btsync on alt-f

Nabil Servais

Apr 25, 2013, 2:43:54 AM4/25/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

First, thanks for the great job on alt-f, I really love to use it on my NAS.

If I post it's to know how I can install btsync from http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html (there's a build for arm linux).

When i try to launch it, I've got this :

./btsync
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/btsync: not found

Anyone have a idea?

Thanks

Joao Cardoso

Apr 25, 2013, 7:24:36 PM4/25/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
According to btsync requirements, it needs glibc,and Alt-F is uClibc based:

http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync/technology.html: Linux with ... (glibc 2.4) or newer on ARM/PPC/i386/x86_64

 # ldd btsync
checking sub-depends for 'not found'
checking sub-depends for 'not found'
checking sub-depends for 'not found'
checking sub-depends for '/lib/libpthread.so.0'
        libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0x4000d000)
        ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x40000000)
checking sub-depends for 'not found'
        librt.so.1 => not found (0x00000000)
        libdl.so.2 => not found (0x00000000)
        libm.so.6 => not found (0x00000000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00000000)
        libc.so.6 => not found (0x00000000)
        /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x00000000)

So there are missing libraries.

If it was open source, we could compile it for our box, as it isn't, no btsync for Alt-F :-(

Thanks

Joel

Nov 24, 2013, 7:24:11 PM11/24/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Well, this is disappointing since btsync was the main reason I installed Alt-F. Shame on me for not checking this forum.

Alt-F is clearly an improvement over D-Link's firmware and I am glad to have it. Thank you very much João Cardoso for all your efforts, it is an incredible accomplishment.

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:24:36 PM UTC-7, João Cardoso wrote:

According to btsync requirements, it needs glibc,and Alt-F is uClibc based:

So there are missing libraries.

If it was open source, we could compile it for our box, as it isn't, no btsync for Alt-F :-(

Can I please ask for more details about why this is a barrier? Does it mean that Alt-F would have to be recompiled as suggested by krysus? Or maybe Alt-F would have to be rewritten from scratch (monumental effort) or that it simply cannot be done (impossible)?

Thanks again.

João Cardoso

Nov 25, 2013, 12:09:03 PM11/25/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, November 25, 2013 12:24:11 AM UTC, Joel wrote:
Well, this is disappointing since btsync was the main reason I installed Alt-F. Shame on me for not checking this forum.

Alt-F is clearly an improvement over D-Link's firmware and I am glad to have it. Thank you very much João Cardoso for all your efforts, it is an incredible accomplishment.

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:24:36 PM UTC-7, João Cardoso wrote:

According to btsync requirements, it needs glibc,and Alt-F is uClibc based:

So there are missing libraries.

If it was open source, we could compile it for our box, as it isn't, no btsync for Alt-F :-(

Can I please ask for more details about why this is a barrier?

btsync, twonki, Alt-F -- who is the culprit?

Clearly not Alt-F -- is has some 180 different software packages, all compiled from source code, and more could be added if I or someone else had the time or inclination.
Some software packages might be difficult to compile for Alt-F, but it can be done as long as they are open source, i.e., its source code is freely available.
"Free" here means "Freedom", not money. Free software means free to use, study, copy, change, or re-distribute. Not all open-source software is free in this broad sense, it depends on its particular license. Some companies make the source code available, but prohibits its modification or re-distribution.

btsync and twonky are closed source, they are delivered in pre-compiled form for specific platforms, chosen by the company, and they will only run on these selected platforms and not on any other. There is nothing that one can do; if lobbying, then lobby btsync or twonky to distribute their products pre-compiled for Alt-F, or better, to make it open-source -- some commercial companies do it!

Does it mean that Alt-F would have to be recompiled as suggested by krysus?

krysus don't know what he is talking about.

Alt-F could be compiled for glibc, but the resulting binaries would not fit the available flash-memory space.
uclibc is an alternative to glibc, developed specifically for embedded devices with small amounts of memory.
The DNS-325 and other boxes uses glibc. The DNS-325 has 128MB of flash memory, the DNS-323 has 8MB!
Making (a greatly stripped down) Samba fits the available flash-memory was a feat! Samba-3.6 just don't fit.

Alt-F uses BuildRoot as its build system, and BuildRoot is free software (Freedom) and supports glibc (also Free), that would not be an issue.

But using glibc is not enough to provide compatibility with pre-compiled binaries -- the compiler tools (the toolchain, also Free) has to be also compatible, and the version and options used when building glibc has to be exactly the same -- Last time I checked the twonky download site they had, for a given version of twonky, some two dozens of binaries, some of them with only small variations.

optware for the DNS-323, e.g., can't run under Alt-F, although it is uclibc based and runs under the vendor's firmware. Only minor changes in the toolchain makes most of its binaries impossible to run under Alt-F. ffp binaries can, as they use a clever library trick.

