Can't access box after power outage

Raymond Tsui

Apr 5, 2015, 4:46:41 PM4/5/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I've read the FAQ, but I'm still somewhat confused/lost with what is happening. I recently had a power outage at my house and had to restart the box. Once the box started, none of the three LEDs flash so I tried the 10 second reset. I saw the amber lights flash twice per second and I held the reset button for 10 seconds. Once I release the reset button, all three LEDs remain off again and I can't seem to connect via telnet.

I'm a novice when it comes to advanced networking so any step by step guidance will be greatful.

João Cardoso

Apr 6, 2015, 11:41:52 AM4/6/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 9:46:41 PM UTC+1, Raymond Tsui wrote:
I've read the FAQ, but I'm still somewhat confused/lost with what is happening. I recently had a power outage at my house and had to restart the box. Once the box started, none of the three LEDs flash so I tried the 10 second reset. I saw the amber lights flash twice per second and I held the reset button for 10 seconds. Once I release the reset button, all three LEDs remain off again and I can't seem to connect via telnet.

Telnet at port 26, i.e using the command

telnet box_IP 26

After the power outage the box IP has probably changed, consult your DHCP server (probably your router) to know the current IP clients or leases.
You don't say if you see the box browsing the network (under MS-Windows), nor your box model and hardware revision.

Raymond Tsui

Apr 14, 2015, 12:34:06 AM4/14/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I don't see the box browsing the network. Model is DNS-323 and is a B1 revision. Before the power outage, I've set the box to use a specific IP. Will it still change after the outage?

João Cardoso

Apr 16, 2015, 11:26:51 AM4/16/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:34:06 AM UTC+1, Raymond Tsui wrote:
I don't see the box browsing the network. Model is DNS-323 and is a B1 revision. Before the power outage, I've set the box to use a specific IP. Will it still change after the outage?

It depends on what "damages" the power outage did. It can start using DHCP or in the worst case a fixed 192.168.1.254/253/252/... address.
If you can't find the box using a network scanner or your router's DHCP server client/leases, and your network is not 192.168.1.xx, then you have to resort to the "long press (>20sec) reset and the box will use DHCP to get an IP. In this case you will have to fully reconfigure the box afterwards (there will be no disk data loss), possibly from a set of settings that you have stored in another computer.

Search the forum or read the wiki, this has been addressed several times.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM, João Cardoso wrote:

[...]

Raymond Tsui

Apr 19, 2015, 12:17:23 AM4/19/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:26:51 AM UTC-7, João Cardoso wrote:

[...]

Ok. So I managed to get the box connected through an IP and in the error log, I'm getting this message.

Unable to automatically fix md0, mounting Read Only: fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
/dev/md0: recovering journal
Error reading block 121687396 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read).

/dev/md0: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    (i.e., without -a or -p options)