ANN: Akka 1.0 final is relesead

Jonas Bonér

Feb 16, 2011, 2:15:07 AM2/16/11
to Akka User List

We are proud to announce Akka 1.0. It the fruit of 2 years hard work of an excellent and a passionate team and fantastic user community.

What is Akka?

Akka is the platform for the next generation event-driven, scalable and fault-tolerant architectures on the JVM.

Akka implements a unique hybrid of:

  • Actors, which gives you:
    • Simple and high-level abstractions for concurrency and parallelism.
    • Asynchronous, non-blocking and highly performant event-driven programming model.
    • Very lightweight event-driven threads (create ~13 million actors on 8 G RAM).
  • High-availability through supervisor hierarchies with let-it-crash semantics. Excellent for writing highly fault-tolerant systems that never stop, systems that self-heal.
  • Software Transactional Memory (STM). (Distributed transactions coming soon).
  • Transactors: combine actors and STM into transactional actors. Allows you to compose atomic message flows with automatic retry and rollback.
  • Remote actors: highly performant distributed actors with remote supervision and error management.
  • Agents & Dataflow Concurrency
  • Java and Scala API.

What’s new in 1.0?

Here is a list of the most major new features since 0.10.

  • Updated to Scala 2.8.1
  • Vastly improved Java APIs across the board
  • Say less, do more! Boilerplate reduction surgery performed.
  • Fewer deps for using actors only: akka-core is split into akka-actor, akka-remote, akka-stm and akka-typed-actor
  • Lower per-actor memory footprint gives you 25% more actors on the same hardware
  • HTTP module now includes Mist, the ultra-low overhead asynchronous bridge between HTTP and Actors
  • Brand new, sparkling and much better Transactor implementation
  • Vast improvements to the remoting:
  •   - New API that will allow to plug in different transports in the future (0MQ, AMQP or others)
    • Per-session Remote Actors
    • Secure cookie handshake for Remote Actors
    • Untrusted mode to use with untrusted clients
  • Microkernel servlet container switched from Grizzly to Jetty
  • Akka Actors now have a sender abstract called Channel that can safely be passed around
  • ExecutorBasedEventDrivenDispatcher scalability and performance has been vastly improved
  • ThreadBasedDispatcher is now implemented on top of EBEDD, leveraging all the improvements it has received
  • Futures now support registering onComplete callbacks
  • The Futures companion object is completely reengineered and supports lots of convenience methods for interacting with Futures
  • Improved Akka Camel module
  • Improved Akka AMQP module
  • New FSM (Finite State Machine) module with slick DSL
  • New persistence backends: Voldemort, HBase, Memcached, Membase, SimpleDB and CouchDB!
  • Site, docs and Maven repository moved from http://akkasource.org  to http://akka.io
  • Package changed to "akka._" instead of "se.scalablesolutions._"
  • Countless minor improvements, tweaks, tunes and fixes.

Read the full release notes.

Read the migration guide.

Where can I get it?

Download Akka & Akka Modules: http://akka.io/downloads/

Check out the source: https://github.com/jboner/akka/tree/v1.0

https://github.com/jboner/akka-modules/tree/v1.0

Where is Akka used?

Akka is deployed in production at numerous companies in many different areas:

  • Finance/Banking
  • Betting/Gaming
  • Telecom
  • Simulation
  • Television/Media
  • eCommerce
  • Social Media sites

Common theme across all these industries are systems that are highly transactional, needs high throughput, low latency and carrier-grade availability (5 nines or more).

What is Akka used for?

  • Transaction Processing Systems
  • Reliable Services Systems
  • Enterprise Integration Platform
  • EDA - CQRS, Event Sourcing
  • Complex Event Stream Processing
  • Simulation
  • Grid Computing
  • Analysis of large datasets
  • Batch Processing

Professional support and products

Since a year Akka now has professional support through Scalable Solutions which also offers the Cloudy Akka commercial product suite for Akka; including clustering, load-balancing, replication, deployment, monitoring/management etc.

What do the users think?

"Akka has been in used for almost a year now (since 0.7) and has been used successfully for two projects so far. Akka has enabled us to deliver very flexible, scalable and high performing systems with as little friction as possible. The Actor model has simplified a lot of concerns in the type of systems that we build and is now part of our reference architecture. With Akka we deliver systems that meet the most strict performance requirements of our clients in a near-realtime environment. We have found the Akka framework and it's support team invaluable."

