Installing Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 with a MySQL database

Brian McNew

Aug 23, 2016, 4:51:49 PM8/23/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
I am getting ready to install Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 on a Windows 2012 R2 Server using a MySQL database.  Is it best to install Alfresco with the Advanced option and just not select PostgreSQL or go ahead and install PostgreSQL and then change everything to point to MySQL instead?  If so, would I need to install MySQL prior to installing Alfresco?  Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Craig Nelson

Aug 23, 2016, 4:55:28 PM8/23/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com

I would do advanced and only install what you need. No point in have postgres installed. Also the way the services are set up you will have to have it running to start alfresco

On Aug 23, 2016 3:51 PM, "Brian McNew" <bcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am getting ready to install Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 on a Windows 2012 R2 Server using a MySQL database.  Is it best to install Alfresco with the Advanced option and just not select PostgreSQL or go ahead and install PostgreSQL and then change everything to point to MySQL instead?  If so, would I need to install MySQL prior to installing Alfresco?  Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Brian McNew

Aug 26, 2016, 9:18:58 AM8/26/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Thanks for the info Craig!  I'm not sure now whether to just go with PostgreSQL or MySQL.  Have any thoughts about that?

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 3:55:28 PM UTC-5, Craig Nelson wrote:

I would do advanced and only install what you need. No point in have postgres installed. Also the way the services are set up you will have to have it running to start alfresco

On Aug 23, 2016 3:51 PM, "Brian McNew" <bcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am getting ready to install Alfresco Community Edition 5.1 on a Windows 2012 R2 Server using a MySQL database.  Is it best to install Alfresco with the Advanced option and just not select PostgreSQL or go ahead and install PostgreSQL and then change everything to point to MySQL instead?  If so, would I need to install MySQL prior to installing Alfresco?  Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Craig Nelson

Aug 26, 2016, 9:24:45 AM8/26/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion that depends on what DB experience you have or your company has. I find there is more general help in mysql however Alfresco moved from mysql to postgres a long time ago so it is easier to get that setup.

Brian McNew

Aug 26, 2016, 9:41:54 AM8/26/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Thanks!  We do not have a DBA on our staff.  I did install a test environment just allowing the default PostgreSQL installation and was able to get the site up and working with no issues.  I am sort of leaning toward installing with PostgreSQL by installing with the Advanced option and housing the DB, etc. on its own drive.  This is on a Windows 2012 Server.  Do you have a preference for a GUI-based tool to use with PostgreSQL?  I appreciate the info!

Nisreen Qabbani

Aug 26, 2016, 11:24:30 AM8/26/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
I want to transfer data from the  ms sql database  the previous program to the alfresco community version 5
What a way
Please help me

Craig Nelson

Aug 26, 2016, 11:30:25 AM8/26/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
That sounds more like a db migration issue where you will need to export the sql from ms sql and then modifying it to the database you want. That isn't something that I have ever done or would intend on doing. If I was currently using a db I would not recommend migrating to another type of DB unless you have a good reason for doing so.

Brian McNew

Aug 26, 2016, 3:35:46 PM8/26/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Craig,

Do you know of preferred GUI-based tool to use with PostgreSQL?  Thanks!

Craig Nelson

Aug 26, 2016, 3:38:23 PM8/26/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

I don't have a preference on any GUI-based PostgreSQL tool; however, pgAdmin is a tool i most commonly use thought for Postgres.

Brian McNew

Aug 26, 2016, 3:47:45 PM8/26/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks!  I had installed pgAdmin III on my test server, but haven't been successful in connecting to the database.  I'm sure I just don't know what the default DB name is and the user/password in order to connect.

Boriss Mejias

Aug 26, 2016, 4:25:11 PM8/26/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I have some experience with PostgreSQL, but no experience with windows servers. Being that said, I believe pgAdmin III is a good tool for your administration. To get the right credentials for the connection, have a look at the alfresco-global.properties file and search for the db.* properties.

Special attention to db.port. Default port is 5432, but it might be that alfresco installed postgresql with a different port.
It is possible that db.port is not defined, but that the port is written on the db.url property.

Note that the alfresco user will be the owner of the alfresco database, but not the super user of the postgresql engine. You might need to be able to connect with the 'postgres' user to perform some administration tasks.

I hope it helps
Cheers
Boriss