Not seeing my shares suddenly (Alt-F 0.1RC4)

JMcC

Apr 23, 2018, 3:08:24 AM4/23/18
to Alt-F
I'm running a DNS-323-B1 with Alt-F 0.1RC4 for well over a year with no problems with a 6Tb and 4Tb drive installed (ext4, gpt partitioning).
Suddenly over the weekend I can't see the shares on the network. I can connect to the box via the web interface & all looks normal to me. The samba & nfs services are running. I can browse the folders via the web interface & even copy files to an attached USB drive so I guess the drives are OK. I just can't see the shares from my windows 10 PC or laptop any more. The box shows up in the network section of file explorer, but when I click on it, I can't connect.

Any pointers to help me solve this puzzling issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ScDc

Apr 23, 2018, 4:35:50 AM4/23/18
to Alt-F
Sounds like NAS is up and running and accessible, Alt-F Samba Services configured given File Explore in Windows show your DNS.

In Windows in command prompt type command

   net use

does it list your DNS323?

Try reconnect it resetting all shares

   net use * /delete

or specific share

   net use <DNS323> /delete

and later connecting it through File Explorer with proper Username and Password.

If still error, what does the message say?

JMcC

Apr 23, 2018, 6:28:48 AM4/23/18
to Alt-F
The net use command tells me that the drives I had mapped to the box are unavailable. I have a Diskstation on line that shows its mapped drives OK (and works fine).

I did the net use */delete thing. All mapped drives were deleted. I was easily able to reinstate the Diskstation drives, but trying to do the same with the DNS323 box as below gives;

C:\Users\User>net use z: \\192.168.1.200\Disc2
System error 121 has occurred.

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Thanks,

ScDc

Apr 23, 2018, 10:52:54 AM4/23/18
to Alt-F
ok, couple more sanity checks - pointers - so to speak.

1. make sure that Alt-F Samba config has SMB1, SMB2, or both (better both as Windows 10 doesn't have SMB1 enabled by default, if I recall correclty) checked and click submit, reboot DNS, try to access from Windows box (reboot it if you haven't already done that since the problem occurred).

This is to make sure that Alt-F Samba service runs and nothing stalled.

2. from what I've googled "121" and "semaphore timeout" are indication of Windows box not talking to DNS, most likely on DNS side as DiskStation talks. Could be hardware issue - pull and switch cable leading to DNS, use different port on Router (from DiskStation may be). See if this helps.

3. Alt-F 0.1RC4 is an outdated release, current - Alt-F 1.0. Just for your information. Not sure if this would be a good moment to consider an upgrade... as the problem hasn't been localized yet, I have DNS-323-B1 with ALT-F 1.0 running on it, everything works flawlessly for now.

JMcC

Apr 23, 2018, 11:14:37 AM4/23/18
to Alt-F
Yes, I've already done reboots and currently running the DNS box on a different network cable. I don't see a way to make sure that Alt-F Samba config has SMB1, SMB2, or both (looking in Services->Network->smb->Configure on the DNS box). SMB is ticked for boot enabled

I'm going to setup an entirely new network later with a different router, one PC & the DNS box (just in case its a network problem - unlikely).

I'm reluctant yet to add another variable to the mix by upgrading yet, though I will for sure when this is solved.

Thanks,

JMcC

Apr 23, 2018, 1:33:06 PM4/23/18
to Alt-F
Well I sorted it out. It turns out that rebooting the network switch (not the router) fixed it. No idea why this could be particularly since the webpage on the box was OK & all other services were operational. Anyhow its all good now. Many thanks for your efforts to help. Now maybe I'll upgrade to version 1.0.

Thanks again,

ScDc

Apr 23, 2018, 2:19:33 PM4/23/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear that! I am not an expert in networking protocols and transports, but I can image that HTTP vs. SMB might have different tolerance for say dropped packets, which could lead to getting HTTP web page but not SMB handshake.

Cheers!