What is the resource diff between LXD and Docker ?

Harvey Rothenberg

Jan 6, 2015, 7:27:02 PM1/6/15
to akro...@googlegroups.com
Could a member who is experienced, explain and/or provide information as to the hardware and software difference between these two containers.  I understand that LXD is Linux only.  Besides this difference is there any other positives or negatives between these two resources ?  Could a Respberry Pi be strong enough to server this provided server or could it be a Pi Cluster ?

I will thank the membership ahead of time for their time.

Sincerely,
Harvey Rothenberg

David Egts

Jan 6, 2015, 8:10:12 PM1/6/15
to Harvey Rothenberg, Akron Linux Users Group
On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Harvey Rothenberg
<grtlks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could a member who is experienced, explain and/or provide information as to
> the hardware and software difference between these two containers.

Docker is a container technology. LXD is "just enough operating
system" to run containers (like Docker).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-lxd-not-a-docker-replacement-a-docker-enhancement/

LXD is a container host similar to Project Atomic, RHEL Atomic,
CoreOS, and others.

> understand that LXD is Linux only.

Yes. With Docker like in the case of LXD, you typically have a Linux
kernel on the host that is shared by all containers and the containers
can have differing Linux user space runtimes.

If you want to mix OSes (like Windows and Linux), you want to use
traditional virtualization.

Windows is doing some things with Docker too (but it too is all
homogeneous, as in all Windows)...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/docker-container-support-coming-to-microsofts-next-windows-server-release/

> Besides this difference is there any
> other positives or negatives between these two resources ? Could a
> Respberry Pi be strong enough to server this provided server or could it be
> a Pi Cluster ?

Docker is mostly x86_64 for now. That said...

https://resin.io/blog/docker-on-raspberry-pi-in-4-simple-steps/

Also note that you can't mix and match computer architectures with
Docker (no x86 containers on an ARM container host or vice versa,
etc.).

As far as "a Pi cluster" goes, it depends what you want to with it.
You're still sharing the CPU and RAM, both of which aren't in
plentiful supply on a Pi even without containers.

Dave