Something going on with connectivity? 2017-06-19 about 16:00 EDT

Bill Mayhew

Jun 19, 2017, 8:15:14 PM6/19/17
to Akron Linux Users Group
I started noticing some problems wtih assorted US .gov web sites about 16:00 EDT today, June 19. There seems to be problem reaching vsrious eastern US Internet locations, it is now about 20:00 and it looks like there still may be some issues. I noticed issues on both my cable connection and 4g mobile phone starting about 16:00.

Down Detector seems to be showing some issues on their heat map. Live map version (for Spectrum) is here: http://downdetector.com/status/spectrum/map/

admfubar

Jun 19, 2017, 10:32:44 PM6/19/17
to akro...@googlegroups.com
Lots of slow /down systems along the east coast might be storm related
as a line of strong storms are along the east coast.

Bill Mayhew

Jun 19, 2017, 10:54:46 PM6/19/17
to Akron Linux Users Group
Apparently the issue is a fiber cut in Wilmington, NC. according to this report:  https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/06/19/internet-cable-outage/

So much for routing protocols and path diversity preventing a single point of failure.   Either that, or the NSA was having a little trouble getting some new taps installed :-)