No Sleep on my DNS-323 RC5

Chris Hunter

Feb 2, 2017, 2:58:08 PM2/2/17
to Alt-F
I'm pretty sure unless I'm bonkers.

I thought the DNS-323 running Firmware 1.10 would put the system to sleep as well as suspend disk activity when the system hasn't been accessed for a pre set of time.

I thought it was something like Drives to Suspend drives at 30 minutes and the entire system shortly after that.

Is there a feature like this in in ALT-F running RC5? Or did I miss it. I checked under Services > System > sysctrl
It even says fan/temperature/buttons/sleep/MD Daemon  However I don't see a Sleep setting anywhere in there.

João Cardoso

Feb 3, 2017, 10:43:46 AM2/3/17
to Alt-F

On Thursday, 2 February 2017 19:58:08 UTC, Chris Hunter wrote:
I'm pretty sure unless I'm bonkers.

I thought the DNS-323 running Firmware 1.10 would put the system to sleep as well as suspend disk activity when the system hasn't been accessed for a pre set of time.

I thought it was something like Drives to Suspend drives at 30 minutes and the entire system shortly after that.

Is there a feature like this in in ALT-F running RC5? Or did I miss it

Disk->utilities, Spindown.

By default they should be put at sleep after 20 minutes of *system* inactivity. But that does not means *user* activity. If the box is running some services that require disk access, or if other PCs in the network are periodically inquiring some services running on the nas, then disks might never reach the programmed spindown timeout.

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Feb 3, 2017, 11:32:50 AM2/3/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
This is what happens with me.

I have 2 HDs with 2TB each. I address all torrent files on first one (where Alt-F is installed), and the second one I use to store all personal files, documents and stuff.

This way, my second HD will keep turned off most part of the time, saving energy and avoid it to degrade over the time.

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android