Microsoft SONIC SDN is Debian based

Bill Mayhew

Mar 10, 2016, 2:08:50 PM3/10/16
to Akron Linux Users Group
This is interesting!: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-gives-away-sdn-software-sonic-through-open-compute-project-2016-3

So Microsoft is using a Debian based system to provide the software defined networking (SDN) fabric for its own cloud services... I got the impression SONIC may have gorwn out of what is being done at Facebook. The idea of writing a switch abstraction layer for any and/or all manufacturers' network hardware and then controlling it all from SONIC is pretty cool. It would be interesting to meet somebody from Microsoft, Facebook, or whatever enterprise network is deploying SONIC. I wonder how much is reality and how much is wishful thinking. Trying to get everybody to write an interoperable abstraction layer for their equipment seems like it would be kike hearding cats - it would take somebody big with a lot of influence to get it to hapoen.