Migrating content from Moodle

Ahmed Osman

Feb 6, 2014, 2:07:57 PM2/6/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I’m assisting a number of groups within my company migrate to Alfresco, one group has been using moodle for serving content out to their users (partners). Has anyone done such a migration before and have any suggestions on the best way to transfer content over?

Ahmed Osman

DevOps Engineer

Infrastructure Support Services EMEA

TIBCO Spotfire

Peter Monks

Feb 6, 2014, 7:00:47 PM2/6/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
G'day Ahmed,

I don't have any direct experience migrating content from Moodle, but if you're able to get the content out of Moodle and onto disk, the Bulk Filesystem Import Tool [1] is worth considering for the import step into Alfresco.

Ahmed Osman

Feb 7, 2014, 9:53:28 AM2/7/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter!

Thanks for the info, I’ve started testing with the bulk fs import tool (for some reason it misbehaves on my laptop) and it looks like a good option, the primary issue is the group doesn’t have direct access to the server moodle is on so they’re pulling files out through the web interface :(

Ahmed Osman

DevOps Engineer

Infrastructure Support Services EMEA

TIBCO Spotfire

Peter Monks

Feb 7, 2014, 12:59:03 PM2/7/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com
Yes exporting from the source system (whatever it is) typically ends up being the largest hassle when migrating content to Alfresco.  Unsurprisingly most vendors don't seem to want to make it easy to get your content out of their product!  ;-)

Does Moodle have an API that can be used to bulk export the content?  That would avoid the need to manually download files one-by-one through a web UI.

Cheers,
Peter

Richard Esplin

Feb 7, 2014, 10:27:03 PM2/7/14
to alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com, Ahmed Osman
I am surprised by how hard it is to get content out of Moodle. The source code
is available, but it doesn't look like anyone has written an exporter that
gets much use.

There are a few threads at moodle.org that discuss downloading all of the files
on a per-course basis. Apparently there is an option to do it in Moodle:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=70021

The closest I could find to a tool was this:

http://linuxbox.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=moodle_content_exporter

None of these solutions appear to preserve metadata. So I suspect it wouldn't
be too hard to figure out where the files are stored in the DB or on the
filesystem and just grab them. If that wasn't obvious, you could easily write a
web scraper with Mechanize and BeautifulSoup to grab everything.

Good luck,

Richard

On Friday, February 07, 2014 14:53:28 Ahmed Osman wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> Thanks for the info, I’ve started testing with the bulk fs import tool (for
> some reason it misbehaves on my laptop) and it looks like a good option,
> the primary issue is the group doesn’t have direct access to the server
> moodle is on so they’re pulling files out through the web interface :(
>

> Ahmed Osman
> DevOps Engineer
> Infrastructure Support Services EMEA
> TIBCO Spotfire
>
> "alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com<mailto:alfresco-technical-d
> iscu...@googlegroups.com>"
> <alfresco-techn...@googlegroups.com<mailto:alfresco-technical-d
> iscu...@googlegroups.com>> Subject: Re: [alfresco-tech] Migrating content
> from Moodle
>
> G'day Ahmed,
>
> I don't have any direct experience migrating content from Moodle, but if
> you're able to get the content out of Moodle and onto disk, the Bulk
> Filesystem Import
> Tool<https://code.google.com/p/alfresco-bulk-filesystem-import/> [1] is
> worth considering for the import step into Alfresco.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/alfresco-bulk-filesystem-import/
>

> On 2014-02-06, at 11:07 AM, Ahmed Osman
> <aos...@tibco.com<mailto:aos...@tibco.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’m assisting a number of groups within my company migrate to Alfresco, one
> group has been using moodle for serving content out to their users
> (partners). Has anyone done such a migration before and have any
> suggestions on the best way to transfer content over?
<snip>