An experimental RC3 is now available

Joao Cardoso

Nov 19, 2012, 9:51:16 AM11/19/12
You can find here an  EXPERIMENTAL RC3 that represents the current state
of Alt-F development.

It was not tested as for a release, so some problems might arise, but it
should be stable enought. It is intended to be tested, specifically with
3TB disks, and problems and sucess reported back.

There are still some known issues that I want to fix before the real RC3 release.

To use it, you should go to System->Firmware, Upload it to the box and
use the TryIt button. You should NOT use the FlashIt button. I repeat:

*                                                      *
* YOU SHOULD NOT FLASH IT NOR USE IT TO FLASH FIRMWARE *
*                                                      *

or you might brick your box, as there are some unfinished changes in the
way how Alt-F will be flashed and boot. Even this experimental release
had to be twisted to run under RC2. You have been warned.

Enjoy and please report back

Joao

medoc

Nov 18, 2012, 3:27:45 PM11/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Loaded it.

What's new? What should be tested other than normal usage?:)

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:18:00 PM UTC+1, Joao Cardoso wrote:
You can find here an  EXPERIMENTAL RC3 that represents the current state
of Alt-F development.

Joao Cardoso

Nov 19, 2012, 9:28:21 AM11/19/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:27:45 PM UTC, medoc wrote:
Loaded it.

What's new?

No news is good news :-)

This is not RC3, it is a snapshot of the current development, aimed for 3TB disk users.

OK, my fault, I called it RC3. I will rename it.

Szabo Tomi

Nov 19, 2012, 10:00:02 AM11/19/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
In this case I skip it:) no 3TB drive over here...

Joao Cardoso

Nov 22, 2012, 9:42:43 AM11/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, November 19, 2012 3:00:09 PM UTC, medoc wrote:
In this case I skip it:) no 3TB drive over here...
This is not RC3, it is a snapshot of the current development, aimed for 3TB disk users.

It is aimed to 3TB disk users, but it contains all bug fixes and improvements since RC2, so it might be interesting to try.

Gaiko

Nov 23, 2012, 1:10:19 PM11/23/12

Hi Joao,

Just tried RC3, went straight to the disk wizzard, and got:

Stopping all services and disks... done.

GPT partitioning disk sda... done.

GPT partitioning disk sdb... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sda... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sdb... done.

Creating raid1 md0... done.

Creating ext4 filesystem on md0. It will take roughly 31 minute(s): 11

Then after about 10 min it shows:
Creating ext4 filesystem on md0. It will take roughly 31 minute(s): 479

Then like 10 min later it was finished, so, someone might be a bit shocked by the esimate but it was actually closer to the 31 est than the 1000 (it got up to 1000 min remaining).

I also tried adding user, no problems. Let me know if there are some specifics you want me to try out.

Cheers

Joao Cardoso

Nov 23, 2012, 1:54:14 PM11/23/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, November 23, 2012 5:49:27 PM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

Hi Joao,

Just tried RC3, went straight to the disk wizzard, its still going but I thought I'd show the output as at the rate its going it won't be done until tomorrow:

Stopping all services and disks... done.

GPT partitioning disk sda... done.

GPT partitioning disk sdb... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sda... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sdb... done.

Creating raid1 md0... done.

Creating ext4 filesystem on md0. It will take roughly 31 minute(s): 11

Now after about 10 min it shows:

Creating ext4 filesystem on md0. It will take roughly 31 minute(s): 479

Thanks! Your action made me believe in the mankind again :-)

If you can, please keep an eye on the counter, even a gross estimation of the overall time will be useful.
After it finish, see if the odd message "fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them" appears in the Disk Partitioner; you don't need to partition the disks again, just look how the page displays.

I ask other "mankind believers" that have new 3TB disks to start with and use the Disk Partitioner first, as it is pretty fast to accomplish, and report any issues or odd messages appearing.

Thanks,
Joao

Anyway, I can wait, so long as there are no errors :)  (and none so far).

Gaiko

Nov 24, 2012, 12:21:52 AM11/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, November 23, 2012 10:54:15 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Friday, November 23, 2012 5:49:27 PM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

Hi Joao,

Just tried RC3, went straight to the disk wizzard, its still going but I thought I'd show the output as at the rate its going it won't be done until tomorrow:

Stopping all services and disks... done.

