Dynamic DNS with freedns.afraid.org isn't updating when configured through web UI, fine through cron

boxbox

Dec 8, 2014, 3:53:52 PM12/8/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Using the freedns.afraid.org option of Dynamic DNS, I set the properties in the web UI such that /etc/inadyn.conf becomes

dyndns_system default@freedns.afraid.org
alias my-domain.mooo.com,FJDFJjfkdlsujFJDKSLmy-secret-code
username
password
syslog
verbose
0
update_period_sec
60

I ensure the ddns network service is started, but it doesn't actually update the record. I tried several months ago and noticed the same thing that it wasn't working, so I had to use a custom cron entry to call the freedns.afraid.org dynamic DNS update URL manually, and that worked. But it would be simpler if it worked through setup in this web UI. I know my domain and secret code are correct, because when run through direct URL they work fine to update the DNS entry. The config here says it should be updating every 60 seconds, but that doesn't happen.

João Cardoso

Dec 10, 2014, 11:03:49 AM12/10/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 8, 2014 8:53:52 PM UTC, boxbox wrote:
Using the freedns.afraid.org option of Dynamic DNS, I set the properties in the web UI such that /etc/inadyn.conf becomes

dyndns_system default@freedns.afraid.org
alias my-domain.mooo.com,FJDFJjfkdlsujFJDKSLmy-secret-code
username
password
syslog
verbose
0
update_period_sec
60

I ensure the ddns network service is started, but it doesn't actually update the record.

I can't reproduce that.
After reactivating my dormant freedns.afraid.org account and setting verbose to 5, I got in syslog:

Dec 10 15:46:11 dns-320l user.notice INADYN[2779]: Wed Dec 10 15:46:11 2014: N:DYNDNS: My IP address: 5.249.80.194

and on another host:

silver:~ # nslookup zonzo.homenet.org
Server:         192.168.1.254
Address:        192.168.1.254#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Address: 5.249.80.194

I tried several months ago and noticed the same thing that it wasn't working,

You are probably not using the right hash value. Mine is

alias zonzo,cUw-removed-zNw==

so I had to use a custom cron entry to call the freedns.afraid.org dynamic DNS update URL manually, and that worked. But it would be simpler if it worked through setup in this web UI. I know my domain and secret code are correct, because when run through direct URL they work fine to update the DNS entry. The config here says it should be updating every 60 seconds, but that doesn't happen.

You can try to increase the verbose value:

[root@dns-320l]# inadyn-mt --help
'--debug': <#> - debug level 0..7; higher number, more log debug messages.
'--verbose': <#> - set dbg level. 0 to 5

 No logs, no ...

boxbox

Dec 11, 2014, 2:26:10 PM12/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, the verbose setting helped. It was actually updating all along, I was expecting log entries to appear but didn't realize that the verbose setting wouldn't put anything in the log (might be good to change the default verbosity). Combined with high TTL DNS values by freedns.org I thought things weren't working when they in fact were.

João Cardoso

Dec 11, 2014, 3:38:45 PM12/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:26:10 PM UTC, boxbox wrote:
Thanks, the verbose setting helped. It was actually updating all along, I was expecting log entries to appear but didn't realize that the verbose setting wouldn't put anything in the log (might be good to change the default verbosity).

With an update time of 60 seconds the log would soon be filled and no other events would be logged, which would make diagnosing impossible, that's the reason

IGA566

Aug 6, 2015, 3:39:19 AM8/6/15
to Alt-F
i got the same issue - Dynamic DNS with freedns.afraid.org isn't updating when configured through web UI

syslog:
Aug  6 12:16:49 nas user.warn INADYN[707]: Thu Aug  6 12:16:49 2015: W:'RC_ERROR' (0x1) updating the IPs. (it 0)
Aug  6 12:17:25 nas user.warn INADYN[714]: Thu Aug  6 12:17:25 2015: W:TCP: killed connect thread in tcp_initialize_async...

wget update works