Transfer files from 323 - 325

James Pike

Jan 28, 2018, 1:55:03 PM1/28/18
to Alt-F
Hey everyone, I wanted to ask this of you guys.

I need to transfer about 1.5TB of data from my 325, over to my 323. I tried Googling it, and found the best way was to use rsync. But I'm running into problems here.

I use Putty for my terminal access.

First I tried:
 rsync -azP mnt/md0/Transmission/Keep/ ro...@192.168.0.3:mnt/md0/UserFiles/Keep

But that failed, with:
[root@DNS-325]# rsync -azP mnt/md0/Transmission/Keep/ ro...@192.168.0.3:mnt/md0/U
serFiles
/Keep
root@192
.168.0.3's password:
sending incremental file list
rsync: change_dir "/root//mnt/md0/Transmission/Keep" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: change_dir#3 "/root//mnt/md0/UserFiles" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(695) [Receiver=3.1.2]
Next I tried:
rsync -azP Transmission/Keep/ ro...@192.168.0.3:UserFiles/Keep

But again failed:
[root@DNS-325]# rsync -azP Transmission/Keep/ ro...@192.168.0.3:UserFiles/Keep
root@192
.168.0.3's password:
sending incremental file list
rsync: change_dir "/root//Transmission/Keep" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: change_dir#3 "/root//UserFiles" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(695) [Receiver=3.1.2]

I am unclear as how to proceed from here. I see that it's issuing the command from root, and as these folders are not found in the root directory, I'm stuck at how to get it to look at the right directory for the files/folders I need moved. I know it's going to be something simple, I'm missing...

Can someone point me in the right direction, as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks. :-)

Joao Cardoso

Jan 28, 2018, 2:23:55 PM1/28/18
to Alt-F Group

On Jan 28, 2018 6:55 PM, "James Pike" <lords...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone, I wanted to ask this of you guys.

I need to transfer about 1.5TB of data from my 325, over to my 323. I tried Googling it, and found the best way was to use rsync. But I'm running into problems here.

I use Putty for my terminal access.

First I tried:
 rsync -azP mnt/md0/Transmission/Keep/ ro...@192.168.0.3:mnt/md0/UserFiles/Keep

You need an absolute path, as in ...3:/mnt..

But i doubt that rsync is your best option, as it will encrypt the data and wii run at something as 2 or 3MB/s

Assuming file transfer within the same network, use NFS or, yet simpler, ftp (use the wget -r ftp:/... ... command at the receiving end)

[...]

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jan 28, 2018, 2:32:57 PM1/28/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Any way to put one HD on thennew NAS, and copy over the same one?

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android

James Pike

Jan 28, 2018, 6:27:35 PM1/28/18
to Alt-F
No, as I have both NAS units set to JBOD (DNS-323 2x3TB, DNS-325 2x4TB)

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/alt-f.

James Pike

Jan 28, 2018, 6:35:21 PM1/28/18
to Alt-F
I tried the mnt/ but that didn't work. It's always looking for root/... so I'm guessing I need to get the absolute path, from root so maybe  "../mnt/mb0/"?

Would I still be using Putty to issue the wget? I'm not an expert at Linux, and learning as I go (these NAS units have made to start to learn it. LOL)
Would I still need the absolute paths using the wget command as well? And using wget, I'd have to Putty into the 323, and "pull" those files/folders?

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jan 28, 2018, 7:07:11 PM1/28/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Are you using 2 HDs on each one?

Still I prefer to do something directly on NAS.... Like, removing one HD, adding another, until all files are on new one.

How about removing one HD from new NAS, just to have room for the old HD to be copied? And once finished, add thenother one?

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to alt-f+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

James Pike

Jan 28, 2018, 7:29:56 PM1/28/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
They're both fully used. My DNS-323 has 2 3TB hard drives set as JBOD (1 large disc), with around 3TB Free, and my DNS-325 has 2 4TB hard drives set as JBOD as well, with roughly 1TB free. So by removing one hard drive, it would break the JBOD structure, and nullify what I'm trying to accomplish. :-(

I'm not transferring to a new NAS, as I've have both for quite some time now...I just need to move some data from one to the other.

Hooligan99

Jan 28, 2018, 9:28:37 PM1/28/18
to Alt-F
I run a rsync every night to keep two 323's in sync... This is the script I use, albeit for only one volume... Might work for you with the appropriate changes...

# Check if running
LOCKFILE=/tmp/lock.txt
if [ -e ${LOCKFILE} ] && kill -0 `cat ${LOCKFILE}`; then
    echo "already running" >> /mnt/Shared/Users/wquin/Backups/Media.log
    echo "already running"
    exit
fi

# make sure the lockfile is removed when we exit and then claim it
trap "rm -f ${LOCKFILE}; exit" INT TERM EXIT
echo $$ > ${LOCKFILE}

# do stuff
# Start copy

# Make the mount point
mkdir /tmp/media

# Mount the remote system
mount -t cifs -o username=root,password=xxxxxxx,iocharset=utf8 //192.168.25.3/Media /tmp/media

## start the rsync and log the output
rsync -aiz --skip-compress=avi,mp4,mov,mkv,wmv,vob,jpg,mp3 --stats --delete-after /tmp/media/ /mnt/Root/Media/ > /mnt/Shared/Users/wquin/Backups/Media.log

## Add the date to the log
date >> /mnt/Shared/Users/wquin/Backups/Media.log

## Unmount the remote system
umount /tmp/media

## Remove the mount point
rmdir /tmp/media

James Pike

Jan 28, 2018, 10:22:53 PM1/28/18
to Alt-F
Awesome, thanks! I'll give this a try. It's very similar to a script I wrote for my computer to back up nightly to my 323, using batch commands.

Are you doing this as a RCON job, or do you run it manually?

João Cardoso

Jan 30, 2018, 1:08:59 PM1/30/18
to Alt-F

On Monday, 29 January 2018 02:28:37 UTC, Hooligan99 wrote:
I run a rsync every night to keep two 323's in sync... This is the script I use, albeit for only one volume... Might work for you with the appropriate changes...

This is not that different than Alt-F Backup service. Why use CIFS (former SMB) to mount a linux filesystem on a linux box? Why not NFS?
Alt-F backup service, driven by cron, does a plain copy the first time, which is almost 10x faster than rsync, afterwards it uses rsync. And it can even wake up (WOL) hosts that are currently powered off, so it is fully unattended.

rsync was devised for low bandwidth and possibly error prone networks, and cpu capabilities were not a rsync design concern.