GPT partitioning disk sda... done.

GPT partitioning disk sdb... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sda... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sdb... done.

Creating raid1 md0... done.

Creating ext4 filesystem on md0. It will take roughly 31 minute(s): 11

Now after about 10 min it shows:
Creating ext4 filesystem on md0. It will take roughly 31 minute(s): 479

Thanks! Your action made me believe in the mankind again :-)

If you can, please keep an eye on the counter, even a gross estimation of the overall time will be useful.

Alright, will try it again and keep an eye on it.

After it finish, see if the odd message "fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them" appears in the Disk Partitioner; you don't need to partition the disks again, just look how the page displays.

actually i tried the partitioner and got:
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
HTTP/1.0 200 OK

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
</head><body style="height: 100%; font-family: arial,verdana">
<center><h2></h2></center>
<center><h2>Disk Partitioner</h2></center>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.cursor = 'wait';
</script>
 failed</p>.<p>Trying to stop all services and disks...
 done.</p>
 done</p><p>Setting up partitions details...
 done</p><p>Reloading all disks...
 done</p>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.cursor = '';
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function err() {
window.location.assign(document.referrer)
}
setTimeout("err()", 3000);
</script>

So far this is the only time i have seen the "fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them" message

Joao Cardoso

Nov 24, 2012, 8:52:55 AM11/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:21:52 AM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

[...]

You don't need to do it again, thanks, its only a minor issue that don't affect results. And I will probably change that anyway.

So, If you have not yet done it, don't.

After it finish, see if the odd message "fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them" appears in the Disk Partitioner; you don't need to partition the disks again, just look how the page displays.

actually i tried the partitioner and got:
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

Damn! That is a problem that I though was solved.
I will take a look on this, and I will made a new experimental release soon. I will ask you to test it when it's ready (you will not need to run the Disk Wizard again)

You can start using your disks with the flashed RC2, it will work fine with the now ready 3TB disks.
You only needed the experimental RC3 to partition the disks, so, just reboot the box when the RAID sync finishes (after verifying that you can put/get some data on it)

Thanks for your cooperation,
Joao

Gaiko

Nov 24, 2012, 11:05:01 AM11/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
alright, will get one it once its out (and I have time, more time on weekends).

You can start using your disks with the flashed RC2, it will work fine with the now ready 3TB disks.
You only needed the experimental RC3 to partition the disks, so, just reboot the box when the RAID sync finishes (after verifying that you can put/get some data on it)
So it wouldn't be a problem to put my data on my box or that should wait until after trying out RC3?

Thanks for your cooperation,
Thank you for your developing Alt-F (without which i wouldn't be able to use my 3tb drives with my dns323 box)

Joao

Joao Cardoso

Nov 24, 2012, 12:08:24 PM11/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
You can start using your disks with the flashed RC2, it will work fine with the now ready 3TB disks.
You only needed the experimental RC3 to partition the disks, so, just reboot the box when the RAID sync finishes (after verifying that you can put/get some data on it)
So it wouldn't be a problem to put my data on my box

You can put your data on your disks.
I would start transferring a small amount of data and reboot, just to see if no unexpected problems arise. Filling the 3TB of data is going to take awhile, better do a small test first.

or that should wait until after trying out RC3?

You don't need to wait for the real RC3 to be released nor continue using the experimental RC3.
You can use the flashed RC2, you only have to reboot.
Remember to not flash nothing (don't use the Firmware Update page) while using the experimental RC3!

The experimental RC3 was only needed to partition the disks, as soon as that is done you can leave the experimental RC3 (just reboot) and continue using RC2.
Of course you can't use the Disk Partitioner nor the Disk Wizard with RC2.

If you want to use again the experimental RC3, just download it and use the TryIt button in the Firmware Upgrade page while you are using RC2.

Any doubt?

Thanks,
Joao

Gaiko

Nov 24, 2012, 11:50:48 PM11/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:08:24 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
You can start using your disks with the flashed RC2, it will work fine with the now ready 3TB disks.
You only needed the experimental RC3 to partition the disks, so, just reboot the box when the RAID sync finishes (after verifying that you can put/get some data on it)
So it wouldn't be a problem to put my data on my box

You can put your data on your disks.
I would start transferring a small amount of data and reboot, just to see if no unexpected problems arise. Filling the 3TB of data is going to take awhile, better do a small test first.
Fortunately i don't have 3tb of data yet slated for this box (more like 1.7tb).

or that should wait until after trying out RC3?

