for setting up and configure OpenVPN within ALT-F?

No, I haven't.
There are several possible configurations, server/client, routed/bridged, certificates/password, etc, and I'm not a VPN user or have a VPN account, so I couldn't test it.

I'm just a simple VPN user with subscription purchased from one of the markets VPN providers and only what I have are *.ovpn files available for download from VPN provider's web page for every VPN server located around the world.

I believe that you just need to rename your desired_server.ovpn file to desired_server.conf, put it in /etc/openvpn and start the service.

And there https://github.com/Zomboided/service.vpn.manager/wiki you will see a lot of supported servers, several others that should work but were not tested... I don't have the interest and resources to do all that testing (counter argument: the same happens with the DDNS inadyn client, for which I only test one free (forever) server, and yet I provide a simple webUI)