linking Allourideas responses to responses from a brief online survey?

Avery Cohn

Jul 23, 2013, 7:51:48 PM7/23/13
to allou...@googlegroups.com

Dear Allourideas group,

What a wonderful tool! Thanks for all of your hard work.  I would like to use the All Our Ideas widget as the final component of a multi-part online survey. I hope to maintain respondent anonymity, but nevertheless be able to associate the responses of each respondent to the survey and the responses of each respondent to the Allourideas pairwise comparison. The survey is simple and short.  I am sending it to about 150 respondents. I will implement it either in Google Forms, or (if necessary) Surveymonkey Gold. Surveymonkey Gold has the advantage of allowing me to redirect respondents to the URL of my choice after they complete the survey.

 I have few ideas about how to combine the survey and the pairwise comparison. I have a feeling that you’ll quickly discover that I am not a web programmer. As such, any thoughts on how to minimize my pain and suffering (or to maximize elegance) would be most welcome.

 Option 1:

I would embed the Allourideas widget on a unique website on my domain for each respondent. These sites would all have the same format and different URLs.  I would email each respondent a unique response URL and instructions to first visit a Google Form and then visit the Allourideas URL. One of the Google form questions would require the respondent to paste the URL where the All Our Ideas widget can be found. Some clever script in the Allourideas widget would pass the URL through the widget to the database.  I would be able to join the two databases using the URL.

 Option 2:

I’d use the custom redirect feature of Surveymonkey Gold to allow a multipage survey followed by a page with the Allourideas widget. Here as before, each respondent would receive an email with a unique response URL. One of the Surveymonkey questions would require the respondent to paste the website URL. Some clever script in Allourideas would pass the URL (of the page where the All Our Ideas widget is found) through the widget to the database.  I would be able to join the two databases using the URL.

Questions:

Is there an easier way to do this? AFAIK it will be tedious to create all of those unique websites.

Is there a cheaper way to do this? Surveymonkey Gold will cost me $300.

Could I use the code for “pass through” from the All Our Ideas widget to pass through a URL to the Google Forms widget?

Best wishes,

Avery

Luke Baker

Jul 24, 2013, 8:36:43 AM7/24/13
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Avery,

All Our Ideas does provide something that ought to help you. It's
described in detail here:

http://blog.allourideas.org/post/7096585923/customized-urls-and-data

In short, if you give each respondent a URL to the All Our Ideas
survey with a unique value in the 'info' parameter, that info
parameter value will be available in the resulting CSV data that you
can download from All Our Ideas. This means you don't need to create
all those unique websites. Just create one and devise a scheme for
creating URLs with unique info parameter values for each respondent.

I'm familiar with Surveymonkey Gold or Google Form, so I'm not sure if
there are better options for integrating with them into this work
flow. At the very least your option #1 of sending the participants two
URLs to visit would probably be sufficient (one to the Google Form and
a unique one to the All Our Ideas widget).

I hope that helps.

Luke

Avery Cohn

Jul 25, 2013, 2:12:12 PM7/25/13
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Luke. This is great news.

Best wishes,
Avery

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "All Our Ideas" group.

Avery Cohn | skype: avery.cohn | +1 (510) 410-3731 US