Trouble with creating pages

tinamerr...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2016, 10:09:58 AM3/5/16
to Alchemy CMS
Hi  a noob here, if this is the incorrect place to ask for help can someone please direct me, thanks.

I can't work out how to view my pages in the CMS to add content to them.

I have been reading as much as I can find and have completed the following:

  • Installed Alchemy CMS and Solidus into a vagrant box Rails 4.2.2, Alchemy 3.2, Solidus  from github in February 2016
  • Created elements for a page I want to create and run rails g alchemy:elements --skip , all the partials are then in app/views/alchemy/elements
  • Created a cells.yml in config/alchemy  and added a few cells that I want in my page
  • Edited the  config/page_layouts.yml (with the name homepage) I want to create with the cells I want, then run rails g alchemy:page_layout --skip

I then have app/views/alchemy/page_layouts with _homepage.html.erb created content :<%= render_elements %>

I suppose my first question is this the correct process to create the ability to edit the page content in the editor of the  CMS?

If yes then should I do something else as I do not appear to have these pages available in the CMS, or I can't work out how to create/view them.

If not could someone guide me on what I should do please?
I can add my code if this will help.

Thank you in advance

Thomas von Deyen

Mar 5, 2016, 10:39:20 AM3/5/16
to alche...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

This place is right. You could also use our slack or gitter to reach out to the community.

To answer your question:

If you put elements in a cell they won't appear unless you render them explicitly.

To render elements from a cell use the <%= render_elements from_cell: "name_of_your_cell" %> helper. Also see http://guides.alchemy-cms.com/stable/cells.html

I recommend to avoid using cells for starters, unless you really need them to organize complex layouts.

You could also use the latest master of Alchemy, there we introduced a new feature called nestable elements. These are way more flexible then cells and will most likely replace them in future versions of Alchemy.

Best

Thomas

tinamerr...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 8:20:35 AM3/19/16
to Alchemy CMS
Thank you very much for your reply. I now have the pages and cells rendering.

I have quite a complex layout and have started using cells to help with the css. Is there any documentation or examples for nested elements so I can see which method would support me best?

Thank you again