Instrumenting Akka

Ognen Duzlevski

May 27, 2015, 9:24:18 AM5/27/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I have an Actor system that implements a polling functionality (every x minutes an Actor is woken up and it creates a bunch of other actors that do something and then get "killed"). However, over a few days of running I get GC Out of Memory errors. What tools are out there to instrument what is going on and why I am running out of memory? I suppose one possibility is that some actors are queueing up messages and eventually the queue gets too large? How do I find out what is going on?

Thanks!

Adam

May 28, 2015, 2:08:32 AM5/28/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
You can take 2 heap dumps a day or more apart and then use Eclipse MAT to compare them (there's a compare basket feature that is very useful in such cases).

Actually there's a good chance that even a single heap dump will suffice if the JVM has been running for long enough. Try to use the leak suspects report. It usually points to the right place.

Akka Team

May 29, 2015, 9:15:25 AM5/29/15
to Akka User List
I agree with Adam, heapdump and/or analyse the system with a jvm tool/profiler of your choice (visualvm, yourkit, jprofiler etc).

-- Konrad

--
---

Akka Team