Dissertation dedicated to IPBES stakeholder involvement: could you give some advice?

Enitsa Gabrovska

Feb 20, 2012, 1:49:34 PM2/20/12
to Stakeholder Forum on IPBES
Dear all,

My name is Enitsa Gabrovska and I am currently doint an internship at
the IUCN EU representative office in Brussels. At the same time I need
to write my dissertation in order to be able to graduate this July.

After some thought and some research I got interested in IPBES since
it is a "hot" topic in the environmental world and I thought it would
be a great idea to look into it, first because it is very current,
second, it is a UN platform and it is interesting to look at how that
works, and third, there are questions that I am asking myself, so why
not research on it and try to find the answers while I have the great
opportunity to be in the middle of it (hence my being here on this
forum on invitation of Anete Berzina of IUCN).

So, I have decided to focus on the role of civil society. I would like
to examine that role, based on the previous example of the IPCC (sort
of a comparative study), as well as take the points of view of civil
society actors on the topic. I would like to see how such
organizations are seeing their involvement and what happens in
practice and derive conclusions as to how this role can be enhanced
(within the constraints which the UN will inevitably propose, to keep
this realistic).

My question to you is, do you think I have chosen a good direction?
Could you suggest to me possible fields where I can look for
information or possible directions that need closer examination? What
do you think possible specific issues would be relevant here? If you
would like to contribute to my research with an expert interview with
your observations on the topic, please say so! I will be more than
happy. If you could suggest me where to look as a starting point or
direct me to papers that have been produced which could contribute to
my research, I would really appreciate it as well.

Thank you very much for your time in advance. I am hoping to receive
some feedback because you are the people building the civil society
fraction of IPBES and you will be the best judges of my choice and
direction of research.

Best regards,
Enitsa Gabrovska

Steven Cork

Feb 22, 2012, 3:01:11 PM2/22/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Enitsa,

You might like to look at the report by Australia21 (
http://www.australia21.org.au/aust_land_ecosystem_services.htm) on the need
for the whole of society to get involved in thinking about ecosystem
services strategically and taking responsibility and action. The literature
on adaptive governance, which is a key part of discussions about resilience,
is very relevant to ecosystem services I think. Two good starting points
are:

Chapin III FS, et al. (2009) Ecosystem stewardship: sustainability
strategies for a rapidly changing planet. Trends in Ecology and Evolution
25:241-249.

Marshall GR & Stafford-Smith DM (2010) Natural resources governance for the
drylands of the Murray­Darling Basin. The Rangeland Journal 32:267-282.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Steven Cork BSc, PhD
Principal, EcoInsights
Fellow, Australia 21
Adjunct Professor, Crawford School of Economics and Government, Australian
National University
Mobile: 0417 498 649
Phone: (02) 62574289
E-mail: stev...@grapevine.net.au
Personal web page: http://grapevine.net.au/~anncork
Australia 21 web page: http://www.australia21.org.au

Dr Pradip Dey

Feb 24, 2012, 4:14:59 AM2/24/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Enitsa,

Good day!
First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing such an important aspect. Much of the delivery mechanism can be improved with the involvement of role of civil society. Pitfall notwithstanding,

You may refer the following:

Hope these will be of use to you.
Sincerely,
Pradip Dey.

--
For more information on the involvement of civil society in IPBES, please visit www.iucn.org/ipbes
For more information on IPBES, please visit www.ipbes.net

Enitsa Gabrovska

Feb 24, 2012, 9:45:47 AM2/24/12
to Stakeholder Forum on IPBES
Dear Steve, thank you very much for your suggestions. I have found
some of the literature and I have been reviewing it. The example of
Australia sounds quite positive.

Thank you to Arthur Nonomura for advising me to look into specific
organizations that I would like to examine and contact them directly,
as well as to address the issue of high response rate among NGOs and
not so high response rate among scientists and why that is. A very
interesting question, indeed.

And thank you to Philippe Charrier who advised me to look at various
conservation NGOs, for example BirdLife Innternational and all its
local (national) representatives, as well as approach other fields of
NGO (or other pressure groups) activities like campaigns/claims/fund
raising/lobbying. In terms of theories, he suggested I look at the
ones related to socio-constructionism.

I really appreciate it!

I have decided to focus on the role of NGO's in the Platform and I am
planning to investigate a number of (Europe based) NGOs and look into
their involvement in the science-policy setup of IPBES - how they want
it, how they see it and how it will actually be. I would really like
to use the opportunity this forum gives and would very much appreciate
more input from its members, suggestions for actors I could focus on
and ideally NGO representatives who are willing to share their
organizations' standpoints on the topic.

Thank you very much!

Enitsa

On Feb 24, 10:14 am, Dr Pradip Dey <drpradip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Enitsa,
> Good day!
> First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing such an important
> aspect. Much of the delivery mechanism can be improved with the involvement
> of role of civil society. Pitfall notwithstanding,
>
> You may refer the following:http://www.iucn.org/about/work/programmes/ecosystem_management/ipbes/...
>
> http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/statement_on_coordination_of_csos_0...
>
> http://www.iucn.org/news_homepage/all_news_by_theme/forest_news/?8098...
>
> http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/civil_society_and_the_importance_of...
>
> Hope these will be of use to you.
> Sincerely,
> Pradip Dey.

