From 0.1RC3 to 1.0

Richard Yao

Mar 12, 2018, 10:32:59 PM3/12/18
to Alt-F

I updated my DNS-323 to 0.1RC3 long time ago (I found out by checking back old files on my computer and found this Alt-F-0.1RC3-DNS-323.bin). I also remember I made RAID 0 or 1 on two HGST 4TB hard drives.

Everything works fine until I upgraded all my computers to Win 10, then I can't connect to this network drive anymore.

Now I saw this new version 1.0. Before I upgrade, I'd like to ask your experts here if I will lose any data on the drive when I upgrade? Since the data is rather valuable, I want to make sure I won't do anything stupid.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

João Cardoso

Mar 13, 2018, 2:39:52 PM3/13/18
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 02:32:59 UTC, Richard Yao wrote:

I updated my DNS-323 to 0.1RC3 long time ago (I found out by checking back old files on my computer and found this Alt-F-0.1RC3-DNS-323.bin). I also remember I made RAID 0 or 1 on two HGST 4TB hard drives.

You don't need to remember all that, it is shown in the box Status web page

Everything works fine until I upgraded all my computers to Win 10, then I can't connect to this network drive anymore.

After upgrading to Alt-F-1.0 you have to enable SMB2, use Services->Network, smb, Configure.

Now I saw this new version 1.0. Before I upgrade, I'd like to ask your experts here if I will lose any data on the drive when I upgrade?

No

Since the data is rather valuable,

Then you should have a backup...

I want to make sure I won't do anything stupid.

all operations that might lead to data loss require a confirmation, so read everything before confirming or submitting.
Don't just press "Next", "Next", ... "Next" without reading first :-) (there are no such "Next" "dialogues" in Alt-F)

Richard Yao

Mar 13, 2018, 6:24:01 PM3/13/18
to Alt-F

Thanks! But what if I can't even see it anywhere on the network? I think the path is used to be \\DNS-323 something, but can't reach it anymore. Any ideas?

Is there anyway to read this drive without using the network?

João Cardoso

Mar 14, 2018, 1:03:45 PM3/14/18
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 22:24:01 UTC, Richard Yao wrote:

Thanks! But what if I can't even see it anywhere on the network?

Install a network scanner like Fing and find the name and IPs of all your connected local computers; then use a browser to use Alt-F webUI

I think the path is used to be \\DNS-323 something,

I can't do your homework

but can't reach it anymore. Any ideas?

Is there anyway to read this drive without using the network?

You mean without using the MS-Windows SMB protocol? Yes. Use other protocols, such as ftp, ssh, rsync... as a last resort move the disk(s) to a linux computer.

Gregory Didycz

Mar 14, 2018, 1:42:58 PM3/14/18
to Alt-F
SMB 1.0 is not installed by default in windows 10. RC3 only uses smb 1.0. Update to 1.0 and enable smb 2.0 in samba config page. Please not as others have said: Any Changes lead to data loss. A backup is recommended. However if your drives were clean before the update you "SHOULD" be safe.