Re: [alfresco-trans] Start new language

Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Jun 4, 2013, 7:22:00 PM6/4/13
to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
On 06/04/2013 01:36 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:

By the way, I participate in many open source project so I've my own translation memory stored as Lokalize database so it's vital to use it in Alfresco Arabic project... do you've any suggest to do that?
Last thing I came to is:
  1. Download all .properties
  2. Convert .properties files to .po files by prop2po
  3. After finishing translation process convert .po files to .properties files
  4. Upload the resultant files to crowdin.net

Now I've these question before starting trnaslation process tomorrow:

  1. How can I download .properties files all together?
  2. In case the online version modified is there any automatic way to update local .properties files (it's very easy in case gettext but I don't know how in case of .properties)?
  3. As you know Arabic language runs in Right To Left layout, does Alfresco already take this in the consideration (usually it's CSS/JS issue)?

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Oksana Kurysheva

Jun 5, 2013, 3:29:26 PM6/5/13
to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bzs Cart,

We use Crowd-In tool (http://crowdin.net/) to translate Alfresco. Can you tell us what language do you want to translate Alfresco to? After you will do that, I can add new target language in our project at Crowd-In, and you can join the project. As the first translator of the project you will have all permissions for your language translation. It means that you can translate, proofread the translation and approve new requests if somebody wants to join the project. Also you can give proofreader permissions to other users. We will not do that, because you are the first in your language translation project and you are responsible for it.

After we will create the project, you can register at Crowd-In, join the project at http://crowdin.net/project/alfresco. The best way to translate the string is open the file in Crowd-In web interface and translate strings without downloading the file. Using Crowd-In you can see other translations of the string if they exist and see Microsoft Translator advices in how to translate the string. You can also download files, translate them in any text editor and upload them back to Crowd-In. You can find "Download" and "Upload" buttons to the right of the file name.

Localization project structure is the same as the structure of Alfresco:
- In /alfresco/ folder you can find /alfresco web interface strings, content models localization strings, error messages and system messages strings.
- In /share/ folder you can find /share web interface strings. /dashlets/ contains all dashlets localization strings, /admin/ - admin console strings etc.

Several files to get you started:
- share/messages/slingshot.properties, it contains significant /share interface strings. For example, you can search "My Dashboard" in this file.
- share/messages/common.properties, it contains common strings that are used by many Alfresco components.
- alfresco/messages/webclient.properties, it contains /alfresco interface strings. If you use /alfresco web interface you should translate it.

Best regards,
Oksana Kurysheva

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 4:45:16 PM UTC+4, Bzs Cart wrote:
Dear All,

I would like to start a new language translation too. I would translate only some text in the web user interface. Can you help me, how should I start all of these?
What tools I need for that? How can I download the original english language files? Which text editor should I need to use? How can I easily find the text what I want to translate e.g. "My Dashboard" ?

Thank you.

Oksana Kurysheva

Jun 5, 2013, 4:14:42 PM6/5/13
to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi,

I'll try to answer your questions, but it's difficult to understand why do you need to convert .properties files to .po files to translate them.
I have no idea how to upload your translation memory that is not stored at Crowd-In and not to break our project. Let me think about it more time.
About your questions:
1. You can download all files using this link: http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/ar.zip. After you will translate some strings, they will be exported too.
2. File http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/ar.zip is updated every night during we export translations for http://community-translations.alfresco.org. So you can create a script to download ZIP every night and check the difference between old and new versions.
3. I'm not sure, I hope Richard will check his mail, see the question and reply.

Best regards,
Oksana

Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Jun 5, 2013, 4:17:30 PM6/5/13
to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
It seems no one interest in this mailing list!!!

Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

Jun 5, 2013, 4:31:28 PM6/5/13
On 06/05/2013 10:14 PM, Oksana Kurysheva wrote:
I'll try to answer your questions, but it's difficult to understand why do you need to convert .properties files to .po files to translate them.
Most .properties editors are text based editors and don't have translation memory feature so I've to convert them to gettext file format to be able to use my translation memory.

I have no idea how to upload your translation memory that is not stored at Crowd-In and not to break our project. Let me think about it more time.
I didn't ask you about that!

2. File http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/ar.zip is updated every night during we export translations for http://community-translations.alfresco.org. So you can create a script to download ZIP every night and check the difference between old and new versions.
Wow, this is really exhausting I'm wonder why Alfresco uses this stupid translation format!!! Gettext offers a practical and easy way to update recent changes without need to creating a script for finding the differences.

By the way, I supposed that you meant in "check the difference" is using softwares like KDiff or Winmerge. Does it correct?

Oksana Kurysheva

Jun 5, 2013, 4:55:05 PM6/5/13
to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
If we don't need to upload your translation memory then it's great. You can use it locally. After your first message I thought that you want Crowd-In automatically use your translations in Alfresco Arabic localization.