You don't need to wait for the real RC3 to be released nor continue using the experimental RC3.
You can use the flashed RC2, you only have to reboot.
Remember to not flash nothing (don't use the Firmware Update page) while using the experimental RC3!

The experimental RC3 was only needed to partition the disks, as soon as that is done you can leave the experimental RC3 (just reboot) and continue using RC2.
Of course you can't use the Disk Partitioner nor the Disk Wizard with RC2.

If you want to use again the experimental RC3, just download it and use the TryIt button in the Firmware Upgrade page while you are using RC2.

Any doubt?

Alright, i have started copying data over (I have a 12tb box where I am keeping copies just to be safe). Will let you know if i have any issues on reboot.

Cheers

-Gaiko

Thanks,
Joao

Yuyi Xie

Dec 1, 2012, 9:22:02 PM12/1/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,

I have been waiting for the official RC3 release.  When will the flash-able RC3 be available?

Thanks,
Yuyi

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:18:00 AM UTC-8, Joao Cardoso wrote:
You can find here an  EXPERIMENTAL RC3 that represents the current state
of Alt-F development.

Scott Vincent

Dec 1, 2012, 11:02:05 PM12/1/12
Alrighty, so I downloaded and TRIED IT, and I was able to setup my RAID1 config without issue.

My WD RED 3TB disks formatted in under 20 minutes, much faster than the indicated 31 minutes.

Everything is working sweet and the only thing out of sorts is that in RAID Creation and Maintenance, it is indicating that the RAID is 're syncing'.

I will be rebooting and testing data transfer shortly, but want to let the resync process progress if is meant to progress......

Well.... cant write anything to the box yet, both lights are flashing on the NAS, so I expect that the resync process needs to finish before i can copy data to the NAS..... I will be patient....

Updates coming...

Joao Cardoso

Dec 1, 2012, 11:16:27 PM12/1/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 2, 2012 3:54 AM, "Scott Vincent" <scotty....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alrighty, so I downloaded and TRIED IT, and I was able to setup my RAID1 config without issue.
>
> My WD RED 3TB disks formatted in under 20 minutes, much faster than the indicated 31 minutes.

Thanks for reporting back.
You used the Disk Wizard, right?

> Everything is working sweet and the only thing out of sorts is that in RAID Creation and Maintenance, it is indicating that the RAID is 're syncing'.

In the Status page you have an estimate of the remaining time. Several hours.

You can start using the box, even while resyncinc. Of course it will be slower than usual.

If you stop the resync, and reboot to RC2, it should restart automaticaly at the point where it was stopped. Not sure if this will happens.

> I will be rebooting and testing data transfer shortly, but want to let the resync process progress if is meant to progress......
>

> Updates coming...

> --

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt-f/-/ICPuPPnCyfgJ.

Scott Vincent

Dec 2, 2012, 12:54:32 AM12/2/12

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:16:27 PM UTC-5, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Dec 2, 2012 3:54 AM, "Scott Vincent" <scotty....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alrighty, so I downloaded and TRIED IT, and I was able to setup my RAID1 config without issue.
>
> My WD RED 3TB disks formatted in under 20 minutes, much faster than the indicated 31 minutes.

Thanks for reporting back.
You used the Disk Wizard, right?

Yes I used the Disk Wizard...

> Everything is working sweet and the only thing out of sorts is that in RAID Creation and Maintenance, it is indicating that the RAID is 're syncing'.

In the Status page you have an estimate of the remaining time. Several hours.

You can start using the box, even while resyncinc. Of course it will be slower than usual.

If you stop the resync, and reboot to RC2, it should restart automaticaly at the point where it was stopped. Not sure if this will happens.

Status page shows 14.6 minutes left.

Do you desire me to try and reboot to RC2 to see if it restarts resync?

Shows 105% complete, -3.8 minutes left. (Still in RC3 BTW).
Shows 164% complete, -80.5 min ETA..... Waiting patiently :)!

