Akka Java IO TLS

Vinay Gajjala

Jul 18, 2016, 12:13:33 PM7/18/16
to Akka User List
Hi

I am a newbie in Akka and I implemented a TCP server which listens to device traffic. I have searched online and could not find any concrete examples of how to configure TLS using Akka IO.

I am not sure if I am missing the obvious.

Thanks in advance,
Vinay

Vinay Gajjala

Jul 21, 2016, 3:12:44 PM7/21/16
to Akka User List
After rethinking and researching was wondering if I can configure/code the netty API which Akka uses to achieve the TLS. I am now sure how efficient is this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Vinay

Akka Team

Jul 27, 2016, 11:36:25 AM7/27/16
to Akka User List
The easiest path would probably be Akka Streams for TCP (http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.4/scala/stream/stream-io.html) and the existing TLS graph module (http://doc.akka.io/api/akka/2.4/#akka.stream.scaladsl.TLS$). There isn't much documentation on the TLS module, but you should be able look at how it is used in Akka HTTP.

I don't think you would benefit hugely from the fact that Akka remoting uses Netty if you want to go down that path, most of the classes are Akka private and not very generic. You can of course just introduce Netty as a separate dependency and use that directly if you want.

--
Johan

---

Любен

Aug 4, 2016, 6:19:52 PM8/4/16
to akka...@googlegroups.com
I have found handing SSL/TLS from JVM a PITA. Why you don't put the SSL termination in front of the Akka HTTP endpoint (e.g. nginx) ?

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 11:13:33 AM UTC-5, Vinay Gajjala wrote:
Hi

I am a newbie in Akka and I implemented a TCP server which listens to device traffic. I have searched online and could not find any concrete examples of how to configure TLS using Akka IO.

I am not sure if I am missing the obvious.

Thanks in advance,
Vinay

---

---

Konrad Malawski

Aug 4, 2016, 6:20:49 PM8/4/16
to akka...@googlegroups.com, Любен
I have found handing SSL/TLS from JVM a PITA. Why you don't put the SSL termination in front of the Akka HTTP endpoint (e.g. nginx) ?

I'd honestly +1 that  (a lot).

--

Konrad `ktoso` Malawski
Akka @ Lightbend

Vinay Gajjala

Aug 8, 2016, 12:17:12 PM8/8/16
to Akka User List, kara...@gmail.com
Thank you for the response. I will surely try your suggestions. I thought I might not have explained my problem clearly so I created another post with more details you can search this string ("Akka v2.3.14 with Java 7 - TLS configuration") to find it in the group

Regards
Vinay