- Raymond Roestenburg - CSC

“We have been in production for over 18 months with zero downtime. The core is rock solid, never a problem, performance is great, integration capabilities are diverse and ever growing, and the toolkit is just a pleasure to work with. Combine that with the excellent response you get from the devs and users on this list and you have a winner. Absolutely no regrets on our part for choosing to work with Akka.”

- Ross McDonald  - Thatcham

“Akka actors have a lot of things going for them : they are very scalable, they have high performance, they work very well in distributed systems.”

           - Martin Odersky - Scala Solutions

“I’m currently working in a project at the Swedish Television where we’re developing a subtitling system with collaboration capabilities similar to Google Wave. It’s a mission critical system and the design and server implementation is all based on Akka and actors etc. We’ve been running in production for about 6 months and have been upgrading Akka whenever a new release comes out. We’ve never had a single bug due to Akka, and it’s been a pure pleasure to work with. I would choose Akka any day of the week!”

- Christer Sandberg - Swedish Television

Martin Krasser

Feb 16, 2011, 2:22:51 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonas,

Congratulations to this release. Very excited about this important milestone.

�

�I�m currently working in a project at the Swedish Television where we�re developing a subtitling system with collaboration capabilities similar to Google Wave. It�s a mission critical system and the design and server implementation is all based on Akka and actors etc. We�ve been running in production for about 6 months and have been upgrading Akka whenever a new release comes out. We�ve never had a single bug due to Akka, and it�s been a pure pleasure to work with. I would choose Akka any day of the week!�

- Christer Sandberg - Swedish Television

Martin Krasser

blog:    http://krasserm.blogspot.com
code:    http://github.com/krasserm
twitter: http://twitter.com/mrt1nz

Debasish Ghosh

Feb 16, 2011, 2:29:16 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on this big milestone. This is huge! Really excited ..

Debasish Ghosh
http://manning.com/ghosh

Twttr: @debasishg
Blog: http://debasishg.blogspot.com
Code: http://github.com/debasishg

√iktor Klang

Feb 16, 2011, 2:30:39 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo!

Leaving for NY in 20 minutes, champagne on plane for sure. :D

Great work guys, you've done a fantastic job!

Cheers,

Am 16.02.11 08:15, schrieb Jonas Bonér:

[...]

Viktor Klang,
Code Connoisseur
Work:   Scalable Solutions
Code:   github.com/viktorklang
Follow: twitter.com/viktorklang
Read:   klangism.tumblr.com

Peter Veentjer

Feb 16, 2011, 2:37:37 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo, congratulations! :)

So now up to Akka 1.1!

Raymond Roestenburg

Feb 16, 2011, 2:45:51 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations everyone!

Raymond Roestenburg

Jonas Bonér

Feb 16, 2011, 2:50:19 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys. You are all part of it. Proud of you.
--
Jonas Bonér
Specialist at Large

Martin Krasser <kras...@googlemail.com> skrev:
Hi Jonas,

Congratulations to this release. Very excited about this important milestone.

Am 16.02.11 08:15, schrieb Jonas Bonér:

We are proud to announce Akka 1.0. It the fruit of 2 years hard work of an excellent and a passionate team and fantastic user community.

--
Martin Krasser

blog:    http://krasserm.blogspot.com

Irmo Manie

Feb 16, 2011, 3:41:46 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Nice one! Congrats all! :-)

Michael Kober

Feb 16, 2011, 3:51:19 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! Great work guys!
/Mike

Ross McDonald

Feb 16, 2011, 4:18:42 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Cool beans!  Been waiting for this for a long time, very excited.  Now I need the boss to give me time to upgrade and roll this out :-)

Congratulations guys, now maybe you can relax for a couple of seconds...

--
Ross McDonald
Sent with Sparrow

Derek Williams

Feb 16, 2011, 8:04:17 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
> We are proud to announce Akka 1.0. It the fruit of 2 years hard work of an
> excellent and a passionate team and fantastic user community.

Great news!

--
Derek

Heiko Seeberger

Feb 16, 2011, 8:12:45 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Yay! Congratulations!
Jonas, Victor and the other committers did a tremendous job to make this awesome piece of software happen. Rock on!