Love the work you have done to keep my DNS-323's viable assets for my family money!!!

Scott Vincent

Dec 2, 2012, 9:50:20 PM12/2/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Final results are in.....

I performed all of the needed actions with RC3, as painful as it is to read above, and rebooted about 15 hours later when I got back to my computer. After rebooting, I was able to create 'Folders', DIRECTORY's in RC2, and setup the users and permissions successfully.

I am testing data write/read and will post results when I have them.

So far, i am excited to see what I have seen and hope more is on the way.

Thanks again for your time invested in this project!

Scott

Scott Vincent

Dec 2, 2012, 10:08:44 PM12/2/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Setup the folders in the NAS admin as stated in my previous post. However, no matter what I do, the files will not show when I navigate to the device via Windows Explorer (W7 ultimate).

FYI, under the RC3 'Tryit', I was able to see the actual folders when I created them under the Folders setting.

Any ideas?

Scott

Joao Cardoso

Dec 3, 2012, 10:07:43 AM12/3/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 3, 2012 3:08:44 AM UTC, Scott Vincent wrote:

Setup the folders in the NAS admin as stated in my previous post. However, no matter what I do, the files will not show when I navigate to the device via Windows Explorer (W7 ultimate).

FYI, under the RC3 'Tryit', I was able to see the actual folders when I created them under the Folders setting.

Creating folders using Setup->Folders (in RC3, Directories in RC2) is not enough, you have to create shares (for the folders) using
Services->Network->smb->Configure.
Or you can just create folders when creating shares using the Browse button in Services->Network->smb->Configure

Any ideas?

Have you started the samba service? Services->Network->smb?
And set it to "Boot Enabled" and Submit?
How have you created the shares? Have you performed the "first login tour?"
Do you see the Public shares in MS-Win?

Scott

Joao Cardoso

Dec 3, 2012, 10:38:39 AM12/3/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 2:22:02 AM UTC, Yuyi Xie wrote:
Hi Joao,

I have been waiting for the official RC3 release.  When will the flash-able RC3 be available?

I don't know. Have you actually tried the RC3 snapshot?

If you have your box turned on most of the time, you can TryIt the RC3 snapshot and use it normally.
You can then help me (and yourself, this is how it works) by reporting-back any issues you found.

Joao

Scott Vincent

Dec 4, 2012, 1:40:18 PM12/4/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 3, 2012 10:07:43 AM UTC-5, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Monday, December 3, 2012 3:08:44 AM UTC, Scott Vincent wrote:

Setup the folders in the NAS admin as stated in my previous post. However, no matter what I do, the files will not show when I navigate to the device via Windows Explorer (W7 ultimate).

FYI, under the RC3 'Tryit', I was able to see the actual folders when I created them under the Folders setting.

Creating folders using Setup->Folders (in RC3, Directories in RC2) is not enough, you have to create shares (for the folders) using
Services->Network->smb->Configure.
Or you can just create folders when creating shares using the Browse button in Services->Network->smb->Configure

Any ideas?

Have you started the samba service? Services->Network->smb?
And set it to "Boot Enabled" and Submit?

SAMBA is/was started and set to Boot Enabled.

How have you created the shares?

Shares created under SAMBA and show on the NAS, but not in Windows7. Upon reboot of NAS, all SAMBA shares are no longer present. I saved settings after entry and prior to reboot too.

Have you performed the "first login tour?"

If you are speaking of the initial setup run-through when you access the NAS for the first time, yes, that is done.

Do you see the Public shares in MS-Win?

There are no shares showing in W7 under RC2

Scott

Joao Cardoso

Dec 4, 2012, 3:05:57 PM12/4/12
[...]

Now, this not anymore related to this "experimental RC3" topic, better to open a new topic.

Until you do that:

Lets clarify terminology, folders versus shares. Shares are folders (or directories) exported by some means to other hosts. If you are on the nas, you see folders, if you are on Win you see the share (of the folder).

In MS-Win you actually see the the nas host, right? But when you try to explore it you see nothing, the nas host appears empty, without shares, right?
Have you refreshing the explorer window? Do you have more than one MS-Win computer? Is the behaviour identical in them all?

