Finding work in the area

Justin Smith

Jan 18, 2015, 9:44:05 AM1/18/15
to akro...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Akron LUG! I'm Justin, currently an active member of the Western PA Linux Users Group (WPLUG) and I live in Pittsburgh.

In mid-2013, I decided to switch careers from technical writing to Linux system administration. Soon after, I was able to get my first job as a system administrator through the WPLUG mailing lists. If any of you are familiar with Klaatu, who produces the GNU World Order netcast, I took over for him.

I'd now like to relocate to somewhere in the Akron-Canton area - or possibly Cleveland, but the Cleveland LUG looks like it's dead. I was wondering if any you could recommend companies, headhunters, or individuals who may have an interest in hiring an RHCSA-level system administrator. I'm currently working toward a networking certification as well as MySQL/MariaDB and Python.

I am also willing to consider positions that are a bit lower on the totem pole so long as the experience is relevant to a career in Linux/Unix.

alex kot

Jan 21, 2015, 11:48:29 AM1/21/15
to akro...@googlegroups.com

Hello Justin,

NEO(North East Ohio) is a pretty large Windows shop.  Though there are many companies that use Linux.  I know for example Sterling Jewelers (Akron, Ohio) has a very large Red Hat infrastructure.  There are also a lot of startup companies popping up in the Akron area that use Linux   For Job hunting I would create a LinkedIn profile and network with people.  I would also use Dice or indeed for searches.  It never hurts to go to events; those are usually the best way to find a good job.

David Coulson

Jan 21, 2015, 12:32:49 PM1/21/15
to akro...@googlegroups.com
As well as Sterling (who I work for) there are a bunch of other places:

OfficeMax
Safeguard
Goodyear
Jo-Ann
Summa
Akron Children's

Scott McCarty

Jan 21, 2015, 1:18:20 PM1/21/15
to David Coulson, akro...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, as well as:

Sherwin Williams
Key Bank
First Energy
Firestone (IT)
Eaton
MTD
Explorys
Cleveland Clinic

As well as business units (and acquisitions) of:
Nationwide
Cardinal Health

Best Regards
Scott M

admf...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2015, 8:55:25 PM1/21/15
to akro...@googlegroups.com, Justin Smith
i've heard that hyland software is looking
https://www.onbase.com/en/about/careers/apply