Recycle bin is corrupted

Wayno

Jun 25, 2016, 9:30:39 PM6/25/16
to Alt-F
Hi,
I started having a problem where every time I access one of the drives on my DNS-321 (still on RC4.1) I get an error message stating "The Recycle bin on Q:\Music is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"  Health of both drives is showing "Passed".  I have a feeling that it may be a permission issue but I'm not sure about the best way to go about reconciling it.  I only have one user, myself, in the "Users and Group Setup" menu but I noticed that this started happening after I used a new laptop to access the share and I do not believe that I was actually logged in as myself at the time.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  If not, what is the best procedure to ensure that ALL the files and directories on the share actually belong to a single user, me?

Thanks!

João Cardoso

Jun 26, 2016, 9:43:55 AM6/26/16
to Alt-F

On Sunday, 26 June 2016 02:30:39 UTC+1, Wayno wrote:
Hi,
I started having a problem where every time I access one of the drives on my DNS-321 (still on RC4.1) I get an error message stating "The Recycle bin on Q:\Music is corrupted.

The network "Recycle bin" requires the additional samba-modules package to be installed and manual editing of the samba configuration file. Have you done that?
In the Samba site you will find how to setup one.

Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"  Health of both drives is showing "Passed".  I have a feeling that it may be a permission issue but I'm not sure about the best way to go about reconciling it.  I only have one user, myself, in the "Users and Group Setup" menu but I noticed that this started happening after I used a new laptop to access the share and I do not believe that I was actually logged in as myself at the time.

It depends on who is allowed to access shares. In the default setup the Public RW can be used by anybody as a guest, So I guess that the recycle folder must have permissions setup to allow others/anybody to write to it. Search for "samba recycle bin permissions"

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  If not, what is the best procedure to ensure that ALL the files and directories on the share actually belong to a single user, me?

That are samba share permissions and folder permissions. The first are controlled by the samba server, the latter by the operating system. The first can't override the second. So if you are logged as a guest and create a file in the Public RW, it will belong to the 'anybody' user.
Using Setup->Folders and navigating to the desired share, hit the Permissions button and change the user/group to your desire, apply also to files, recursively, etc. Read the terse online help the -- (?) icon. Then restart samba -- Services->Network, smb.

Thanks!

Wayno

Jun 28, 2016, 10:22:00 PM6/28/16
to Alt-F
Thank you for all the detailed info.  I feel pretty confident that this will get me through to the fix.  I did have Samba shares setup and they've been working fine for months, it's only after I accessed the shares with a new PC that I started having issues.