scss file not changing css for my page

tinamerr...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 7:11:10 PM3/19/16
to Alchemy CMS
Hi
Thanks in advance but can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have installed Alchemy CMS, created elements, have some cells but my scripts didn't always create what I hoped for so I reverted just to using elements listed sequentially in my page_layouts.

I am now trying to edit the scss and do not get any response on the web page, even when trying to change the background-color of the body tag.

I have spent nearly 2 days trying to understand and researching this issue and am not getting anywhere. I am probably making a very basic error as I am really new to Rails and Alchemy.  I am editing the app/assets/stylesheets/alchemy.elements.css.scss file is this correct?

I also have solidus installed is this complicating matters I think it may be but I can't find the files solidus is producing in the inspector?

Thanks for any help.

tinamerr...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 4:38:14 AM3/20/16
to Alchemy CMS
As I am using Solidus I addedd css to the vendor/assets/stylesheet/frontend/all.css and it altered the css. Yipee
I will now be adding my css to the vendor css files.

Thomas von Deyen

Mar 20, 2016, 4:53:47 AM3/20/16
to alche...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

First of all: Welcome!

Second, I recommend to read some basics about Rails and the rendering pipeline. It can be confusing if you don't know the basics. The rails guides have some great introduction http://guides.rubyonrails.org/layouts_and_rendering.html

In your case the CSS file is probably not used in the layout file. Make sure your layout file you are using has `<%= stylesheet_link_tag "application.css" %>` in the head section.

The tricky question is: What layout is currently being used. Solidus/Spree has its own layout, instead of using the default rails' one ("application.html.erb"). So, you need to decide what layout file you want to use. I would recommend to use the Rails default.

You can configure what layout Spree/Solidus is using within the configuration.

Either set `Spree::Config.layout = "application"` in your `config/initializers/spree.rb` to use the Rails default or create a file `app/views/layouts/spree/spree_application`to override the Spree/Solidus default.

Hope this helps. For further help I recommend to join the Solidus Slack http://slack.solidus.io or the Alchemy Slack http://slack.alchemy-cms.com

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas von Deyen

Mar 20, 2016, 4:54:53 AM3/20/16
to alche...@googlegroups.com
Just read this.

Please read my previous answer. As this will work, it is recommended to use the correct layout file.

Best

tinamerr...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2016, 9:17:59 AM3/26/16
to Alchemy CMS
Thank you,

I needed to learn more to understand the layouts system.