Office +backup

Nisreen Qabbani

Dec 4, 2016, 6:59:43 AM12/4/16
to Alfresco Technical Discussion
Hello, I am currently working on alfresco 5
I could not work on Office files How can I solve the problem
What is the easiest way to save a backup
Please Help

Boriss Mejias

Dec 4, 2016, 3:15:31 PM12/4/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nisreen,

Can you rephrase your question? What kind of work are you trying to perform with Office files?

And your question about backups, is it about backups of Alfresco? or something about the Office files?

Cheers
Boriss

Nisreen Qabbani

Dec 5, 2016, 5:35:20 AM12/5/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
I want to know how can I set up Office file through  alfresco 5 on Windows؟؟

Yes alfresco
The easiest way to save a backup copy
thank you so much

Boriss Mejias

Dec 5, 2016, 10:13:11 AM12/5/16
On 5 December 2016 at 11:35, Nisreen Qabbani <nisreen...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to know how can I set up Office file through  alfresco 5 on Windows؟؟

I don't think I can help you on this part. For the backup, see below:

Yes alfresco
The easiest way to save a backup copy

You basically have to backup three things:

1. Database
2. Content Store
3. Search Indexes.

The indexes you can rebuild them entirely in case you loose them, but since that action takes time, you better back them up.

Now that you know you have to backup these 3 things, you have two choices:

1. Cold backup: stop Alfresco-> backup -> Start Alfresco
2. Hot backup: Backup the three things in the given order above, but be careful to backup Solr indexes of one day older. You don't need to stop Alfresco.

For more details, there is good documentation here:

http://docs.alfresco.com/5.1/concepts/backup-intro.html

IMPORTANT!

Don't feel that it is enough to take the backup. You need to test your backups doing regular recovery tests (hopefully automated).

If you want a tool to do it for you, have a look at BART:

https://github.com/toniblyx/alfresco-backup-and-recovery-tool

I hope it helps
Cheers
Boriss

Jeff Potts

Dec 5, 2016, 1:09:50 PM12/5/16
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
The phrase "set up Office file through Alfresco 5 on Windows" is ambiguous.

If you mean you want to store Office files in Alfresco, that is possible out-of-the-box.

If you mean you want to transform Office files from their original format into another format (such as PDF), that requires LibreOffice to be installed on your Alfresco server. You can do that automatically with the installer or you can do it manually which is covered in the docs at docs.alfresco.com.

If you mean you want to use Microsoft Office instead of LibreOffice to transform Office documents, you'll need to install a separate Transformation Server, which is only available to Alfresco Enterprise subscribers. Contact your sales rep for more information on that.

If you mean you want to do "Edit Online" from within Alfresco Share and use Office within the browser to make changes to an Office document, that can be done provided you are using the correct browser and browser version, and potentially perform some additional configuration steps, which are also covered in the docs at docs.alfresco.com.

Hopefully one of these match up to what you are trying to do. If not, please reply with more details.