Interesting Microsoft strategy

Bill Mayhew

Nov 12, 2014, 11:42:48 PM11/12/14
to akro...@googlegroups.com
I had to do a double take when I read this:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/microsoft-open-sources-net-takes-it-to-linux-and-os-x/

Interesting that M$ changed from the Apache to MIT license. It feels like a bit of a nod to can't beat 'em, so join 'em. It also sounds like an admission that nobody is going to write applications for M$ mobile/phone when developers can make more money in the much larger IOS and Android market. It seems like a smart move to open up .NET so that M$ gets to harvest the talent elsewise going to IOS and Android to pad M$'s own library of available applications.

I was formerly at a company that required us to use Visual Studio and .NET. I have admit that Visual Studio is a very nice IDE. I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to see the community edition, but I am a little intrigued. I still don't trust M$'s motives

Laura A Knotek

Nov 13, 2014, 12:07:35 AM11/13/14
to akro...@googlegroups.com
Well, I am using a Windows Phone and eligible for an upgrade. It seems like all the new Windows Phones since Microsoft bought Nokia are low-end devices aimed at the Third World.

I've always used flagship devices, not cheap "burner" phones.

I'm going to wait until Build, but if no flagship devices are released, then I'm switching to Android.

Laura A Knotek