When I said "check the difference" I meant diff. You need just a one simple bash-script to download new file and find changes. Crowd-In provides API for this purposes for the owner and for managers of the project but I cannot share manager features with you at this moment. And I don't think that using APIs is easier than use wget&diff.
If you want to use any other tool to translate Alfresco, you can take original strings from your Alfresco installation and translate them in any other tool that suits you. Use of Crowd-In is not required to create your own language pack.

Best regards,
Oksana

Jun 5, 2013, 5:19:01 PM6/5/13
On 06/05/2013 10:55 PM, Oksana Kurysheva wrote:
If you want to use any other tool to translate Alfresco, you can take original strings from your Alfresco installation and translate them in any other tool that suits you. Use of Crowd-In is not required to create your own language pack.
Hmmm... it seems translating this project not fun just like Gettext or Qt Linguist based projects any way I'll start the translating offline (by converting .properties to .po) but I need a template of English files because po2prop tool need it, where can I find this template (I need http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/en.zip)?

I'm still have two questions:
    1. As you know Arabic language runs in Right To Left layout, does Alfresco already take this in the consideration (usually it's CSS/JS issue)?
    1. How can I upload .properties files all together (is there any kind of version control or something)?

    David Webster

    Jun 6, 2013, 4:23:40 AM6/6/13
    On 5 Jun 2013, at 22:19, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi <mbn...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I'm still have two questions:
    1. As you know Arabic language runs in Right To Left layout, does Alfresco already take this in the consideration (usually it's CSS/JS issue)?
    Hi Muhammad,

    I touched on this briefly in the TTL we had yesterday, but to reiterate: this is something I've investigated in Share & I'm sorry to say that it's not something Share supports out of the box. As far as I can tell, support will purely be in the form of CSS modifications. We're aware that it is something that needs doing, but currently it isn't on the backlog, as far as I'm aware, primarily due to other business priorities.

    As you're working on an Arabic language pack, it's something that I imagine will be essential for you to sort out, so my thoughts on the best ways to proceed are to either:
    1) Modify an existing theme
    2) Create a custom extension pulling in an additional CSS file with the styling modifications.

    Which option you go for will be personal preference and will depend on whether you've got LTR users as well. I think the second route will be easiest to maintain, especially if you're only serving Arabic users.

    You'll then want to work through each of the Share pages (probably starting with the Doc Lib as it'll need the most work) and add the CSS overrides as required. If you use something like the Webkit Inspector in Chrome (or whatever they call it now) you'll be able to ensure you get the selector specificity correct and see the results of your edits in real time.

    Let me know (probably on this list) if you hit any issues and I can try to help you through them.

    David
    --
    David Webster, UI Engineer
    david....@alfresco.com  | Twitter: @davidcognite

    Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

    Jun 6, 2013, 3:19:43 PM6/6/13
    On 06/06/2013 10:23 AM, David Webster wrote:
[...]

    Hmm I didn't expect that at all, I worked on many PHP based applications. Adding RTL support wasn't complected as in Alfresco case (ex. wordpress has a function in the theme for checking the language so in case using RTL language it'll choose specified CSS/JS which works with RTL) so I just want from you to guide me how to do that, but currently I prefer to finish the basic translation then start with RTL layout.

    1) Modify an existing theme
    2) Create a custom extension pulling in an additional CSS file with the styling modifications.

    Which option you go for will be personal preference and will depend on whether you've got LTR users as well. I think the second route will be easiest to maintain, especially if you're only serving Arabic users.
    Actually I prefer to use Alfresco in multi-language mode because not many companies has a different nationalities so serving Arabic users only is just an exception.

    Bzs Cart

    Jun 7, 2013, 4:18:55 AM6/7/13
    to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
    Dear Oksana Kurysheva,

    I see. Thanks for the quick replay. Please create a Hungarian language project. I will join for that (using a different email address).

    Thank you!

    Bzs

    Jun 11, 2013, 4:02:32 AM6/11/13
    to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
    Thank you for added me to the Hungarian project.

    May I ask, how can I search for a specific term, that i would like to translate?
    Then I see all of the .properties files. For example If I want to translate the 'My Dashboard' string, where should I know which file contains that string?
    How can I search that .properties file that includes the 'my Dashboard' string?

    Bzs

    Jun 11, 2013, 5:46:04 AM6/11/13
    to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
    I have an other question. I translate some strings to hungarian. How can I download the translated files form the crowdin? I have to wait until you build the files? Then I just have to download the hungarian package from here? http://alflocal.ossportal.ru/

    Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

    Jun 16, 2013, 6:00:38 PM6/16/13
    On 06/05/2013 11:19 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
    I need a template of English files because po2prop tool need it, where can I find this template (I need http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/en.zip)?
    Guys I need this template critically because all generated files by prop2po are corrupted because of missing template.

    Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi

    Jun 20, 2013, 5:59:48 AM6/20/13
    On 06/17/2013 12:00 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
    On 06/05/2013 11:19 PM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
    I need a template of English files because po2prop tool need it, where can I find this template (I need http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/en.zip)?
    Guys I need this template critically because all generated files by prop2po are corrupted because of missing template.
    It seems this mailing list really dead!

    Oksana Kurysheva

    Jun 21, 2013, 8:04:05 AM6/21/13
    to Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi, alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
    Hi Muhammad,

    I added English target language (http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/en.zip), strings in it match original strings, so you can use it as a template for your tool.
    This mailing list is not dead but this project is non-official and non-commercial, it is not sponsored by Alfresco. As in any open source project we communicate with each other because we like it. Sorry, but your aggressive behaviour that we see in every email doesn't help you to get the reply fast.

    Best regards,
    Oksana

    Jun 21, 2013, 8:06:23 AM6/21/13
    On 06/21/2013 02:04 PM, Oksana Kurysheva wrote:

    I added English target language (http://crowdin.net/download/project/alfresco/en.zip),
    Thanks.

    this project is non-official and non-commercial, it is not sponsored by Alfresco.
    Oops I though translation project for Alfresco is related to Alfresco community!!!

    but your aggressive behaviour that we see in every email doesn't help you to get the reply fast.
    Hey, Where is my aggressive behavior here! Saying that mailing is dead is aggressive behavior!!!

    Oksana Kurysheva

    Jun 21, 2013, 8:36:02 AM6/21/13
    to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
    Alfresco supports us in this project and agrees to include completed translations to Alfresco after reviewing, but this project is not official.

    Aggressive behaviour:
    "it seems translating this project not fun just like Gettext or Qt Linguist based projects", "Guys I need this template critically!!!". Too many exclamation marks, I name this "agressive behaviour"  ;)

    We use this mailing list for collaboration across all the languages. So let me to ask you to send your questions about using CrowdIn platform to the forum at http://crowdin.net/project/alfresco/discussions or to me directly, because I think that this discussion is not interesting to all participants of this list and I don't want to bother them.

    Jun 21, 2013, 8:48:27 AM6/21/13
    On 06/21/2013 02:36 PM, Oksana Kurysheva wrote:
    Alfresco supports us in this project and agrees to include completed translations to Alfresco after reviewing, but this project is not official.

    Aggressive behaviour:
    "it seems translating this project not fun just like Gettext or Qt Linguist based projects", "Guys I need this template critically!!!". Too many exclamation marks, I name this "agressive behaviour"  ;)

    We use this mailing list for collaboration across all the languages. So let me to ask you to send your questions about using CrowdIn platform to the forum at http://crowdin.net/project/alfresco/discussions or to me directly, because I think that this discussion is not interesting to all participants of this list and I don't want to bother them.
    This is really stupid. If posting an opinion is aggressive behavior so there is something wrong going with you, now this is my aggressive behavior!!!!!!!!!!

    All discussions have to be opened not restricted and dump... your majesty, your Highness , if you want to moderate a project you've to be open for all openion. I posted a technical fact that using translation engines like Gettext is more practical (at least you'll never see any duplicates) than .properties you can discuss that with me on this mailing list not be silent then say it was an aggressive behavior.

    Richard Esplin

    Jun 25, 2013, 2:48:10 PM6/25/13
    to Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi, alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com
    Alfresco uses .properties files because they are the standard Java translation tool. I agree that gettext and Qt have their advantages, but that is where we are.

    I personally think this conversation is helpful to the list in general, and I would rather it not go to CrowdIn. Please keep the discussion here.

    This list is new, and doesn't get a lot of traffic. As Oksana pointed out, this is a community effort and it is all pretty recent. Even the Alfresco employees who participate are doing it aside from their normal responsibilities.

    Muhammad:

    I want to emphasize that Oksana has been the driving force behind community translations. She is a volunteer and she is exceptionally nice and helpful. It would be a tragedy if your tone made her less likely to contribute. I don't think you realize how abrasive your posts sound.

    We appreciate your assistance with the Arabic language pack, and we hope you continue to share how you are making progress at using your tools. Your opinion is useful. Please have more patience in waiting for responses and it would help if you express gratitude for the help volunteers like Oksana are generously offering you. If you are paying for an Alfresco subscription, then you can work with our support team for individual attention. Otherwise, please remember the value you are getting from this free tool and this great community.

    Richard

    Richard Esplin

    Jun 25, 2013, 8:14:22 PM6/25/13
    to alfresco-t...@googlegroups.com, Bzs Cart
    Welcome!

    The best place to start is with this wiki page:

    https://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Community_Translations

    The tech talk live I linked in the other post will be really useful as well, but will eventually get out of date.

    Richard