MPD and sound

notoneofmyseeds

Jun 18, 2015, 4:36:40 PM6/18/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Just installed and configured MPD today, and using Ario and Sonata, I
get no sound at all.

The post in the group concerning this issue was way back when and went
into great details about building kernel modules. And I don't think it's
related here, as I'm not trying to play off the box, rather from it on a
LAN. And so the clients mentioned connect to the box, list the albums on
the MPD server, play, but I get no sound on the laptop. I've checked the
sound device on the laptop and it works.

Many thanks in advance.

João Cardoso

Jun 19, 2015, 9:18:35 AM6/19/15
to al...@googlegroups.com, notoneo...@gmx.de, notoneo...@gmx.de

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 21:36:40 UTC+1, notoneofmyseeds wrote:
Just installed and configured MPD today, and using Ario and Sonata, I
get no sound at all.

Those are controllers for the server, not necessarily players. The concept is similar with upnp/dlna Control Points and Renderers.

The default server configuration streams music by http on port 8000. See /etc/mpd.conf

audio_output {
        type            "httpd"
        name            "My MPD Stream"
        encoder         "wave"          # wave,flac,vorbis,twolame,lame
        port            "8000"

So you have to have a client that plays that stream (I think that VLC does). Search the appropriate forum.

notoneofmyseeds

Jun 19, 2015, 5:18:00 PM6/19/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 06/19/2015 03:18 PM, João Cardoso wrote:

The default server configuration streams music by http on port 8000. See /etc/mpd.conf

audio_output {
        type            "httpd"
        name            "My MPD Stream"
        encoder         "wave"          # wave,flac,vorbis,twolame,lame
        port            "8000"

So you have to have a client that plays that stream (I think that VLC does). Search the appropriate forum.
Thanks a lot for this, Mr. Cardoso.

I have looked at the mpd.conf file. Maybe I don't understand it well. I've have added this option here, paying close attention to the existing examples. But MPD won't start. And so I remove the code you suggested here.

I have commented out everything on the "alsa" section, and also the "software" section.

But unfortunately, still now sound. The good news is that I found, in trying to fix this, a great controller; perhaps the best. It's called GMPC. apt-get install gmpc will bring it to you. It's awesome.

At this point, I willing to give someone a lot if I could be helped to get this sound. I feel so close, MPD is so great. Has anyone here got it working in linux?

Thanks a lot, Mr. Cardoso; your assistance is most valued.

notoneofmyseeds

Jun 20, 2015, 5:33:20 PM6/20/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
On 06/19/2015 03:18 PM, João Cardoso wrote:
Those are controllers for the server, not necessarily players. The concept is similar with upnp/dlna Control Points and Renderers.

The default server configuration streams music by http on port 8000. See /etc/mpd.conf

audio_output {
        type            "httpd"
        name            "My MPD Stream"
        encoder         "wave"          # wave,flac,vorbis,twolame,lame
        port            "8000"

So you have to have a client that plays that stream (I think that VLC does). Search the appropriate forum.
Anyone, if you have mpd installed and working, please, please, please, for the love of rocks; just say so and please say how. I'm pulling my hair here. I've come so close and yet so far. I've worked so hard on this without success. And I just now messed up the config file that it won't start. I will remove it and install it again, to begin fresh. This is OK, as I have to go get ntfs3g anyway. By the way, GMPC is a great controller, if you're on linux. I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier.