minidlna not working on a DNS-323-rev-A1 with Alt-F-RC3 [Was: Need Help Please]

Patrick Polcari

Apr 17, 2015, 8:40:15 AM4/17/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Total noob here but still wish to learn from others. I've installed ALT-F 0.1RC3 and have been running it for awhile. Then a couple of days ago minidlna stopped working. I read forums and different groups for help, but so many of the terms and directions were over my head. Yep, you guessed it... I started following as much as I could and ended up making things worse. So my question is:

Is there a way to flash 0.1RCC3 fresh and start new without loosing any of the actual data I have on the drives? Please reach out and let me know. Thank you.

João Cardoso

Apr 17, 2015, 10:23:24 AM4/17/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:40:15 PM UTC+1, Patrick Polcari wrote:
Total noob here but still wish to learn from others. I've installed ALT-F 0.1RC3

What box model? It is relevant! As a more descriptive subject line -- some people just ignore messages like yours! Read the forum welcome message -- its' just at the top!

RC4.1 is more recent and has some bugs fixed and some improvements (and also some new bugs)

and have been running it for awhile. Then a couple of days ago minidlna stopped working. I read forums and different groups for help, but so many of the terms and directions were over my head. Yep, you guessed it... I started following as much as I could and ended up making things worse. So my question is:

Is there a way to flash 0.1RCC3 fresh and start new without loosing any of the actual data I have on the drives? Please reach out and let me know. Thank you.

Reflashing wouldn't help, because the files who cause the issues are stored on disk, and the disk in not touched (by default) during a reflash.
So you should start describing what your box model and HW revision is, what you problem is (configuration, "corrective" actions you take, messages you receive), what you have done to solve the issue... and attach the System Configuration log.

Patrick Polcari

Apr 23, 2015, 7:33:28 PM4/23/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for at least reading and excusing my ignorance. Below is the information I copied from the status page:

System
Temperature
41.0°C/105.8°F
Fan speed
0
Load
0.50
CPU
84%
Swap
0.7/1034MB
Name: RosieDevice: DNS-323 rev-A1Mode: Flashed
Date: Thu Apr 23 19:13:27 EDT 2015Uptime: 6 day(s) 9 hour(s)
Network Speed: 1000Mbps Duplex: full MTU: 1500 TX: 317.6MiB Rx: 1.8GiB IP: 192.168.1.90
Disks
BayDev.ModelCapacityPower StatusTempHealth
rightsdaHitachi HDS721010KLA330 1000.2 GB active or idle 32°C/89.6°F passed
leftsdbHitachi HDS721010KLA330 1000.2 GB active or idle 33°C/91.4°F passed
RAID
Dev.CapacityLevelStateStatusActionDoneETA
md0929.0 GBraid1cleanOKidle
The issue I'm really having trouble with is minidlna. It was working one day and not the next. When I try to start it I received the error:

/etc/init.d/S80minidlna: line 58: check_user: not found
Starting minidlna: start-stop-daemon: unknown user/group
minidlna:multimedia
Fail.

What other information can I relay to you in order to help? Thank you again for your patience.

João Cardoso

Apr 24, 2015, 10:20:23 AM4/24/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
most disk-installable packages only work on the last released firmware, which is RC4.1. As you are running RC3 you have to upgrade, use System->Firmware

Richard Label

Apr 25, 2015, 8:44:20 AM4/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:40:15 AM UTC-4, Patrick Polcari wrote:
Total noob here but still wish to learn from others. I've installed ALT-F 0.1RC3 and have been running it for awhile. Then a couple of days ago minidlna stopped working. I read forums and different groups for help, but so many of the terms and directions were over my head. Yep, you guessed it... I started following as much as I could and ended up making things worse. So my question is:

Is there a way to flash 0.1RCC3 fresh and start new without loosing any of the actual data I have on the drives? Please reach out and let me know. Thank you.

The problem you are having involves the fact that the user minidlna is not a valid user account..  Create the user minidlna and the group multimedia if it does not already exist.   Add minidlna to the multimedia group and your users to multimedia.  You can then configure your folders to allow access to the group multimedia.

That should fix the problem.

João Cardoso

Apr 25, 2015, 10:18:11 AM4/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Only if using exclusively the command line and not using the webUI or the system init scripts (/etc/init.d/S80minidlna or others, which can be called simply as 'rcminidlna start|stop|status|restart|reload|enable|disable|...').

The reason is that the init scripts /etc/init.d/S* in most packages call a function called check_user() to create the needed user and groups and needed folders and sets the correct ownership and permissions to them all. The check_user() function that current packages call doesn't exists in RC3.

So the real solution, and to avoid similar issues in other packages, is to upgrade to RC4.1.

Patrick Polcari

Apr 25, 2015, 10:39:36 PM4/25/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
You were correct Sir. I flashed the update and it seems to be running fine now. Thank you for your time and energy.

David Tan

Sep 16, 2016, 1:11:38 AM9/16/16
to Alt-F
Hi , I also have DNS-323 with Alt-f 0.1RC5 .
But the minidlna never work for me .
Error :
...check_user: not found
Starting minidlna: start-stop-daemon: unknown user/group
minidlna:multimedia
Fail...

Any idea ? Please help ...

João Cardoso

Sep 21, 2016, 1:23:04 PM9/21/16
to Alt-F

On Friday, 16 September 2016 06:11:38 UTC+1, David Tan wrote:
Hi , I also have DNS-323 with Alt-f 0.1RC5 .
But the minidlna never work for me .
Error :
...check_user: not found

It might be a leftover from previous installs or manual edits, please try hitting System->Utilities->Fixes, RemoveAll