Mounting with CIFS

notoneofmy

Jun 27, 2016, 7:46:49 PM6/27/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to mount the SAMBA server on a Debian Jessie machine.

I've done all the steps, such as creating the .smbcredentials file.

However, when I issue mount -a to test my fstab entry, I get:

mount: mount point //192.168.1.4/mnt/right/music

does not exist

I have removed "music" but get some result.

I can access the same server in Thunar.

Many thanks.

notoneofmy

Jul 4, 2016, 3:21:51 AM7/4/16
to al...@googlegroups.com

just bumping this with more information. I know why it's not working. And know also that the help is here:

my dmseg output:
[47869.256290] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -6

my fstab line:
//192.168.1.4/SMML/left/movies /home/sunnsea/STUFF/ cifs username=xxxxxxx password=xxxxxx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

smbclient -N gives no output on Debian Jessie and I don't know why.

But in umbuntu, I get, for example
/SMML/SMML/movies

I have removed the first /SMML and used both; and still get the same error

SAMBA entry to that folder on Alt-F.
path = /mnt/left/movies

I have also tried and still same error:
//192.168.1.4/mnt/SMML/left/movies

mount -v -a in Terminal output:
mount error(6): No such device or address

As regards the IP, that's not an issue, I can browse to the SAMBA shares on Thunar.