Announce new Alt-F packages feed

Joao Cardoso

Nov 7, 2012, 10:19:14 AM11/7/12
Alt-F packages are now available from a new site, sourceforge.net

-If you already have Alt-F packages installed, then in the "Alt-F Package Manager" web page, section "Configure Feeds", the current package feeds should be replaced with

and

and the "ChangeFeed" button hit. Afterwards, settings should be saved.
If any problem arises you can revert to the default feeds by hitting the "DefaultFeed" button.

-If you have not yet installed any Alt-F package, you can't use the above method, please read this followup which gives instructions on how to proceed.

After the RC3 release this will be the only and default feed, so I ask users to start using it now and report any problem.

I wish to thank Dropbox for "hosting" Alt-F packages, but Dropbox is not intended to be a content-distributable site.
Sourceforge.net provides download statistics, which will help me focus on the more popular packages.

By the way, if you liked Dropbox and you install it in your computer using this  link I will earn 500MB of storage on my free Dropbox account.

Thanks,

vishnumrao

Aug 12, 2012, 2:20:44 PM8/12/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
So is the project moving to sourceforge?

On Friday, August 10, 2012 4:35:04 AM UTC-7, Joao Cardoso wrote:
Alt-F packages are now available from a new site, sourceforge.net

In the "Alt-F Package Manager" web page, section "Configure Feeds", the current package feeds should be replaced with

and

and the "ChangeFeed" button hit. Afterwards, settings should be saved.
If any problem arises you can revert to the default feeds by hitting the "DefaultFeed" button.

After the RC3 release this will be the only and default feed, so I ask users to start using it now and report any problem.

I wish to thank Dropbox for "hosting" Alt-F packages, but Dropbox is not intended to be a content-distributable site.
Sourceforge.net provides download statistics, which will help me focus on the more popular packages.

By the way, if you like Dropbox and you install it in your computer using this  link I will earn 500MB of storage on my free Dropbox account.

Thanks,

Joao Cardoso

Aug 15, 2012, 11:04:15 AM8/15/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:20:44 PM UTC+1, Vishnu Rao wrote:
So is the project moving to sourceforge?

No, only the packages download site (and sourceforge will also be a secondary SVN repository)
I considered moving to sourceforge, as they provide a more integrated environment, but moving this forum/ml is problematic.
Message has been deleted

JoKo

Aug 26, 2012, 12:20:26 PM8/26/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have trouble updating the feeds.

I have replaced the feeds and pressed the "ChangeFeed" button. After a while, I receive the following message:

Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages
Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages
An error ocurred, return value: 2.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-gCscXZ http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages'
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-gCscXZ http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages'

Maybe the URLs are not valid or the site is still not ready? I am afraid that the Dropbox repository is also not working any longer.

Regards,

JoKo

Norbert J. Girardi

Aug 26, 2012, 3:16:20 PM8/26/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Am 26.08.2012 18:20, schrieb JoKo:
> wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-gCscXZ
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages

It is working again. This was most probably a temporary laps.

-NoGi

Stealth

Sep 18, 2012, 2:54:09 PM9/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Same problem todayipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Il4fl3 http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages'
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Il4fl3 http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages'

Joao Cardoso

Sep 18, 2012, 5:09:08 PM9/18/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:54:11 PM UTC+1, Stealth wrote:
Same problem today

Sourceforge is going to be the main (and only) Alt-F package feed in a short while.
It's free, as in beer, so you get what you pay for :-o

For how long does the problem lasts? minutes? hours? Have you tried to use a mirror near you?

Stealth

Sep 19, 2012, 3:45:13 AM9/19/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I tried two or three times in 1 hour without success, So I thought there is something broken

Yes it's not a problem for me, I can't wait, I will try tonight I'm not at home now

Stealth

Sep 22, 2012, 1:56:45 PM9/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Le mercredi 19 septembre 2012 09:45:13 UTC+2, Stealth a écrit :
I tried two or three times in 1 hour without success, So I thought there is something broken

Yes it's not a problem for me, I can't wait, I will try tonight I'm not at home now

Sorry, I forgot, it's good now

Joao Cardoso

Sep 25, 2012, 11:48:49 AM9/25/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Sourceforge has several mirrors available worldwide, see http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Mirrors

The url I published in the first post should resolve to the nearest mirror available.

If however you wish to use by default a specific mirror, you can specify it directly, just use/replace the "short name" that you see in the mirror list above when filling-in the Feed in the "Alt-F Package Manager" web page:

Eg, if you wish to use "freefr" (Paris, France), specify http://freefr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable as the Feed and hit the ChangeFeed button.
if you want ot use "switch" (Zurich, Switzerland), then use http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable

This technique has the disadvantage that the mirror you chose might be offline, or even not mirroring sourceforge anymore. I used to use "kent", that is not available anymore.
Thanks

Joao Cardoso

Oct 24, 2012, 11:56:52 AM10/24/12
The default package feed is now deactivated.
Please use the new package feed following the instructions on this topic first post.

Thanks to Dropbox for hosting Alt-F flawlessly for so long.

João

Erregend

Oct 24, 2012, 1:07:39 PM10/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
How do I get the new feeds into a system without ANY Alt-F packages installed?

