How to restore the original DLink 320L firmware (Alt-F-0.1RC5, initrd.)

Jordan Petrov

Feb 8, 2017, 4:55:58 AM2/8/17
to Alt-F
Dear Friends,

i would like to restore the original firmware from my NAS, but unfortunately is not possible. I wait around 30 min but the displayed massage -

Firmware Updater

Don't poweroff or reboot the box until instructed to do it!

If you suspect that something went wrong,
you can try to upgrade again after stopping all running processes.

is not changing. The web interface is down. The only chance to access again the device is to make restart via SSH session or power off

Please help
Thank You

João Cardoso

Feb 10, 2017, 3:00:23 PM2/10/17
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 09:55:58 UTC, Jordan Petrov wrote:
Dear Friends,

i would like to restore the original firmware from my NAS, but unfortunately is not possible. I wait around 30 min but the displayed massage -

Firmware Updater

Don't poweroff or reboot the box until instructed to do it!

If you suspect that something went wrong,
you can try to upgrade again after stopping all running processes.

is not changing. The web interface is down.

Was you using https? please try using http instead.

The only chance to access again the device is to make restart via SSH session or power off

And after the reboot is the webUI usable? If not, you can ssh or telnet he box and use the 'rchttp enable; rchttp start' commands to reenable it.

Please help
Thank You

Jordan Petrov

Feb 10, 2017, 4:06:18 PM2/10/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
I am accessing via http and after the reboot everything is working normal, the web interface too

Message has been deleted

João Cardoso

Feb 11, 2017, 12:56:31 PM2/11/17
to Alt-F

On Friday, 10 February 2017 21:06:18 UTC, Jordan Petrov wrote:
I am accessing via http and after the reboot everything is working normal, the web interface too

You didn't said what browser were you using, IE is know to cause some issues.

As part of the release tests, the D-Link firmware is flashed using the Alt-F webUI, and then Alt-F is flashed using the D-Link webUI, to "guarantee" to the users a return path; my (donated) DNS-320L-rev-A1 passed both tests using Chrome and http, so I'm afraid that I have no further clues for you (but please keep reporting)

Jordan Petrov

Feb 11, 2017, 5:36:02 PM2/11/17
to Alt-F
Dear Cardoso,

i am using Chrome, but i tried with IE too. Could you please tell me the version of the original firmware with which you reflash the 320L, maybe will work with this one.

I make a test with ""server mode" instead of the default "inetd mode"" and to stop the services manual, but the result is the some :(
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to alt-f+un...@googlegroups.com.

João Cardoso

Feb 12, 2017, 12:35:09 PM2/12/17
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 11 February 2017 22:36:02 UTC, Jordan Petrov wrote:
Dear Cardoso,

i am using Chrome, but i tried with IE too. Could you please tell me the version of the original firmware with which you reflash the 320L, maybe will work with this one.

I make a test with ""server mode" instead of the default "inetd mode"" and to stop the services manual, but the result is the some :(

Use Chrome or Firefox and http. Put http and https under "inetd control", *NOT* "server mode", and "save settings".
As a further tentative measure, Deactivate and/or Remove all Alt-F packages, Packages->Alt-F, then reboot and perform the fw upgrade. You can even boot without any disk inserted.

The firmware you uploaded to the box is OK, as it has been verified and its status displayed as OK (isn't that right?) before the actual flashing starts. So, it does not depends on the firmware file version.

Some people has downgraded without issues Alt-F from RC5 to RC4.1 because of the "RC5 network corruption" issue (although the published top-posted fix solves that). That issue affects not only file transfers from the NAS to a PC but also how the webUI pages are displayed.

Jordan Petrov

Feb 13, 2017, 2:25:25 AM2/13/17
to Alt-F
unfortunately was not working for me. I tried to downgrade to 0.1RC4.1, but not work for me too

João Cardoso

Feb 13, 2017, 10:25:20 AM2/13/17
to Alt-F

On Monday, 13 February 2017 07:25:25 UTC, Jordan Petrov wrote:
unfortunately was not working for me.

Have you booted and tried flashing without any disk plugged or attached?
That would eliminate anything that would be changed and saved on disk. Please try that first!

What you board revision is? A1? A2? A3? Look at the box bottom label, "H/W Ver:"

What does the Firmware upgrade page says about the system you are running?
For example, mine development box says:

The box is currently running Alt-F 0.1RC6 with kernel 4.4.45, and flashed with "Alt-F-0.1RC5, initrd" and kernel "Alt-F-0.1RC5, kernel 3.18.28".

I tried to downgrade to 0.1RC4.1, but not work for me too

Well, if nothing else worked for you you have to resort to flashing from the command line.

At https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt-f/8i2JoItwuFs/sqfrGwtlUswJ you can find a detailed step by step description on that. It applies to the DNS-320/320L/325/327

At step "B-download and split Alt-F fw into its components:"  use the D-Link fw that you have downloaded and unzipped into the /tmp directory (instead of using the 'wget' command). I have used it with several  1.03Bxx/1.04Bxx D-Link versions.

Be sure that you understand what is being done on each step, execute the steps as described, don't miss anyone, and always do a capture of all the commands you type and its outputs, so you can latter show us exactly what happened if any problem arises. Most programs that you use use to telnet or ssh the box have a "session record" option, that saves everything typed and printed on a file -- try that first to be sure that your session is logged.

Luck