Unable to backup my Nas !

Testeur 1970

Jul 22, 2016, 4:13:47 AM7/22/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am using the last Alt-F firmware for few days, and want first to thanks all the developer and tester of this awesome firmware. Thanks to Joao.
After few days discovering all the functions of this firmware on my DNS 320 LW, I tried yesterday, to schedule an automatic backup of the content of a Folder. I went in Services/System and first started the backup service, and then start to configure it.The files stored in /mnt/sda2/Images should be saved in the folder /mnt/sdb2/backup.  See attachment backup.png. Few time later, I noticed that no file have been saved on /mnt/sdb2/backup. The backup service has only created the Folder /mnt/sdb2/backup but it is empty... I have tried it several time without success. So What is wrong ? I searched all the forum for an answer but can't find any solution.

(Edit 1) : This evening I tried to start directly the backup from the backup configuration page by clicking the "reboot now" button. I noticed that this btton become gray. I went in the status page and saw that the CPU was at 100%. On the bottom of this status page I saw a task in progress see below.

Backup

Id          Type             Folder                         State
0          rsync       /mnt/sda2/Images         In progress

But after 7 hour processing, the CPU was always at 100%, this task was always in
progress but on /mnt/sdb2/ only the backup folder was created without
any file inside ! During all this time no file was written and the CPU worked at 100% !!!

During my search on the forum and the wiki, I found another post dealing about a backup and a snapshot of the Nas : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt-f/snapshot/alt-f/DMFzoi0OnZs/qbQOg1L7w-4J
I have also tested this method by adapting the the settings of this script to match my personal preference and add a cron job. But nothing again. I stored this script on /mnt/sda2/backup.sh (chmod 777), but no automated backup was made !!! I also decided to try manually, and when I try to access this file, via telnet, it returns me "-sh: backup.sh: not found"... see attachment "putty". I don't understand !

Can someone help me !
Thanks
backup.PNG
putty.PNG

João Cardoso

Sep 22, 2016, 3:08:03 PM9/22/16
to Alt-F

On Friday, 22 July 2016 09:13:47 UTC+1, Testeur 1970 wrote:
Hello all,

I am using the last Alt-F firmware for few days, and want first to thanks all the developer and tester of this awesome firmware. Thanks to Joao.
After few days discovering all the functions of this firmware on my DNS 320 LW, I tried yesterday, to schedule an automatic backup of the content of a Folder. I went in Services/System and first started the backup service, and then start to configure it.The files stored in /mnt/sda2/Images should be saved in the folder /mnt/sdb2/backup.  See attachment backup.png. Few time later, I noticed that no file have been saved on /mnt/sdb2/backup. The backup service has only created the Folder /mnt/sdb2/backup but it is empty... I have tried it several time without success. So What is wrong ? I searched all the forum for an answer but can't find any solution.

[Two months latter -- yes, I know, I had a too long vacations :-)]

When doing backups from one disk to another within the box using the Backup webUI, you should use the "dir" type -- "dir" comes from "directory", aka Folder -- bad name, I know.
As pressing the the online help (?) icon says:

This service makes unattended backups of various types, all following the same pattern:
The last made backup is compared with the folder to backup and the rsync program creates a new backup folder based on the differences; optionaly older backup folders will be deleted. The folder to backup can be a local folder or a remote folder locally mounted using any of the Backup types depicted bellow.

Dir - this mode of operation only backups local folders. For example, you can use it to backup folders from one disk to the other. The Run As entry should be user "root", so the backup files original date, permissions and owners are preserved.

The rsync type has its own complications and is a last resort for experimented users; rsync is used internally by *all* backup types.

[...]

Only seeing the backup.sh file could anyone tell something. Attaching the file, not pasting it inline, as copy/paste can hide some details!

Testeur 1970

Sep 28, 2016, 1:32:08 AM9/28/16
to Alt-F
Thank you for your help ! Even 2 months later it helped me to understand that the solution was under my nose (online help (?) ) and I havn't understand it !
All is ok now