How to change default Dropbear port from 22?

Cem Basu

Feb 4, 2015, 9:33:14 PM2/4/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I have tried desperately to change the default port of Dropbear from the default of 22 to something else with no luck.  I have updated the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to specify Port followed by the desired port - no good.  I have also tried modifying /etc/inetd.conf line with dropbear adding -p <port_number>, still no good.  I went as far as updating /etc/services and modifying the line for ssh to the desired port, still no luck.

I must be missing something basic here, I really need to avoid the default port of 22 or 2222 - any other suggestions?

Thanks

João Cardoso

Feb 5, 2015, 11:08:16 AM2/5/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 2:33:14 AM UTC, Cem Basu wrote:
Hello, I have tried desperately to change the default port of Dropbear from the default of 22 to something else with no luck.  I have updated the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to specify Port followed by the desired port - no good.  I have also tried modifying /etc/inetd.conf line with dropbear adding -p <port_number>, still no good.  I went as far as updating /etc/services and modifying the line for ssh to the desired port, still no luck.

This is not a matter or luck.You must know what you are doing, which you don't, when you edit configuration files.

Dropbear doesn't has a configuration file, everything comes from the command line; sshd (from openssh) uses sshd_config; both are by default launched under inetd control, thus is inetd that is listening on the ports indirectly specified in the first column of its conf file; when you change inetd configuration file you must tell it about that (you can use 'rcinetd reload', or explicitly send the appropriate signal).

This is not and Alt-F idiosyncrasy, it's the normal linux behaviour.

I must be missing something basic here,

signaling inetd that its conf file has changed?

F. Blackburn

Feb 5, 2015, 11:37:01 AM2/5/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
You can also start dropbear (with option -p [address:]port) outside of inetd, in user script. It's probably more secure if you want access to your box via ssh over internet.

Cem Basu

Feb 11, 2015, 9:23:29 AM2/11/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, I ended up running my own version with nohup and appropriate parameters through the user script facility on ALT-F.  So not only do I have the standard config on port 22 (not reachable from my router) but also listening on a non-standard port which I forward from my router in order to access from the internet.