If you see the host in MS-Win, then samba is running. If you see no shares in the host, than samba is not offering the shares.
The Public Read Only, Public Read Write and users home folders are setup automatically when the first user is created, and they have the right permissions.

I can only advise you to use the Browse button for each Folder/Directory, hit OK in the Folders/Directory Browser window, and then Submit.

Wait a couple of minutes, then refresh the MS-Windows explorer window.

If you continue not seeing any share, or/either the nas host, then attach the samba log files: System->Utilities->View Logs, 'smbd' and 'nmbd'

Scott Vincent

cibernauta

Dec 24, 2012, 9:23:34 AM12/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
João,

Any expected final release date for RC3?
What new features apart from 3TB can we expect?

Thank you.

Jan Pisa

Dec 29, 2012, 4:05:50 AM12/29/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Joao,
      please integrate some FWautopatch function so we can easily add our/yours patched files to some folder for example on USB stick and they will automatically copy to filesystem after boot (now I'm using "User script") . I also (because I really need) patched crontab so I can input Day/Hour/Minute. Cannot attach them :-/ because of "Error 340".

Thank You for your great work!

Best regards
jimmy

Mr.H

Dec 31, 2012, 1:36:41 AM12/31/12

Hey Joao,

I'm at a point where i can just send you my unit for testing, if it will help out :). I don't have any info on it and won't need it for another couple months... Its a dns321 with a ready made serial cable. Also it's loaded with 3tb disks, so you can test all your new innovations! :)

Just let me know where you are and it will be on its way to you.. I got the shipping ;)

Thanks for all your help!

Matt

Joao Cardoso

Jan 1, 2013, 1:51:55 PM1/1/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:05:50 AM UTC, Jan Pisa wrote:
Joao,
      please integrate some FWautopatch function so we can easily add our/yours patched files to some folder for example on USB stick and they will automatically copy to filesystem after boot (now I'm using "User script") .

I have already think on this subject also, but didn't found a clean way of doing it. Do you have any suggestion?

Some thoughts for myself...

-provide a webUI where the user can write/paste a script, then execute it
-upload (where to? not everybody install packages) a published script file, then execute it.

The problem is where to store the information that the fix is already applied.

I want to do this in a maintainable way:
-For one, shipping releases with fix scripts that are automatically applied (once) when the user flashes (or loads) the new firmware.
-Be able to run published scripts to fix well known issues, without the need to make a new release.
-Be able to run casual posted scripts.

Every script could have a name, and only the name needed to be saved (when applied).
Provide scripts as a package (but the package manager offers to apply only the last version, not all/everyone available)

I also (because I really need) patched crontab so I can input Day/Hour/Minute. Cannot attach them :-/ because of "Error 340".

Are you using chrome? Amazing how the Google browser has problems with Google Groups!
Please try again.

Joao Cardoso

Jan 1, 2013, 1:57:05 PM1/1/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 31, 2012 6:21:51 AM UTC, Mr.H wrote:

Hey Joao,

I'm at a point where i can just send you my unit for testing, if it will help out :). I don't have any info on it and won't need it for another couple months... Its a dns321 with a ready made serial cable. Also it's loaded with 3tb disks, so you can test all your new innovations! :)

Thanks Matt!
But you are doing a great job compiling and testing all my code changes.

Just let me know where you are and it will be on its way to you.. I got the shipping ;)

But that is going to be risky and costly, I live on Portugal/Europe...

João

Jan Pisa

Jan 23, 2013, 2:52:33 AM1/23/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Using Firefox

you can find patched files for cron here:

http://www.uloz.to/xP2YM82/cron-fix-zip

best regards

Jimmy

Joao Cardoso

Jan 23, 2013, 10:27:32 AM1/23/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:52:33 AM UTC, Jan Pisa wrote:
Using Firefox

you can find patched files for cron here:

http://www.uloz.to/xP2YM82/cron-fix-zip

Thanks.

I took another approach, using the At field accepts "hour", "hour:minute" or ":minute" format

Joao

Boutch

Jan 26, 2013, 7:30:26 AM1/26/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have two WD RED 3TB disks. I flashed RC2 and used Try It for RC3 (snapshot)
Everything seems to work fine except that I always got 2.7 TB, is there something
I can do to get the full 3 TB?

