Alt-F-0.1RC4.1 release question

Jose Manuel

Feb 4, 2015, 12:35:38 PM2/4/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,

   I have installed experimental Alt-F-0.1RC4.1.1 in my DNS320L-A2 from this post https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt-f/4.1.1/alt-f/pmrr8goptLE/B0piyBMf-KQJ

   Today i received the notification that version Alt-F-0.1RC4.1 has been released.

   There are any differences between them?.
   Do i need to install new release?

Thx

João Cardoso

Feb 4, 2015, 1:21:37 PM2/4/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 5:35:38 PM UTC, Jose Manuel wrote:
Hi Joao,

   I have installed experimental Alt-F-0.1RC4.1.1 in my DNS320L-A2 from this post https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt-f/4.1.1/alt-f/pmrr8goptLE/B0piyBMf-KQJ

   Today i received the notification that version Alt-F-0.1RC4.1 has been released.

   There are any differences between them?.

Only a few, but it's better to upgrade to avoid future confusion.
The experimental 4.1.1 numbering was a fake, just to differentiate it from the experimental 4.1.
Message has been deleted

João Cardoso

Feb 4, 2015, 2:13:24 PM2/4/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 6:41:58 PM UTC, Jose Manuel wrote:
Ok.

  One more question, can i upgrade to Alt-F-0.1RC4.1 directly without running any shell script?.

It depends on your upgrade path, release RC4 to experimental 4.1 to experimental 4.1.1? or directly from... ?

It's safer to execute the script, its does no harm if it is not needed.
What it does is to remove any patch, fix or customization that might exists on the /Alt-F folder and that would shadow the same files in the new firmware. Settings are preserved.

Thx

Jose Manuel Pastor Carceles

Feb 4, 2015, 2:32:37 PM2/4/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, only one more question.

After the upgrade, could i skip the initial setup wizard and restore previously saved settings on my computer?

Thx

João Cardoso

Feb 5, 2015, 10:47:46 AM2/5/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 7:32:37 PM UTC, Jose Manuel wrote:

Sorry, only one more question.

After the upgrade, could i skip the initial setup wizard and restore previously saved settings on my computer?

yes.
But you shouldn't need to do that, existing Alt-F settings are by default preserved in the flash process.

notoneofmy

Feb 8, 2015, 3:18:02 AM2/8/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On 15-02-04 8:13 PM, João Cardoso wrote:
> It depends on your upgrade path, release RC4 to experimental 4.1 to
> experimental 4.1.1? or directly from... ?
>
> It's safer to execute the script, its does no harm if it is not needed.
> What it does is to remove any patch, fix or customization that might exists
> on the /Alt-F folder and that would shadow the same files in the new
> firmware. Settings are preserved.
I have a question this as well. I flashed Alt-F 0.1RC4.

I suppose my question is how/where do you "execute the script."

I know it's an elementary question, but one that can save me lots of
headache and perhaps more questions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jose Manuel

Feb 8, 2015, 1:46:12 PM2/8/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

First in Alt-F packages install nano editor.

Then using putty connect to the box, using telnet or ssh, go to path you want create the script, /mnt/sda2 f.e.

Open a file with nano editor, copy into nano the lines from the post of 0.1rc4.1, save the file with the name you desire.

Execute the command dos2unix to covert the file to unix format, and finally launch the script.

Regards.

João Cardoso

Feb 9, 2015, 11:52:59 AM2/9/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 6:46:12 PM UTC, Jose Manuel wrote:

First in Alt-F packages install nano editor.

As an alternative, use a *text* editor (like 'notepad', not a word processor like MS Word) in your OS, transfer the file to the box using whatever method you like, and after ssh/telnet/login the box execute the described commands.
You can transfer the file using samba for an already defined share, or ftp... whatever. If you have a share named Music, based on folder /mnt/sda2/Music, and you save the file with name 'fix', you can use that, then the commands to execute will be 'dos2unix /mnt/sda2/Music/fix'...
The 'dos2unix' command is intended to convert MS-Win end of line to unix end of line.

notoneofmy

Feb 12, 2015, 6:04:09 PM2/12/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On 15-02-09 5:52 PM, João Cardoso wrote:
As an alternative, use a *text* editor (like 'notepad', not a word
processor like MS Word) in your OS, transfer the file to the box using
whatever method you like, and after ssh/telnet/login the box execute the
described commands.
You can transfer the file using samba for an already defined share, or
ftp... whatever. If you have a share named Music, based on folder
/mnt/sda2/Music, and you save the file with name 'fix', you can use that,
then the commands to execute will be 'dos2unix /mnt/sda2/Music/fix'...
The 'dos2unix' command is intended to convert MS-Win end of line to unix
end of line.
I have applied this fix by doing this:
 telnet into the box
cd into the folder I wanted to save the "fix"
installed and open nano; installed done earlier
copied and pasted the file into nano, and saved it as "fix"
then did: " dos2uni fix"
and "
sh fix"

I "saved settings" and rebooted.

It did reboot, my hope is this:

that I can login as root now
that minidlna will start, otherwise I may just go back to rc3, as I'm a bit tired trying all the "fixes" from the forum that are not working for me. Based on changes that I've made to it, right now it only runs after I reboot the box. If I go to configure and hit the "submit" button when I'm done, it stops and won't start. I have to reboot the box.

What have I done: removed jpeg and jpeg-libs. And reinstalled flac, as was suggested in the forum. This is hard. But in this pain, I thank you for this project; when stuff works, it makes a world of difference. But when they don't, you feel like just putting the box in the closet. Thanks again!

João Cardoso