Change NAS hardware

Richard Label

Apr 25, 2015, 6:10:42 AM4/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I currently have a dlink DNs 321 with Alt-F RC4 running on two 3 TB hard drives in a raid 1 configuration.  The DNS 321 is about 6 years old.  I am considering the possibility that the DNS 321 will fail and need to be replaced.

At this point the system is working fine, but I wish to be proactive.

If I were to get an updated NAS server, will my raid1 drives be readable by the new hardware?  Will I need to reformat the data?  Do I need to have a backup of my NAS data in case that happen? I so, what is the best way to backup the NAS data so that a change is server is not a problem?

Richard

João Cardoso

Apr 25, 2015, 10:33:01 AM4/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 11:10:42 AM UTC+1, Richard Label wrote:
I currently have a dlink DNs 321 with Alt-F RC4 running on two 3 TB hard drives in a raid 1 configuration.  The DNS 321 is about 6 years old.  I am considering the possibility that the DNS 321 will fail and need to be replaced.

At this point the system is working fine, but I wish to be proactive.

If I were to get an updated NAS server, will my raid1 drives be readable by the new hardware?  Will I need to reformat the data?  Do I need to have a backup of my NAS data in case that happen?

All that depends on the NAS that you will be using. If using Alt-F you don't need to have any special considerations. Of course, having backups is always advisable, even when not doing a box change or upgrade.

 I so, what is the best way to backup the NAS data so that a change is server is not a problem?

If your disks are also six years old, you should consider buying new disks also... and you could use your current box and disks as the secondary backup?

Richard

Richard Label

Apr 25, 2015, 2:22:06 PM4/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Both the hard drives are less about 18 months old.

Richard