Thank's

Joao Cardoso

Jan 26, 2013, 11:14:35 AM1/26/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:30:26 PM UTC, Boutch wrote:
Hi, I have two WD RED 3TB disks. I flashed RC2 and used Try It for RC3 (snapshot)
Everything seems to work fine except that I always got 2.7 TB, is there something
I can do to get the full 3 TB?

Disk manufacturers use powers of 10, thus 3TB = 3000000000 bytes.
You must be seeing the 2.7TB in the Disk Maintenance or Status page, where units are TiB, 1073741824 bytes (using powers of 2, 2^30); thus, 2.7TiB = 2899102924 bytes. Thus, only 100897075 byte (~100GB) are missing.

At filesystem creation time, 5% of the filesystem size is reserved for special purposes. That is not really needed for Alt-F, you can reclaim them by using the 'tune2fs' command, search for it in the forum.
That will be fixed in the next release, but existing filesystems users has to reclaim the space -- ah, you used the RC3 snapshot, so that space is already reclaimed, the missing 100GB must be due to the filesystem overhead.

The missing space issue was already covered in some other topic, and if I remember correctly I even made several filesystem overhead comparison.

Boutch

Jan 26, 2013, 7:13:11 PM1/26/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much

Yaka2manD

Mar 11, 2013, 2:23:13 PM3/11/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,

Thank you for this release. I've tried it and it solved my 3TB RAID setup problem.
Disks are currently resyncing and there might be a bug since it went to 100% and now it's continuing. It's currently displaying this :

md0      2794.0 GB        raid1       active        OK        resync
116%
     -20.4min

I guess it's a minor bug maybe due to a wrong initial size calculation or maybe since I did some simple copying tests during resync there's extra work for resync. However the few files I copied were lighter than 1MB.

Just wanted to let you know and thank you for this Alt-F which gave a second life to my DNS-323. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Best regards,
Yaka

Joao Cardoso

Mar 11, 2013, 3:34:53 PM3/11/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, March 11, 2013 6:23:13 PM UTC, Yaka2manD wrote:
Hi Joao,

Thank you for this release. I've tried it and it solved my 3TB RAID setup problem.

Thanks for reporting. Have you used the Disk Wizard?

Disks are currently resyncing and there might be a bug since it went to 100% and now it's continuing. It's currently displaying this :

md0      2794.0 GB        raid1       active        OK        resync
116%
     -20.4min

I guess it's a minor bug maybe due to a wrong initial size calculation or maybe since I did some simple copying tests during resync there's extra work for resync. However the few files I copied were lighter than 1MB.

The statistics shown are the ones being used by the linux kernel RAID driver, not by Alt-F itself.

Yaka2manD

Mar 11, 2013, 5:45:22 PM3/11/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I've used the wizard as I did with RC2, but this time everything went ok (it was stuck at the raid creation before).

Yaka2manD

Mar 13, 2013, 7:26:04 AM3/13/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,

I'm facing a small problem. Maybe you can help.
As you know, I used RC3 to set my DNS-323, in TryIt mode. I did that at work, where the network is 192.168.1.x. FYI I chose to keep the NAS in DHCP.
As I was in a hurry, I unplugged the NAS to bring it back at home, where network is 192.168.0.x.
I couldn't get access to it at home, which is weird, since it's in DHCP. So I thought it kept it's old IP settings so I brought it back today at work.
But now I can't access it at work eather. I guess maybe it's because I set it in TryIt mode and because after the reboot it switched back to RC2.

Anyway, it should have kept it's original IP (192.168.1.42) or ask for a knew one since it's still in DHCP.

The blue power led of the NAS is now on, not blinking and the led for network communication is blinking, which means there's is some communication with the router. HD leds are off, but that's normal.

I tried this free software to scan my network : "SoftPerfect Network Scanner". Soft helps a lot for scanning, but it can't find my NAS.

I tried the reset button while NAS on, then unplug, then reset while its off, but same thing : can't find the NAS.

Any idea how to get access to my NAS ?

Best regards,
Yaka
PS I'm working on Windows 7 and know how to work with putty

Yaka2manD

Mar 13, 2013, 10:49:27 AM3/13/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I solved the pb. Pressing the reset button 5 seconds wasn't enough. I retried by pressing it more than 20 seconds as you suggested in another discussion and it worked.
I could then access it with original IP (192.168.1.42).
BTW, isn't 20 seconds a bit too long ? 5 seconds should be sufficient.

