Long Range

Bogie

Apr 27, 2015, 12:22:54 AM4/27/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
It's been awhile but I'm back on a 2 & 2 schedule for the summer and need some "long range" practice.  Do we have any long range facilities on the peninsula?  I'm looking forward to making a "joyful noise" again soon.

Norm Olson

Apr 27, 2015, 1:07:24 AM4/27/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
Unless you're figuring on being a sniper, you might take a look at
"Army rifle qualification standards" (Google it)..    More critical
training seems focused on 50-100-200-300 yards (or meters).
If you can consistently hit a 1" square at 50 yards in the prone,
sitting, kneeling, and standing position, you'll be able to take
care of business at any distance.   Just a thought...

To post send email to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Alaska Citizens Militia" group.

Avast logo

Stan Higgins

Apr 27, 2015, 2:04:09 AM4/27/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
I understand and agree.  While I'm not a 1,000 yd nut, for both political and tactical reasons, I have a limited interest in "assault rifles".  In the seniors a citizen is likely to encounter, an "assault" would most likely be a suicide mission.  Assault rifles may be great for keeping your advisories head down while you attempt to escape, but that means that your primary mission has already failed and you're just hoping to disappear before your supply of ammo does. I would prefer to make my escape with far less fan-fair.

I am currently a member of the Cooper Landing range but it maxs out at 100 yards with a hiking trail further downrange.  Being able to consistently hitting a one inch square at 100 yards is excellent shooting but only requires control of the shooter's body functions and a decent weapon.  However, after zeroing, it doesn't require consideration of, or estimation of, range, angle, wind or drop.  It also doesn't provide the most important thing of all.  Confidence.  Only the experience of having seen yourself make a 300, 400 or 500 yard head shot will give you the confidence and willingness to take that shot when you need to.  It's my belief that being able to do so, as pointed out in previous articles, is the only way an inferior force can hope to effectively confront superior fire power and technology.  It was, after all, Kentucky Long Rifles that stopped the British in their tracks.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Bogie <bogie...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's been awhile but I'm back on a 2 & 2 schedule for the summer and need some "long range" practice.  Do we have any long range facilities on the peninsula?  I'm looking forward to making a "joyful noise" again soon.

To post send email to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Alaska Citizens Militia" group.

Cognitio est potencia

Shane Land

Apr 27, 2015, 12:38:56 PM4/27/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
I don't feel that you need to have a limited or extended interest in any weapons system if you know how to use your equipment because after all, weapons are nothing more than tools, inanimate objects.

Any weapons system, be it a long rifle or assault rifle types, can utilized to keep heads down in order to make an escape and facing facts here, you are going to have a "fan fair" regardless.  If you are fan of the long rifle, then you really do not need more than a 100 yard (or meter) range to practice.  Like you say, it does provide confidence to be able to make those greater distance shots.  However, if a person understands basic fundamentals of shooting, his/her weapons system (to include ammo), environmental factors, and some general mathematics, then a shot at a greater distance can be made.  It isn't about who has the best scope or rifle or ammo etc.....it's the shooter who makes the shot, the weapon system is nothing more than a tool.  Much like driving a nail, the hammer is the tool but cannot swing itself or line itself up to hit the nail.  The person swinging the hammer drives the nail.

I'm sure we've all seen people at the range who have all the toys and gadgets on their weapons and still can't accurately hit a target at 25 meters.  Then they complain about the weapon system being messed up or blah, blah, blah.  It takes understanding of what you have, why you have it, and what you want to accomplish with it.  It takes research, reading, studying, and above all, it takes practice.

I would suggest you modify your training somewhat and do some pressure shooting at 50-75-100 yards.  Stress yourself by doing 50 push ups or jumping jacks then sprint 25 yards to the firing line, position yourself, and take your shot.  Put yourself on a clock to add pressure to the equation if you'd like.  Zero your weapon at 25 yards and learn how to engage at distances between 25-100 with holds if you do not already know how (I'm sure you know, no insult, but just adding for other readers).  If you are limited and have only a 100 yard range, make the most of it by changing things up a bit in how you are shooting, not the distance you are shooting.

As for the Kentucky long rifle stopping the British in their tracks, well, I guess I can debate that one.  It was the shooter who stopped them in their tracks in my opinion as the rifle was just a tool.

At any rate, go have some fun my friend.

Shane

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Alaska Citizens Militia" group.

J R

Apr 27, 2015, 12:44:38 PM4/27/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
they are NOT assaut rifles mine have never assaulted anyone. Mine are
for keeping me a FREE AMERICAN CITIZEN
--
Μολὼν λαβέ.

Stan Higgins

Apr 28, 2015, 2:46:14 AM4/28/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the boot camp.  I guess if you can learn to accurately hit 300 and 500 yard targets on a 100 yard range, then every branch of the military built all of those 300, 500 and 1,000 yard pits just to burn up the extra money in the their budget.  At anyrate, I guess the $1 answer to my original question is "No, there aren't any".   Thanks again.

toby gilbert

Apr 28, 2015, 1:42:37 PM4/28/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
Im not sure about any long range shooting fields near the peninsula, but Sutton has a great range with all the yardage you would want.

Sent from my iPad

J R

Apr 28, 2015, 3:56:35 PM4/28/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
I have a level flat hayfield good for 1000+ meters in the valley if
anyones interested contact me at this email addy
Μολὼν λαβέ.

toby gilbert

Apr 28, 2015, 6:19:02 PM4/28/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
I'm certainly interested in that hay field.

Sent from my iPad

Stan Higgins

Apr 29, 2015, 12:09:24 AM4/29/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JR,
I have my own table and target frames so distance is all I need.  I'll try to catch up with you later this summer.

Thanks again,
Stan

Stan Higgins

Apr 29, 2015, 12:12:24 AM4/29/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Toby,
I'll check it out if I can get up that way.  If you're ever going through Cooper Landing, I've got a key there.

Thanks again,
Stan

toby gilbert

Apr 29, 2015, 1:24:58 AM4/29/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
Much appreciated, I will be going through Cooper landing very soon, to float the river and fish so will have to say hello.
J.R.  Any time this week end would be great.

Sent from my iPad

Stan Higgins

Apr 29, 2015, 1:43:50 AM4/29/15
to alaska-citi...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently in Thailand and will be returning straight to work.  ETA Cooper on 5/26.