Recommended FAN type for DNS-320L

ALT-FUser

Jan 11, 2018, 2:29:25 PM1/11/18
to Alt-F
Hi,
I was using google to buy a silent fan for may Box. Also bought 2 fans from ebay and local hsop in my town. No one works on my box. Do you have any working silent fan with your box?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quiet-D-Link-DNS-320-DNS-323-Fan-Kit-10dBA-Noise-Best-for-Home-Networking-/262021424900?

Regards

Nicolas Desveaux

Jan 11, 2018, 10:05:27 PM1/11/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Is the fan in the link one you bought? I'd love to know too so I can mod it to be more silent

ALT-FUser

Nicolas

Jan 12, 2018, 7:41:53 AM1/12/18
to Alt-F
Hi,

On a French forum a poster said he was pretty satisifed with the Noctua NF-A4X10-FLX 5V.

He writes it just works and is much more silent than the original one. Another poster warns that he had to reverse the + / - cables to make it work.

Here is an Amazon FR link if it can help : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00NEMGCIA/

João Cardoso

Jan 12, 2018, 10:55:20 AM1/12/18
to Alt-F
I made some measurements on my DNS-320L, which has a AVC manufactured DS04010B12U fan, with characteristics:
3 pins, 12V, 0.14A, 25DBA, ball bearing, 5500 RPM, 40x40x10 mm, 28 (17-36) CFM

Measured DC voltages with the fan connected:

Set_Speed Applied_Voltage Fan_speed
Off       ~0              3.7V
Low       7.8V            1.6V
Fast      9.8V            1.6V

So, some 12V fans might not be able to start rotating, even if correctly connected. I have some fans that have the wiring mixed, they will only work if I switch wiring.
Notice the warning on the Noctua fan site: Being a 5V fan, the NF-A4x10 5V can not be run at 12V and will be damaged when used with typical 12V power sources such as PC mainboard fan headers. So it might be adequate to be connected only to the USB connector. They also have a 12V fan.

The fan_speed wire probably just measures if the fan is turning or not (a rotation detector type wire, not a speed indicator (tachometer) type wire). When Set_speed if set to Low and the fan is mechanically forced to be stopped the Applied_voltage rises to 13.5V and the Fan_speed rises to 3.7V (DC voltages, no AC measuring was done).
Notice that the DNS-323-rev-A/B has proportional speed adjustment, so the third wire has to be of the tachometer type).

PS-The measuring voltmeter had a "low battery" indicator, so take the measured values with a grain of salt.

Michal Goralski

Jan 12, 2018, 12:26:35 PM1/12/18
to Alt-F
i just bough NF-A4X10-FLX  and i use if for two days, yes the difference is noticeable, just to mention you (i have 320 not L) will have to change black with red.
i now the most noisy parts are HDD-s :D

Nicolas Desveaux

Jan 12, 2018, 12:37:02 PM1/12/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michal I'll look into buying it. Let us know if it ever burns out because it's working over spec (>5V)

Nicolas Desveaux

Jan 12, 2018, 12:40:43 PM1/12/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hilariously deals for 320 often cost less than this fan :p

Ebay listing:

ALT-FUser

Jan 15, 2018, 1:59:29 PM1/15/18
to Alt-F
Thanks for your replays!
Then i'll buy "Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX 5V 40mm 5 Volt" for my 320L model and change the wire, or i'm wrong?

Regards

W dniu czwartek, 11 stycznia 2018 20:29:25 UTC+1 użytkownik ALT-FUser napisał:
Hi,
I was using google to buy a silent fan for may Box. Also bought 2 fans from ebay and local hsop in my town. No one works on my box. Do you have any working silent fan with your box?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quiet-D-Link-DNS-320-DNS-323-Fan-Kit-10dBA-Noise-Best-for-Home-Networking-/262021424900?

Regards

gla...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2018, 2:36:43 PM10/7/18
to Alt-F
I've done it this way:

Regards

Nicolas Desveaux

Oct 7, 2018, 3:49:01 PM10/7/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing Glavni

João Cardoso

Oct 9, 2018, 2:54:26 PM10/9/18
to Alt-F

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 19:36:43 UTC+1, glavni wrote:

It looks like that script is to be run on the D-Link firmware, not under Alt-F, as it requires  fan_control
To control the fan speed trip points under Alt-F use Services->System->sysctrl, Configure