LDAP?

Alistair Spark

Jun 11, 2013, 3:18:27 PM6/11/13
to allou...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to require LDAP authentication instead of using standalone accounts?

+require anyone responding to login?

I am not a ruby developer so not really able to write a plugin for this but if there is a simple hack which can be done then I'd be keen to implement that.

Thanks

Luke Baker

Jun 11, 2013, 5:09:43 PM6/11/13
to allou...@googlegroups.com
All Our Ideas uses the Clearance library to handle user
authentication. One technique I've used in the past is where I'll
override Clearance's authentication method to authenticate via LDAP,
but still maintain a local user database or users, so that the rest of
the site still has a user that it can associate with the various
pieces. We don't care about the passwords for these users, only their
email, since we don't authenticate from the local user database.

You'd also need to figure out what you want to do on the question
create page, which allows someone to create an account and a question
at the same time. One option would be to require them to login before
creating account. Another option would be to have that username and
password field authenticate via ldap before creating the question.

Here's an example of overriding Clearance's authenticate method:

https://gist.github.com/lukebaker/5760651