Tabling for ATL Store & 350 Garden Challenge at the Sunday Daffodil Fun Run

Tina Clarke

Apr 25, 2013, 12:00:22 PM4/25/13
to allthings...@googlegroups.com, transiti...@googlegroups.com, John Gerber, Stephanie Ciccarello
Hello, Friends,

Big Brothers Big Sisters is giving Transition Amherst a table at their annual Daffodil Fun Run on Sunday!  It's happening at Kendrick Park in Amherst, starting at 10:00 a.m.

Anyone want to join me from 9:30 - 11:00 to table?  I thought I'd promote All Things Local Store and the 350 Garden Challenge/Grow Food Amherst!

I will be at the Sustainability Festival on Saturday, 3-5, and will take any ATL materials leftover to the Fun Run at 10:00 Sunday a.m.

PLease spread the word about the Fun Run, inviting people to join in.  It's a lot of good neighborly fun!  Rep. Ellen Story will speak.  The Director of Big Brothers Big Sisters, Renee Moss is very excited about the ideas of Transition Amherst -- bringing the community together, bridging the gaps, and promoting caring for all.

Tina

    Good Morning to All,

    Transition Amherst and All Things Local Market will have a table at the
    Festival this Saturday, but we need volunteers to help "person" it between
    10-4. If you have just one hour, please go to this link and sign up to hand
    out literature and talk to people. The Festival is a very educational
    and enjoyable event, and I hope you will be there. If you are, please
    consider giving an hour to help educate people about Transition and All
    Things Local Market.

    Sign up to volunteer here: http://allthingslocalstore.com/?page_id=444

    Thanks,
    John White

Run for Community Resilience

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, Transition Amherst is working with Big Brothers, Big Sisters to come together as a community and take positive action.  We invite everyone to join in celebrating community and working together as neighbors to create a stronger, more connected town where no one feels afraid, alone, or unseen.

What:  Join the Big Brothers Big Sisters 5K Daffodil Fun Run to Run (& Walk) for Community Resilience

Why:  To show support for victims of the Boston Marathon Bombings and strengthen local community resilience

When:  Sunday, April 28 as part of the Big Bros/Big Sisters Daffodil Fun Run

            11:30 a.m. at Kendrick Park, downtown Amherst

Information:  www.daffodilfunrun.com

Everyone is invited to show support for victims of violence and join in celebrating community connections and caring.

We grieve for those who lost their lives, their legs or feet, or the ability to live a normal life, in the bombings on April 15, or in violence around the world.  Together we will run and walk to commemorate those who died or were injured, in body, heart or mind.

We refuse to live in fear -- to allow the hurtful actions of a few people to frighten our children or take away our public celebrations.  We reclaim the streets of our community.  We affirm the joy of a fun run, roll or walk together, nurturing our health as we meet and greet our neighbors.

We come together to comfort those whose faith in humanity was harmed by violence.  We renew our commitment to build good, positive, safe neighborhoods.  We counteract hate by reaching out to connect with respect and caring for everyone.  In coming together, we are regenerating, and growing, our life together as a community.

Instead of one global run, we invite communities everywhere to “go local” – to create or join an existing run or walk to build community strength, resilience, and caring connections in our neighborhoods and communities.  We invite neighbors everywhere to build local resilience together, saying “no” to violence and “yes” to peaceful, caring community.

In response to anger and hate, we come together to strengthen the foundation of a peaceful community:  our respect and caring for each other.  We take back the streets as our common place – our community space.  We run, roll, and walk in commemoration of those who have died and in solidarity with those who have been harmed by violence.

We give our head, hands and heart, each day, to building and being a strong local community.  At the Run for Community Resilience we come together to celebrate the neighborliness and caring that makes everyday life and happiness possible.

We come together to recommit ourselves to strengthening community life so that everyone feels respected and valued.

We come together to raise money to support our local community organization, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, and the victims of violence.  In celebration we connect as neighbors to build a resilient, caring community.  We strengthen our health as we join in common purpose to create well-being for our young people.

We honor human energy, health and endurance by creating an inclusive human-powered celebration that everyone, including recovering victims of violence, can join.

To join the run, roll and walk for community resilience, please sign up at:  www.daffodilfunrun.com

To support the run/roll/walk for community resilience, you could:

·         Create a sign or bit of music or art.  Share one of your ideas or dreams for creating a more resilient, happy community.  What would a strong, happy neighborhood look like, sound like, or feel like?  Bring your art, music or symbol of local community strength and well-being.

o   Help decorate the route with colorful art!

o   Help enliven or soothe our spirits with home-made, human-powered music!

o   Celebrate local food by local farmers and producers!

o   Your fun idea here!

·         Sponsor or support a runner/roller/walker to raise money for local community needs and dreams

·         Make a Donation to Big Brothers/Big Sisters or another local charity to build peace and well-being in our community

·         Help spread the word about the Run for Community Resilience!

Information:  www.DaffodilFunRun.com

www.daffodilfunrun.com

Register for the run with Big Brothers Big Sisters.  Your donation will help support youth in our community.  Go to:  www.RunReg.com

If you Register by April 26, registration is $20 for students, $27 for non-student adults, and $12 for kids.
(Registration is higher on April 28: $23 for students, $30 for non-student adults, and $15 for kids.)
     A $3 per person discount is available for teams, families or groups of 4 or more people.

For more information about the Daffodil Run, go to:  www.DaffodilFunRun.com

For a list of Runs in the U.S., go to:  www.RunReg.com

For information about Transition Amherst, go to:  www.TransitionAmherst.org

Together we can come together as a community

to respond to violence and harm

with hope and caring for those who were harmed,

and with positive visions and actions

for strengthening community life together,

and our children’s future.

2013 Daffodil Fun Run Flyer.pdf
Run For Community Resilience.doc