Fwd: Your Android device is probably in need of patching

James Kvochick

Jul 28, 2015, 1:43:11 PM7/28/15
to akro...@googlegroups.com
FYI
James Kvochick

Begin forwarded message:

From: Android Developer News <A...@bz-news.com>
Subject: Your Android device is probably in need of patching
Date: July 28, 2015 at 1:36:39 PM EDT

Not rendering correctly? View this email as a web page here.
AndroidDevNews-headerlogo.jpg
Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Email
IN THE NEWS

Android vulnerability puts 95% of devices at risk, researcher says

By Christina Mulligan

Researchers say they have found the biggest Android security flaws known to date. The vulnerabilities, nestled inside Android’s media playback library Stagefright, are said to affect 950 million Android devices, which amounts to 95% of them.

Mobile security researcher Joshua J. Drake, vice president of platform research and exploitation at Zimperium zLabs, discovered the vulnerabilities in April, but believed there are plenty of manufacturers who still haven’t addressed them, Forbes reported... READ MORE »

PLATINUM SPONSOR

Develop Native Apps Faster with Intel® INDEIntel

Save time, code natively and integrate tools into your preferred IDE. The Intel® Integrated Native Developer Experience (Intel® INDE) is a cross-architecture productivity suite that provides tools, support, and IDE integration for the creation of high-performance apps on Intel® Architecture.

» Learn More

Honda’s 2016 Accord with Android Auto

By Rob Marvin

Honda has unveiled its 2016 Accord featuring both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay interface functionality.

Honda becomes the first auto manufacturer to roll out a connected vehicle supporting both Apple and Google’s automotive operating systems synced with an Android or iOS device. Android Auto offers 2016 Accord drivers features such as Google Maps, Google Now... READ MORE »

GOLD SPONSOR

Build Better Cross-Platform AppsIntel

Visit Intel® Software at AnDevCon in Boston, and see how to reuse your code to quickly create mobile apps for multiple OSs with Intel® INDE. This cross-platform tool suite helps you create and deliver high-performing, responsive applications fast for Android, Windows, and OS X.

» Learn More

ANDEVCON UPDATE
Katie SerigneseBy Katie Serignese, Conference Program Manager

AnDevCon Boston 2015 kicks off tomorrow! If you're unable to attend, please follow @AnDevCon and #AnDevCon on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news, photos and information. We'll also be posting to our Facebook page for more in-depth analysis. Join the conversation, and we are sorry we missed you!

SILVER SPONSOR

AnDevCon Goes West

AnDevCon

Join us for the 10th AnDevCon, located in the heart of Silicon Valley in Santa Clara this December 1-3. AnDevCon is the largest event in the Android developer community, packed with more than 55 classes and tutorials on the latest APIs, development patterns, best practices, Android Wear, Project Brillo and more. Reserve your spot to day for the super-low price of $1,095—a savings of $450!

» Sign me up for that!

LINKAPALOOZA

The next two weeks of The Linker's time will be spent watching people rapidly click mouses while things happen on screens. It's the best. For those of you who prefer to tap on screens while things happen, we've got links for you.

See Android go! Go, Android, go!

Arrow Launcher is an action-based Android launcher from Microsoft.

Meet the app that fans are calling "the best thing that ever happened to Android..."

Advanced spyware for Android now available to script kiddies everywhere...

Quick tip: How to surround text with quotes in IntelliJ...

Hack Brief: The Android text attack...

Today's random Android API: Using enums in Android

BRONZE SPONSOR

The Largest UAV Conference in History

InterDrone

Don’t miss the largest event this year in the world of commercial drones: InterDrone, the International Drone Conference and Exposition, landing in Las Vegas this September 9-10-11. With 104 classes, keynotes, and panels, 107 speakers, 85 leading vendors on the Expo floor, and countless one-of-a-kind experiences like the InterDrone Film Festival, the Yes-Fly Zone and more, InterDrone places you right at the center of this exciting red-hot industry! Save $150 on the All-Access Pass by registering today!

» Take Me There!

FROM THE WEB
Editor: Adam LoBelia • Publisher: Ted Bahr
Please  Do Not Reply to This Message

            For advertising information, contact Adam Teichholz, Sales Manager
            Send your feedback, comments and suggestions to feed...@bzmediamail.com
            For customer service, contact ne...@bzmediamail.com

For uninterrupted delivery, add A...@bz-news.com to your address book or whitelist.

Android Developer News, Copyright © 2015, BZ Media LLC. All rights  reserved.

Android Developer News may be redistributed only in unedited form. Written permission from the
publisher must be obtained to reprint the information contained within this newsletter.

Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Email

BZ Media LLC   225 Broad Hollow Road  Ste. 211E  Melville,  NY   11747

You received this email because you are subscribed to Android Developer News (weekly e-newsletter) from BZ Media LLC.

Update your email preferences to unsubscribe or manage the types of emails you receive.

Bill Mayhew

Jul 29, 2015, 12:34:09 AM7/29/15
to Akron Linux Users Group, k...@att.net
Possibly easier said than done! The Stagefright library is not just a download from the Play Store, is is more likely going to have to be a system update pushed by the mobile carrier. Only Google Nexus will get the fix pushed diectly. As of this writing, 2021-07-28, only the Security Blackphone has been patched - the latter is running a hardened fork OS, not stock Android.

Until a definitive fix is pushed by one's respective carrier, one will either have to root her/his phone to custom dissble Stsgefright or switch the text message application to something that will not process incoming MMS throgh Stagefright. Google Messenger can replace the more vulnerable Hangouts, provided auto-retrieve and groip messaging are turned off in settings. At least with some dilligence you can avoid opening a suspect MMS. Furthermore, one might work with her/his wireless carrier. On some some phones it is possible in system settings to disable the APN (acceess point name) that provisions MMS. I found on my phone on Sprint, the APN setting is grayed out snd locked down so I can't change the setting.

If you have a couple year old phone like a Doid-X, good luck. I have a feelinģ it'll be a cold day in ... before a fix gets pushed.