Request: Chrometizer.

E J

Apr 11, 2017, 12:00:18 PM4/11/17
to Alt-F
Hello João, and everybody

Eagerly awaiting the next release, and hopefully just on time a request, if it is possible to implement this request below.

Having a chromecast now, and finding out that my avi movies are not accepted I was looking for an alternative. Found fuppes, but fuppes didnot install in the last official version of Alt-F. (just found that out last weekend). Read that in the new release it is possible, and for sure I will try it. But maybe chrometizer ( https://github.com/mobileblobs/chrometizer  ) is a better alternative. At least it is maintained and been worked on recently. What do you think?

Thanks again for all your work. Cannot be said enough times.

João Cardoso

Apr 13, 2017, 3:18:00 PM4/13/17
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 17:00:18 UTC+1, E J wrote:
Hello João, and everybody

Eagerly awaiting the next release, and hopefully just on time a request, if it is possible to implement this request below.

Having a chromecast now, and finding out that my avi movies are not accepted I was looking for an alternative. Found fuppes, but fuppes didnot install in the last official version of Alt-F.

I was tot aware of that... no bug report/ticket?

(just found that out last weekend). Read that in the new release it is possible, and for sure I will try it. But maybe chrometizer ( https://github.com/mobileblobs/chrometizer  ) is a better alternative. At least it is maintained and been worked on recently. What do you think?

Unfortunately it depends on the Go language, which I have (not yet?) compiled for Alt-F.
But its README says that if was inspired on a script that uses 'ffmpeg', and that is supported and used by Alt-F, so it's a possibility.

However, I'm afraid that transcoding (changing container and/or codec in real time) requires more cpu horsepower than our boxes have.
The last time I tried using ffmpeg directly for recoding  I remember that it gave only a few fps, unusable.
So I think that your best option for you will be to recode your videos using a PC...

Thanks again for all your work. Cannot be said enough times.

Thanks

E J

Apr 15, 2017, 12:09:34 PM4/15/17
to Alt-F

El jueves, 13 de abril de 2017, 21:18:00 (UTC+2), João Cardoso escribió:

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 17:00:18 UTC+1, E J wrote:
Hello João, and everybody

Eagerly awaiting the next release, and hopefully just on time a request, if it is possible to implement this request below.

Having a chromecast now, and finding out that my avi movies are not accepted I was looking for an alternative. Found fuppes, but fuppes didnot install in the last official version of Alt-F.

I was tot aware of that... no bug report/ticket?

No, because I just found out, and wait for for the next release.

(just found that out last weekend). Read that in the new release it is possible, and for sure I will try it. But maybe chrometizer ( https://github.com/mobileblobs/chrometizer  ) is a better alternative. At least it is maintained and been worked on recently. What do you think?

Unfortunately it depends on the Go language, which I have (not yet?) compiled for Alt-F.
But its README says that if was inspired on a script that uses 'ffmpeg', and that is supported and used by Alt-F, so it's a possibility.

However, I'm afraid that transcoding (changing container and/or codec in real time) requires more cpu horsepower than our boxes have.
The last time I tried using ffmpeg directly for recoding  I remember that it gave only a few fps, unusable.
So I think that your best option for you will be to recode your videos using a PC...

I was thinking of the lack of power, but as fuppes states it can transcode, and it is included in the Alt-F repo, i thought why not give it a simpel try.
So maybe just continue watching the .avis on the tablet or laptop.. (less hassle) ;)