Upgrade Alfresco 4.0.e to 5.0.a community

siddarth reddy

Jul 25, 2014, 2:34:57 AM7/25/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

anyone tried to upgrade 4.0.e to 5.0.a

Regards
siddu

Chris A

Jul 25, 2014, 10:17:23 AM7/25/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I havent tried to upgrade as of yet but due to our email subsystem breaking and no one seems to be able to get it working again, i am left with only the upgrade option in the hopes this fixes the broken email subsystem!!

I am really hesitant to upgrade because there isn't a clear upgrade guide!

doesnt list a upgrade path or have a target 0f 5.0!! In the past, when the first digit in the version moves up (ie 4.2x to 5.0) the upgrade process is very different from a secondary digit upgrade (ie 4.2e to 4.2f). And i understand the 5.0a version has been written/built entirely on maven instead of something else in 4.2x. For these reasons i am VERY hesitant to upgrade.

Can someone, anyone confirm the upgrade process?

Chris A

Jul 26, 2014, 2:41:34 PM7/26/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
OK, so i did a side-by-side upgrade from 4.2.e to 5.0.a. Of course the install worked fine with the exception of the top userbar missing. I followed
Some of the language used in this guide is misleading. Take step 4 for example:

Download and install the new version of the Alfresco WAR in a different directory to the existing installation. See Installing Alfresco.
Can anyone explain why this is in there since you install the new version ion a seperate directory? Not to mention step 5 is blank!
I dont see anything about installing the new version of the Alfresco WAR in the "see installing alfresco" link! In step 6d it says to delete file/directories in the contentstore folder and delete and recreate the database. In all the steps, it never says to restore the DB with the backed up DB? And then there is the back/restore language:

In step 2 from above link, you are told to take a cold backup and from that link you are told to take a DB backup and store it with the dir.root backup. And my all time favorite is step 12-1 :
In step 12 you are told to delete files from the backup (ok, did that). Then in step 13 you are told to delete all the contents of contentstore? huh? In 12 we were talking about from the backup. Are we to assume step 13 talks about the new version contentstore? Step 14 says to restore the backup (the backup taken from step 2 which is a cold backup and tells you to copy the dir.root folder in its entirety. When i restore that backed up folder to the new alfresco dir.root, postgresql does not start!. If i restore just the
  • contentstore directory
  • solr/workspace/ directory
  • solr/archive/ directory
  • contentstore.deleted directory (optional)

postgresql starts fine. BTW, i am using mysql not postgresql and i have made the proper config to use mysql. I then perform a full index and no one can any files, in fact the link to documentlibrary is missing!! It looks like the "upgrade" process is made this way for a reason or am i missing something?

Chris A

Jul 26, 2014, 8:29:51 PM7/26/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
So, i got the upgrade from 4.2.e to 5.0.a working. The key for me was NOT to reuse the alfresco DB but drop and import the sql file into mysql (yes, we are using mysql). Now everything seems to be working fine. The real test will come monday when all my users login and access their data :)

kos...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2014, 4:43:03 PM9/4/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I also did a 4.0 to 5.0 upgrade and I use postgresql.  I can login and see every documentos and sites, my only problem is looks like solr not working, I cant do any search.  did you backup your old db into a sql file then overwrite the 5.0 data base file?

siddarth reddy

Sep 24, 2014, 2:31:27 AM9/24/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com

Hi kos,

Can please guide me the steps you followed to upgrade procedure, i want to Upgrade my Alfresco to 5.0.a and about your solr issue have you regenerated full index after you upgrade.

Regards.
Siddu

Sanket Mohite

Mar 10, 2017, 10:08:35 AM3/10/17
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Hi,

We tried upgrading form 4.0 to 5.0 community version. We are using postgres based alfresco.

But in alfresco 5.0 table structure is totally different than 4.0 thus we are not able to map this two version to retain old data

Has any one complete this successfully on community version? If so requesting you to guide how I can retain old data post migration?

Thanks
Sanket

Sanket Mohite

Mar 10, 2017, 10:08:38 AM3/10/17
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
did u use community version or enterprise?  If community if oyu can mail me steps followed to migrate with existing data on sanket....@gmail.com

Igor Blanco

Mar 13, 2017, 4:34:48 AM3/13/17
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
In order to upgrade you should go by pointing a newer version of Alfresco to the same contentstore and database. Alfresco has its own scripts in order to update the required database structures.
But keep in mind that you might not be able to upgrade directly from 4.0 to 5.0 , you might have to go throug 4.2 before.

You should make a full copy of your data and test it before doing the definitive upgrade.

Igor Blanco González
Binovo IT Human Project
e-mail: ibl...@binovo.es
Telf. :   943493611