Akka and Node.js

Andi Nugroho Dirgantara

Jul 4, 2015, 2:21:36 AM7/4/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have case that needs manipulate large stream of JSON and injecting it to Apache HBase. Since JVM is not as good as Node.js when manipulating JSON, so I choose to use Node.js instead.

To enchance my system scalability, I prefer using Actor Model by Akka for messaging instead any other messaging queue system. It's because Actor Model that Akka provide gives me any advantages about fail safe, Actor management, and other features that's very helpful to make my job done. But it still in JVM layer that directly injecting and consuming data from HBase.

I want my Node.js apps also works under Akka system maybe using node-java. Is it good practice? If it's not, is there any solution that Node.js can communicate with Akka?

I also created a Programmers SE question here.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Justin du coeur

Jul 6, 2015, 3:14:14 PM7/6/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Andi Nugroho Dirgantara <andi.n.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

I want my Node.js apps also works under Akka system maybe using node-java. Is it good practice? If it's not, is there any solution that Node.js can communicate with Akka?

If you particularly want to run under Node.js, you may want to look into Scala.js, which outputs JavaScript instead of JVM, and thus runs natively under Node.  There are folks in that community who are working on porting Akka to Scala.js.  (Akka.js is still under development, but I gather they've made good progress.)