If anyone wants to use those pre-build binaries, then they can install Debian (also Free) on disk on their boxes. Alt-F even lets you install and run Debian, so you can try it, and if satisfied flash it!
Alt-F even accepts the vendor's firmware, so you can always go back to it.

So all this has to do really is with Freedom.

Or maybe Alt-F would have to be rewritten from scratch (monumental effort) or that it simply cannot be done (impossible)?

Not at all.
Being web based Alt-F is mostly independent on glibc/uclibc or even platform, although some porting effort would be needed.
Alt-F is dependent on linux and busybox only (both being also Free)

There are some web-based alternatives to Alt-F out there, most or all of them has to be installed on disk, not on flash-memory.

Thanks again.

Glad you ask

Joel

Nov 28, 2013, 12:19:45 PM11/28/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the thorough explanation. I will look at the Debian option in more detail, I had initially not considered.

I totally agree with you about software freedom, I am a FOSS supporter. I have no expectation that bittorrent will change their ways so I am looking for alternative solutions.

Thanks again, your work is very much appreciated.

Andrey Suprun

Dec 23, 2014, 2:13:59 PM12/23/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Any changes on this?

Konrád Lőrinczi

Feb 1, 2015, 5:57:16 AM2/1/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Do I understand correctly, that would be possible to Alt-F to be compiled for glibc, if RAM is enough, like 128Mb?
How about DNS-320/325 which have 128Mb RAM?

Thanks,
Konrad

João Cardoso

Feb 3, 2015, 12:23:39 PM2/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 10:57:16 AM UTC, Konrád Lőrinczi wrote:
Do I understand correctly, that would be possible to Alt-F to be compiled for glibc, if RAM is enough, like 128Mb?

Not RAM, flash memory. D-Link firmware for the new boxes, which have 128MB of flash memory, is glibc. But the DNS-321/323 only have 16/8MB.
Can't have both glibc and uclibc for different boxes, as it would be needed to have two sets of packages. Too much work...

Konrád Lőrinczi

Feb 3, 2015, 12:29:31 PM2/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I thought DNS-320/325 could have a glibc release.

I didn't think it would be too much work to maintain both glibc & uclibc version.

Konrád Lőrinczi

Apr 27, 2015, 5:52:37 PM4/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I really miss Bittorrent Sync for DNS-320 A1 with ALT-F firmware.

How is it possible, that for the Original D-Link DNS-320 firmware I could install Bittorrent Sync with ffp,
but not with ALT-F?
Perhaps original fw is using glibc?

Anyway seems, that DNS-320 hardware can run Bittorrent Sync, it can fit into flash.

Bittorrent Sync compatibility was the main reason I bought DNS-320.
Now I'm facing, that after upgrading to ALT-F, I can not use Bittorrent Sync :(((

Really disappointing.

Konrad

João Cardoso

May 1, 2015, 7:57:44 PM5/1/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 10:52:37 PM UTC+1, Konrád Lőrinczi wrote:
I really miss Bittorrent Sync for DNS-320 A1 with ALT-F firmware.

How is it possible, that for the Original D-Link DNS-320 firmware I could install Bittorrent Sync with ffp,
but not with ALT-F?
Perhaps original fw is using glibc?

Anyway seems, that DNS-320 hardware can run Bittorrent Sync, it can fit into flash.

Bittorrent Sync compatibility was the main reason I bought DNS-320.
Now I'm facing, that after upgrading to ALT-F, I can not use Bittorrent Sync :(((

Really disappointing.

Then flash D-Link firmware back

Shannon Saylors

Oct 3, 2013, 9:12:31 AM10/3/13
to al...@googlegroups.com
Why don't we just recompile the project with glibc ourselves?  Anyone done this?  I'd personally say BTSYNC might be my single most wanted item right now.

aar

Apr 18, 2016, 12:56:16 PM4/18/16
to Alt-F, nabil....@gmail.com

any news about install btsync on Alt-f ?
very necessary package.....

Deivid Germano

Apr 24, 2016, 4:56:57 PM4/24/16
to Alt-F, nabil....@gmail.com
Hey guys can use btsync on alt-f in a debian chroot environment.

"debian -chroot btsync --nodaemon --config btsync.conf"

in my DNS320L work very well.

aar

May 6, 2021, 4:47:52 PM5/6/21
to Alt-F
this package (resilio synch) is not added to ALT-F ?
only after installing debian ? no other options?
the package is here - https://download-cdn.resilio.com/stable/linux-arm/resilio-sync_arm.tar.gz

воскресенье, 24 апреля 2016 г. в 23:56:57 UTC+3, deiv...@gmail.com:

João Cardoso

May 9, 2021, 12:39:44 PM5/9/21
to Alt-F
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 9:47:52 PM UTC+1 aar wrote:
this package (resilio synch) is not added to ALT-F ?

No, read my posts above

only after installing debian ? no other options?
the package is here - https://download-cdn.resilio.com/stable/linux-arm/resilio-sync_arm.tar.gz

probably for glibc, not uclibc