Erregend

Oct 24, 2012, 1:26:35 PM10/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Figured it out.... edit /etc/ipkg.conf one time

Joao Cardoso

Oct 27, 2012, 12:19:35 AM10/27/12

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:07:40 PM UTC-4, Erregend wrote:
How do I get the new feeds into a system without ANY Alt-F packages installed

Good observation, I miss that small "detail" :-(

New Alt-F users, or users that don't have any Alt-F package installed, should download the attached ipkg-update.sh file  to the box, ssh or telnet it as the user 'root' using the same password as for the web gui, and execute the ipkg-update.sh on the command line using:

sh /path/to/ipkg-update.sh

or, alternatively, edit /etc/ipkg.conf with a unix-compatible editor and replace its contents with:

src Alt-F-stable http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable
src
Alt-F-unstable http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable
dest
/Alt-F /Alt-F

As a matter of fact, all users should do this, even those that already have used the "ChangeFeed" button in the Alt-F Package Manager, because if they latter hit the "DefaultFeed" button the old feed will resurrect.

Thanks!

On Friday, August 10, 2012 7:35:04 AM UTC-4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
[...]

ipkg-update.sh

Rob MacDonald

Rob MacDonald

Nov 6, 2012, 7:23:19 AM11/6/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:18:45 AM UTC-4, Rob MacDonald wrote:
I'm a new user.  I don't have a change feed button.  I don't have any packages installed because the installer still points to dropbox.  I can't edit /etc/ipkg.conf because once I telnet into the NASbox, basically no commands work, I can view directories or move within them, doesn't matter where I place the script it's not found, I don't even have a file structure to find or edit /etc/ipkg.conf .  What the heck am I supposed to be doing?

ETA:

While i couldn't get the script working, using VI  /etc/ipkg.conf has found the conf file, hopefully anyone dumb enough to get stuck here like I did finds help with this.

Joao Cardoso

Nov 6, 2012, 4:53:51 PM11/6/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:18:45 PM UTC, Rob MacDonald wrote:
I'm a new user.  I don't have a change feed button.  I don't have any packages installed because the installer still points to dropbox.  I can't edit /etc/ipkg.conf because once I telnet into the NASbox, basically no commands work,

example?

I can view directories or move within them, doesn't matter where I place the script

how did you transfer it? ftp? ssh? cifs/smb?

it's not found,

You don't know where you put it.

I don't even have a file structure

ena!

to find or edit /etc/ipkg.conf .  What the heck am I supposed to be doing?

Show the commands that fail, verbatim, i.e., copy/paste the type commands and its output.

Assumptions, as you say NOTHING:

Most likely you are using windows, using samba/smb/cifs.
Assuming that you used the default public share "Public (Read Write)" to transfer the file to the box, where is it in the box?
You could go to Services->Network->smb, and see the path that the share is referring to, in my case, it is /mnt/md0/Public/RW:

and there it is:

~ # ls /mnt/md0/Public/RW/ipkg-update.sh
/mnt/md0/Public/RW/ipkg-update.sh
~ # sh /mnt/md0/Public/RW/ipkg-update.sh
~ # cat /etc/ipkg.conf

works as described!

strawwmann

Nov 7, 2012, 10:52:59 PM11/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks that's exactly what I needed.
Packages now install properly (and miniDLNA installed and configured easily after that).
Message has been deleted

Michael Lardner

Dec 31, 2018, 2:06:45 AM12/31/18
to Alt-F
I just installed Alt-F 1.0 with kernel 4.4.86 on my DNS321 A2 and cannot update packages to install minidlna, please help.  Thank you.

João Cardoso

Jan 2, 2019, 1:26:32 PM1/2/19
to Alt-F

On Monday, 31 December 2018 07:06:45 UTC, Michael Lardner wrote:
I just installed Alt-F 1.0 with kernel 4.4.86 on my DNS321 A2 and cannot update packages to install minidlna, please help.  Thank you.

You have to give more details. What is your setup? what did you do? What messages did you received?

This is a very old thread, on 1.0 the default packages feed are already correct, they are

Occasionally there are transient network failures, such as DNS or other, the packages site homing status or mirrors change (sourceforge.net)... try again in a few minutes or hours latter

Chris Wilkinson

May 14, 2023, 4:35:31 PM5/14/23
to Alt-F
I realise this is an old thread but I am getting a similar problem on a new installation on a dns-325 (v1.0).

There is no text editor on my system so cannot edit ipkg.conf.

On the Alt-f packages page I see a submit button, a grayed out updatepackagelist and the page says no alt-f package installation found. Attempting install reports no packages found.

The ipkg-update.sh script has a different content to the alternative edit to the ipkg.conf file.

As I have no text editor, I copied the ipkg-update.sh script to the nas, made it executable and executed it. This had no effect on the Alt-f packages page. Similarly, I created an ipkg.conf file with the suggested content and copied it to /etc. Again no change.

Is there something else necessary to make the ipkg.conf file be recognized?

Chris Wilkinson

May 14, 2023, 4:54:08 PM5/14/23
to al...@googlegroups.com
Just an update with the error message from install.

Installing Alt-F in /mnt/md1 Installing ipkg Trying sourceforge.net... fail, no Packages file. Trying sourceforge.net... fail, no Packages file. You don't seem to have enabled feeds, a name server configured, or a working internet connection, and no /tmp/ipkg_*_arm.ipk file found. Exiting

Chris Wilkinson

May 14, 2023, 5:48:31 PM5/14/23
to al...@googlegroups.com
I found that my cert was invalid because I had renamed my box from dns-325-xxxx to dns-325. Apparently the cert is only valid for the old name.

Ipkg installs but now I get another error when updating

Downloading https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/stable/Packages
Downloading https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable/Packages
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 5: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-UQ063j https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/stable/Packages'
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 5: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-UQ063j https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable/Packages'