Community Alfresco in AWS with S3 storage options.

Bruce Edge

Jul 22, 2014, 12:50:40 AM7/22/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Is there any option to use S3 for content storage with the community edition of Alfresco?

It looks like the community edition does everything we need, with the exception of S3.
Going with Alfresco enterprise just so we can use the S3 connector feels like a big price for one feature.

Has anyone used the community edition with a hybrid back-end data store using EBS for working storage and S3 for long term & archival data?

What about AWS's http://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/? If we provisioned one of these in AWS, doesn't that essentially do the same thing as the S3 connector?
It provides local LRU cached data in EBS or local storage with an S3 backend.
Admittedly it's a $100/month, but that's a fair side less than an Alfresco enterprise license.

-Bruce

Kevin Diffily

Jul 23, 2014, 8:45:11 AM7/23/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

I haven't but I would suggest setting up (1) EBS, EBS or S3 via FUSE Filesystem, etc and (2) another on a 30 day enterprise trial on virtual machine clones of your current production setup and then stress testing them.

Best,
Kevin
-----------------------

Kevin Diffily

Free technology purchase advice and $25 off your first house call.  Call 571-482-9501 or email ke...@kevindiffily.com with your questions.

Michael McCarthy

Jul 23, 2014, 9:13:52 AM7/23/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

There is a community based version of the S3 connector at https://code.google.com/p/alfresco-cloud-store/. It was the original basis for the Enterprise S3 connector. It's been quite a while since it was updated so it may need a little bit of tweaking.

If you are going to have a local store anyway, there is really no reason you need the S3 connector. There are a lot of solutions out there to sync from local storage to S3. The storage gateway is one of them. It could also be as simple as installing an s3 filesystem on a server and running rsync from the local store to the s3 store. You could of course build a quick custom solution as well using the AWS API.

Jeff Potts

Jul 23, 2014, 10:07:29 AM7/23/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
The original S3 connector was actually a community project and it still exists here:
https://code.google.com/p/alfresco-cloud-store/

There are others interested in moving this forward as a community-maintain module. Maybe it will work for you.

Jeff

Bruce Edge

Jul 24, 2014, 1:14:22 PM7/24/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
The community S3 connector seems to be abandoned. It hasn't been updated since 2012.
Is there a fork of it that is being actively developed?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:50 PM, Bruce Edge <bruce...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any option to use S3 for content storage with the community edition of Alfresco?

It looks like the community edition does everything we need, with the exception of S3.
Going with Alfresco enterprise just so we can use the S3 connector feels like a big price for one feature.

Has anyone used the community edition with a hybrid back-end data store using EBS for working storage and S3 for long term & archival data?

What about AWS's http://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/? If we provisioned one of these in AWS, doesn't that essentially do the same thing as the S3 connector?
It provides local LRU cached data in EBS or local storage with an S3 backend.
Admittedly it's a $100/month, but that's a fair side less than an Alfresco enterprise license.

-Bruce

Michael McCarthy

Jul 25, 2014, 8:54:21 AM7/25/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

There is no other fork that I know of. To be fair, it is only about 600 lines of code. There isn't a lot to update.

Michael

Deanna Delapasse

May 20, 2015, 6:33:16 PM5/20/15
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruce!

Did you give this a shot?  I am also interested.

Deanna