Re: [alfresco-tech] Migrating from MSSQL to Postgresql [Was: Installing Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 with a MySQL database]

Boriss Mejias

Aug 26, 2016, 4:37:18 PM8/26/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nisreen,

Migrating databases is possible but it is not an operation supported by Alfresco, not even with Enterprise license. Nevertheless, it is not too difficult, but it requires some knowledge to check that everything went well. Roughly, steps are:

1. Install a default Alfresco with Postgresql as database, and let alfresco create all the tables.

2. dump only the schema of the postgresql. (pre-data and post-data with pgdump)

3. Create a new database is postgresql (this will be your new postgresql database for Alfresco) and import your pre-data dump

4. Migrate data from MSSQL to postgresql using a tool such as DBTransfer[1] or pgloader[2]

5. import the post-data dump

6. rebuild indexes

7. Start Alfresco.

Caveats: It has to be exactly the same version of Alfresco to perform the migration. If you also want to change the version of Alfresco, you can either upgrade after migrate the database, or before, but, when you are migrating the database, the database schema HAS to be created with the very same Alfresco version.

We used that procedure to migrate all our Alfresco instances from MySql to Postgreql when we were running Alfresco 4.1. Upgrading afterwards to Alfresco 4.2 was no problem. We used DBTransfer for the migration, but pgloader is also very good.

[1] https://github.com/evolute-pt/dbtransfer
[2] http://pgloader.io/howto/pgloader.1.html

I hope it helps
cheers
Boriss

On 26 August 2016 at 17:23, Nisreen Qabbani <nisreen...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to transfer data from the  ms sql database  the previous program to the alfresco community version 5
What a way
Please help me

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 4:41:54 PM UTC+3, Brian McNew wrote:
Thanks!  We do not have a DBA on our staff.  I did install a test environment just allowing the default PostgreSQL installation and was able to get the site up and working with no issues.  I am sort of leaning toward installing with PostgreSQL by installing with the Advanced option and housing the DB, etc. on its own drive.  This is on a Windows 2012 Server.  Do you have a preference for a GUI-based tool to use with PostgreSQL?  I appreciate the info!

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 8:24:45 AM UTC-5, Craig Nelson wrote:
In my opinion that depends on what DB experience you have or your company has. I find there is more general help in mysql however Alfresco moved from mysql to postgres a long time ago so it is easier to get that setup.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Brian McNew <bcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the info Craig!  I'm not sure now whether to just go with PostgreSQL or MySQL.  Have any thoughts about that?

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 3:55:28 PM UTC-5, Craig Nelson wrote:

I would do advanced and only install what you need. No point in have postgres installed. Also the way the services are set up you will have to have it running to start alfresco

On Aug 23, 2016 3:51 PM, "Brian McNew" <bcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am getting ready to install Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 on a Windows 2012 R2 Server using a MySQL database.  Is it best to install Alfresco with the Advanced option and just not select PostgreSQL or go ahead and install PostgreSQL and then change everything to point to MySQL instead?  If so, would I need to install MySQL prior to installing Alfresco?  Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Nisreen Qabbani

Aug 27, 2016, 6:49:31 AM8/27/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
thank you
I will try to do that, and thank you very much for your help