Enitsa Gabrovska

Jun 21, 2012, 10:27:15 AM6/21/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

After a few months of heavy but extremely interesting work, I have completed my dissertation on NGO involvement in the IPBES. Yesterday I successfully defended it in front of the Dissertation Committee at my university and am now a proud owner of an academic piece of work.

I would like to express my gratitude to all those who replied to my questions and helped me find the right information and the right approach. Special thanks to my interviewees Pierre Commenville, Jeffrey McNeely, Bengt Gunnar Jonsson and Leon Bennun for their valuable contributions to my research. And also special thanks to Anete Berzina for her never-ending ethousiasm about the topic and her readiness to always help me in difficult situations.

If anyone is interested in reading my work, feel free to contact me and I will be happy to share.

Kind regards,
Enitsa

diane matar

Jun 21, 2012, 10:50:18 AM6/21/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Enista,

Congratulations!

I am very interested to read your work, could you please send me a summary?

I would also like to investigate about IPBES workshop schedule in the Jeju WCC...Is there an updated agenda and schedule?

Thanks a lot,

Diane Matar

Associate, Strategy & Development
Association for the Protection of Jabal Moussa (APJM)
Biosphere Reserve (2009), wwww.jabalmoussa.org
Hungary: +36 20 486 0264, Lebanon: +961 70 134 253

The Stakeholder Forum on IPBES is established and moderated by the IUCN Programme on IPBES. For assistance or additional information, please write to ip...@iucn.org. Please also note that the views expressed on this Forum do not necessarily reflect those of IUCN.
Groups "Stakeholder Forum on IPBES" group.
To post to this group, send email to
all_fo...@googlegroups.com

MCNEELY Jeff

Jun 21, 2012, 11:03:20 AM6/21/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com
The Stakeholder Forum on IPBES is established and moderated by the IUCN Programme on IPBES. For assistance or additional information, please write to ip...@iucn.org. Please also note that the views expressed on this Forum do not necessarily reflect those of IUCN.
Groups "Stakeholder Forum on IPBES" group.
To post to this group, send email to
all_fo...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group online at
http://groups.google.com/group/all_for_ipbes

This communication, together with any attachment, may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you received it by error and you are asked to please delete it and promptly notify us. Any review, copying, use, disclosure or distribution of any part of this communication, unless duly authorized by or on behalf of IUCN, is strictly forbidden.

Sadia Irshad

Jun 22, 2012, 12:44:06 AM6/22/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Enitsa,

  That’s  great.  Congratulations.  I’m sure the results would be very interesting.

  Can you please share the main findings of your research.

Regards,

Sadia Irshad

Assistant Programme Officer

Environment, Climate Change & Livelihood

Shirkat Gah – Women’s Resource Centre

> > For more options, visit this group online at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/all_for_ipbes

-- For more information on the involvement of civil society in IPBES, please visit www.iucn.org/ipbes

For more information on IPBES, please visit www.ipbes.net

The Stakeholder Forum on IPBES is established and moderated by the IUCN Programme on IPBES. For assistance or additional information, please write to ip...@iucn.org. Please also note that the views expressed on this Forum do not necessarily reflect those of IUCN.

Groups "Stakeholder Forum on IPBES" group.
To post to this group, send email to
all_fo...@googlegroups.com

Ro....@csiro.au

Jun 22, 2012, 1:54:30 AM6/22/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com

Big congrats Enista, I would also be very interested to read your work.

Cheers

Ro

Dr Rosemary Hill

Research Team Leader, Geography & Planning Group, Officer in Charge, CSIRO Cairns Site

CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences

Acting Stream Leader, Planning & Prioritisation, Biodiversity Theme

Adjunct Associate Professor, James Cook University School of Earth & Environmental Sciences

+61 740595013 | +61 740557338 (fax) | 0418188958 (mobile)
ro....@csiro.au

P O Box 12139 |
Earlville BC | Cairns Qld 4870
Room 104E, Australian Tropical Forest Institute Building, James Cook University, McGregor Rd, Smithfield 4878, Queensland

Paula Silva (Quercus)

Oct 12, 2012, 11:57:19 AM10/12/12
to all_fo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Enitsa

Congratulations. Please send me a summary or some information about your dissertation, please.

Best wishes,

Paula Silva
Coordenadora de Projecto
Project Coordinator

logo quercus

--------------------------------------
Quercus – Associação Nacional de Conservação da Natureza

Tlm/Mobile: +351 931 634 670

paula...@quercusancn.pt
www.quercus.pt

Apoie a luta por um ambiente melhor. Faça-se sócio.

2012/6/21 Enitsa Gabrovska <e.gab...@gmail.com>
The Stakeholder Forum on IPBES is established and moderated by the IUCN Programme on IPBES. For assistance or additional information, please write to ip...@iucn.org. Please also note that the views expressed on this Forum do not necessarily reflect those of IUCN.
Groups "Stakeholder Forum on IPBES" group.
To post to this group, send email to
all_fo...@googlegroups.com
logo assinatura.jpg