Auto backup

Dainius Kunigauskas

Apr 19, 2017, 9:13:27 AM4/19/17
to Alt-F
Hello,
I was trying to find answer, but had no luck.
I want to add two disks into device.
/sda will be used for general storage(some data, lot of photos),
/sdb (bigger) should be used for incremental backups. I would like to get backup every week or so.

the question is:
Can alt-F do periodic incremental backups by itself from one disk to another? If yes, what service/tool should be used?

Optional questions:
It will have very rare traffic, is it good idea to use USB key for alt-f file system and temp folder to spare spin ups?
Can alt-F mirror folder structure to another location and put there downsized photos (some work for imagemagic? no speed requirements)? Will raspberry be needed for that?

I have basic/medium linux skills, but it is strictly desktop machines.
I can write some script/program if I know what tool I can use and what is needed to by done.

João Cardoso

Apr 19, 2017, 12:44:17 PM4/19/17
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 14:13:27 UTC+1, Dainius Kunigauskas wrote:
Hello,
I was trying to find answer, but had no luck.
I want to add two disks into device.
/sda will be used for general storage(some data, lot of photos),
/sdb (bigger) should be used for incremental backups. I would like to get backup every week or so.

the question is:
Can alt-F do periodic incremental backups by itself from one disk to another? If yes, what service/tool should be used?

Services->System, backup, Configure. Under "Type" select "Dir". Read the tooltips and the Online Help (blue (?) icon).

Optional questions:
It will have very rare traffic, is it good idea to use USB key for alt-f file system and temp folder to spare spin ups?
Can alt-F mirror folder structure to another location

another host?

and put there downsized photos (some work for imagemagic?

imagemagic is not available for Alt-F.
You can just define a network share and make the thumbnails in another computer using your prefered programs.

Or you can try install "ffmpegthumbnailer" (Packages-> Alt-F) and evaluate it. It is intended to generate video files thumbnails, but it worked for me on a plain jpg file:

ffmpegthumbnailer -i /Public/RO/Fotos/dns320l/IMG_20141018_053648.jpg -o po.jpg

You might try  "ffmpegthumbnailer --help" for help

no speed requirements)? Will raspberry be needed for that?

No, any generic computer, linux, Mac or MS-Wins will do the job.

Dainius Kunigauskas

Apr 20, 2017, 2:43:48 AM4/20/17
to Alt-F

I want to keep all my photos in network drive (big JPG`s and RAW`s).
Then I want to backup it with some history in case original data will be corrupted.

As it is data container, not torrent/surveillance NAS and it is sitting in bedroom I don't want HDD`s to spin if alt-f wants to check some plug-in file in midnight:)

"Thumbnails" will be screen size resized photos (~1920x1200) in the same drive, just different folder. I will use it to search photos, to move it to phone, send over IM`s etc...
It is not nice when you start searching some image in folder with lot of 10mb jpgs. I find out ffmpegthumbnailer is quite simple, but it may work.
-------
Thank you for info, I will try to implement it by your suggestions.