NEWS: logitechmediaserver, a streaming audio server supported by Logitech (formerly Slim Devices)

João Cardoso

May 1, 2015, 7:49:15 PM5/1/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Package: logitechmediaserver
Version: 7.8

Logitechmediaserver is a streaming audio server supported by Logitech (formerly Slim Devices).

The first time that is runs it will take a minute or so to start the wizard, please be patient;  while scanning your music files for the first time playing music might hiccup.
I have not actually tested it using Logitech hardware, but using a generic mp3 player and opening the URL http://the-box-ip:9000/stream.mp3, see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server

It's perl based, so you have to update the perl package first, if it's already installed.
A set of other packages were also created and will be installed to enable transcodng to MP3: sox, flac, faad2, wavpack, shine.
Transcoding from flac/m4a/ogg/aac/wav/wv to mp3 works OK on a DNS-320 using 'shine', which is a "poor's man" mp3 encoder, but not on a DNS-323 (but playing mp3 is fine).
'shine' is used for transcoding as 'lame' requires too much CPU.
The Alt-F service is called 'lms'.

Enjoy

Curso Palma

May 3, 2015, 8:52:26 AM5/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Have tried several 7.x version of LMS in the past on another platform (Synology NAS) and i would like to express my experience.

LMS is a powerful multimedia software but it is a RAM-eater in a incredible way. Synology advised to have 256Mb ram minimum, and it was really the bare minimum, without turning out fanciness like transcoding and so on.
Large libraries (+40.000 flac music files) can really slow down the machine it seems that hang...  not only during file indexing but anytime.

Personally i won't even try to run it on my 323, more ram-equipped nas can surely benefit from this package; from a audio-only point of view, having a forked-daap working on alt-f could be much more useful, since it will do gapless playback and not eat all the ram into a wormhole.