And for the note, with reboot, I effectivelly switched back to RC2.

Joao Cardoso

Mar 13, 2013, 11:59:22 AM3/13/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:49:27 PM UTC, Yaka2manD wrote:
Hi again,

I solved the pb. Pressing the reset button 5 seconds wasn't enough. I retried by pressing it more than 20 seconds as you suggested in another discussion and it worked.

It would be interesting to know what has happened. Have you saved settings while in RC3? Received an error if/when doing it? Cleared settings?

I could then access it with original IP (192.168.1.42).
BTW, isn't 20 seconds a bit too long ? 5 seconds should be sufficient.

Don't think so, after all you spent several hours trying to fix it, 15 more seconds is not that much... :-)

The back button has three functionalities, so they must be clearly set apart. From the AboutButtonsAndLeds wiki:

4. Finally, if you press the box back button for one or two seconds, both leds will start flashing, and the script that you specified in the "Back button cmd" will be executed. (configure it using Services->System->sysctrl->Configure)

Recovery Actions

The back button also has two recovery actions if the "Enable Recovery" checkbox in Services->System->sysctrl->Configure is checked:

4.1 If you keep the back button pressed for more than ten seconds, you can telnet the box at port 26, as root and without password. This is a safeguard in case you forget the password.

4.2 As a last safeguard, if you press the back button for more that twenty seconds, all the settings saved in flash will be erased, and the box will do a controlled reboot. This is a last resort safeguard, in case you mess the box configuration so much that you can't do anything with it; after the reboot the box will behave as if no settings has ever been saved, and you have to struggle to find its IP (if you have a DHCP server enabled in your network, the box will use it).

For 0.1B6 onwards the amber leds flash twice a second, so its easy to count seconds :)

And for the note, with reboot, I effectivelly switched back to RC2.

As it should. You have correctly following the instructions, not flashing the RC3 snapshoot.

Good it is working now.

Steve Aultz

Mar 13, 2013, 11:11:39 PM3/13/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,
Tonight, I went from the last Dlink firmware to ALT-F RC2 and am now "trying" latest snapshot for RC3 in an effort to press 2 - 3TB Seagate st3000dm001 drives into raid 1 service in my DNS-323
It looks like its going to work using this RC3 snapshot!
Currently its "creating ext4 filesystem on md0" which is a lot farther than I was able to get before.
So I have ~2 TB of data that I'd like to put on these drives. If I was to lose it all it wouldn't be the end of the world, just kind of pain in the butt.
I can continue "trying it" pretty much indefinitely I suppose, but some of your previous posts mentioned that we shouldn't save any settings while running this way.
I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.
I'll poke around a bit and report back any weirdness I come accross.
Thank you very much for your efforts developing this!
~Steve

Joao Cardoso

Mar 14, 2013, 1:45:53 PM3/14/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:11:39 AM UTC, Steve Aultz wrote:
Hi Joao,
Tonight, I went from the last Dlink firmware to ALT-F RC2 and am now "trying" latest snapshot for RC3 in an effort to press 2 - 3TB Seagate st3000dm001 drives into raid 1 service in my DNS-323
It looks like its going to work using this RC3 snapshot!
Currently its "creating ext4 filesystem on md0" which is a lot farther than I was able to get before.
So I have ~2 TB of data that I'd like to put on these drives. If I was to lose it all it wouldn't be the end of the world, just kind of pain in the butt.
I can continue "trying it" pretty much indefinitely I suppose, but some of your previous posts mentioned that we shouldn't save any settings while running this way.

The RC3 snapshot  main intent is to allow the initial setup of 3TB disks.
After that being done, RC2 will work fine with the setup left, as formatting the disks is its only issue.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.

As you can't flash the snapshot, the box will always reboot into RC2, and it is possible that some configuration files used by RC3, if saved in flash, will not be recognized by RC2, causing problems.

This has already happened before, between 0.1B5 and 0.1B6 if I remember correctly, and has caused some issues that I want to avoid.

Other that you, the end users, I don't have a QA (quality assurance) department backing me, so I can't guarantee anything ;-)