release 0.7.0 export TACHYON_UNDERFS_ADDRESS problem

DTing

Jul 29, 2015, 11:59:46 AM7/29/15
to Tachyon Users
I am encounter a problem with TACHYON_UNDERFS_ADDRESS in release 0.7.0 that does not occur with release 0.6.4.

"tachyon format" fails and "tachyon-start.sh all SudoMount" does not start TachyonMaster with
export TACHYON_UNDERFS_ADDRESS=hdfs://<hostname>:<port #> when the hostname is a long FQDN. It does work when I replace the hostname with a numeric IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Bin Fan

Jul 29, 2015, 12:09:10 PM7/29/15
to DTing, Tachyon Users
Could you share the error message when you failed to run "tachyon format"? thanks

DTing

Jul 29, 2015, 12:36:29 PM7/29/15
to Tachyon Users, dpj...@gmail.com
 I was trying to reproduce the error message by replacing the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address with the original FQDN. However, "tachyon format" and "tachyon-start.sh all SudoMount" now work without any problem. I must not have a clean 0.7.0 environment when I switch from 0.6.4. Sorry for the false alarm.

Bin Fan

Jul 29, 2015, 12:50:55 PM7/29/15
to DTing, Tachyon Users
Never mind, glad to hear it works and thanks for the updates

DTing

Jul 29, 2015, 3:44:06 PM7/29/15
to Tachyon Users, dpj...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 11:59:46 AM UTC-4, DTing wrote:
Sorry about the flip-flopping. I stopped tachyon with "tachyon-stop.sh ", I increased my worker count from 2 to 8 nodes. I synced all the 8 nodes and I encountered the problem again when I execute "tachyon format". The error message is :

[hadoopuser@node31 ~]$ tachyon format

Connecting to node0 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node0

Connection to node0 closed.

Connecting to node1 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node1

Connection to node1 closed.

Connecting to node2 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node2

Connection to node2 closed.

Connecting to node3 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node3

Connection to node3 closed.

Connecting to node4 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node4

Connection to node4 closed.

Connecting to node5 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node5

Connection to node5 closed.

Connecting to node6 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node6

Connection to node6 closed.

Connecting to node31 as hadoopuser...

Formatting Tachyon Worker @ node31

Connection to node31 closed.

Formatting Tachyon Master @ node31

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -7

at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1875)

at tachyon.underfs.hdfs.HdfsUnderFileSystem.list(HdfsUnderFileSystem.java:295)

at tachyon.Format.formatFolder(Format.java:41)

at tachyon.Format.main(Format.java:77)

When I replaced the FQDN host name with a numeric IP address "tachyon format" and "tachyon-start.sh all SudoMount" ran without failure.