Heiko

Heiko Seeberger

Company: weiglewilczek.com
Blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net
Akka - Simpler Scalability, Fault-Tolerance, Concurrency & Remoting through Actors: akka.io

Xavier Bourguignon

Feb 16, 2011, 8:15:43 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to all the team !

Nouhoum TRAORE

Feb 16, 2011, 10:01:34 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to you guys and happy hAkking to all!

Cheers,

Nouhoum TRAORE

Giovanni

Feb 16, 2011, 4:27:32 AM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

I am sure that Akka will have a very bright future!

Best regards,
giovanni

Nouhoum TRAORE

Feb 16, 2011, 9:41:55 AM2/16/11
to Akka User List
Hi Jonas,

Congratulations! Akka is really impressive! Long life Akka. Happy
hAkking to all!

Nouhoum TRAORE

On Feb 16, 8:15 am, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
> [...]
> on our part for choosing to work with Akka.”*
>
> *   *- Ross McDonald  - Thatcham
>
> *“Akka actors have a lot of things going for them : they are very scalable,
> they have high performance, they work very well in distributed systems.”*
>
> **
>
>              - Martin Odersky - Scala Solutions
>
> *“I’m currently working in a project at the Swedish Television where we’re
> developing a subtitling system with collaboration capabilities similar to
> Google Wave. It’s a mission critical system and the design and server
> implementation is all based on Akka and actors etc. We’ve been running in
> production for about 6 months and have been upgrading Akka whenever a new
> release comes out. We’ve never had a single bug due to Akka, and it’s been a
> pure pleasure to work with. I would choose Akka any day of the week!”*
>
> *   *- Christer Sandberg - Swedish Television

David Bolene

Feb 16, 2011, 10:52:06 AM2/16/11
to Akka User List
Jonas and team (Viktor esp),

What a great effort. Congrats to you guys.

david...

On Feb 16, 1:15 am, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
> [...]
> on our part for choosing to work with Akka.”*
>
> *   *- Ross McDonald  - Thatcham
>
> *“Akka actors have a lot of things going for them : they are very scalable,
> they have high performance, they work very well in distributed systems.”*
>
> **
>
>              - Martin Odersky - Scala Solutions
>
> *“I’m currently working in a project at the Swedish Television where we’re
> developing a subtitling system with collaboration capabilities similar to
> Google Wave. It’s a mission critical system and the design and server
> implementation is all based on Akka and actors etc. We’ve been running in
> production for about 6 months and have been upgrading Akka whenever a new
> release comes out. We’ve never had a single bug due to Akka, and it’s been a
> pure pleasure to work with. I would choose Akka any day of the week!”*
>
> *   *- Christer Sandberg - Swedish Television

Scott Clasen

Feb 16, 2011, 12:23:26 PM2/16/11
to Akka User List
Awesome. Congrats to everyone!!!

On Feb 15, 11:15 pm, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
> [...]
> on our part for choosing to work with Akka.”*
>
> *   *- Ross McDonald  - Thatcham
>
> *“Akka actors have a lot of things going for them : they are very scalable,
> they have high performance, they work very well in distributed systems.”*
>
> **
>
>              - Martin Odersky - Scala Solutions
>
> *“I’m currently working in a project at the Swedish Television where we’re
> developing a subtitling system with collaboration capabilities similar to
> Google Wave. It’s a mission critical system and the design and server
> implementation is all based on Akka and actors etc. We’ve been running in
> production for about 6 months and have been upgrading Akka whenever a new
> release comes out. We’ve never had a single bug due to Akka, and it’s been a
> pure pleasure to work with. I would choose Akka any day of the week!”*
>
> *   *- Christer Sandberg - Swedish Television

Mario Gleichmann

Feb 16, 2011, 1:28:29 PM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to the whole team. You all did a fantastic job!

Mario

... and now for some well deserved (virtual) fireworks: Bang, Bang-Bang, Bang-Bang-Bang ... ;o)

Jonathan Schwietert

Feb 16, 2011, 3:46:50 PM2/16/11
to Akka User List
I'm stoked to hear that! Congratulations! It's been a pleasure to
write against and the capabilities continue to impress :)

Jonathan

On Feb 16, 11:28 am, Mario Gleichmann

√iktor Klang

Feb 16, 2011, 5:46:30 PM2/16/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, everyone has done a marvellous job

I feel very proud!

Luciano Fiandesio

Feb 17, 2011, 5:04:53 AM2/17/11
to Akka User List